Let me show you my newest MOC, a skid steer loader (or compact loader):

Features:

- All wheel drive with 2 PF M motors

- Arms: 1 PF M motor, 2 big LAs

- Bucket: 1 PF M motor, 2 mini LAs

dsc_1072.jpg

dsc_1075.jpg

dsc_1077.jpg

More picture can be found on my BrickShelf page: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=534051

And a short video on it:

Sweet. I've tried a similar scale with pneumatics and autovalves but couldn't fit 'em.

Really sleek and smooth looking and the functionality seems top notch too.

How much weight can it lift before tipping over?

WOW! Very authentic design. I grew up around skid-steers (dealership) and this is spot on. Do you have more pictures, or an LDD file? I would love to build one. Very cool.

Mike

Edited by Kronos

Very nice and sweet excavator! :wub::wub::wub:

I've tried the motorized 8265 last weekend, but this little machine is much nicer!

Edit: i've built not the 8479 but the 8265 Loader.

Edited by kabelbinder

Cool design. It shows the issues with using LAs instead of pneumatics because you had to run a mechanical connection down the boom to tip the bucket. It looks like this forced you to use a simple hinge for lifting the boom instead of the typical vertical lift mechanism that skid steer loaders usually use.

So much in so little space! Really nice one.

About the LA's... we need some flex axle extender, like those used in Dremel tools.

Good little skid steer loader,I made a tracked one a while ago.

There good fun to drive around the room with.

Cool design. It shows the issues with using LAs instead of pneumatics because you had to run a mechanical connection down the boom to tip the bucket. It looks like this forced you to use a simple hinge for lifting the boom instead of the typical vertical lift mechanism that skid steer loaders usually use.

My loader had that kind of connection,It was actually really good how it worked.

i was driving one of these today, and started thinking: "maybe i should build one in technic?" then i come home and see this topic!

great build! would lova an ldd of it

Great little machine. Tricky but rewarding to build. In my experience, they should be made slower rather than faster, to provide better steering control.

Thanks for your replies.

- I didn't measure how much it can lift exactly. Maybe half a kilogram or so.

- Yesterday I started making the lxf in the LDD but it'll take a while to finish since I have very limited time nowadays (family...) In the worst case I'll take detailed photos on the vehicle when taking apart.

Thanks for your replies.

- Yesterday I started making the lxf in the LDD but it'll take a while to finish since I have very limited time nowadays (family...) In the worst case I'll take detailed photos on the vehicle when taking apart.

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

-Mike

How did you make the skid steering so smooth? Are the right front and left rear controlled by one motor and the left front and right rear by the other?

How did you make the skid steering so smooth? Are the right front and left rear controlled by one motor and the left front and right rear by the other?

No, one motor drives the two wheels on the left and another motor drives the two wheels on the right. You can see it on this pic:

dsc_1079.jpg

When I first saw the topic heading I thought of pneumatics. Was not expecting LA's to be used but it shows what you can do with the different techniques.

H

My Kubota tractor has a similar scoop mechanism (but with hydraulics)... I love this model. I think it has an excellent application in line follow robots when combined with a PID. I can't wait to see the LDD. I would buy this as a Technics kit for sure. Awesome job!

Edited by TasV