skcheung

Friends' Theme Park (1): Grand Carousel 10196

gallery_15845_212_1480.png

Ever wish to own a LEGO grand carousel (10196) but be disappointed by the appetite spoiling price? Here comes an alternative. If you don't mind using paper instead of the original canvas and running the carousel without the authentic music brick, this set shall be good enough.

You may be astonished to learn that this set cost me not more than US$500. I have ordered parts from about 8 bricklink stores.

In a lax sense I shall call this set a MOC. I have altered the original set. Its outline looks rather the same as 10196 but you may find a lot of changes when you look into the details. This helps to save my cost.

Enjoy.

8741712286_9203b732ca_c.jpg

8741712018_067819b5b3_c.jpg

8741710892_51951e3020_c.jpg

8740587993_b498d49b42_c.jpg

I have installed lightings...

8740582379_747f07d1d8_c.jpg

8740594179_3c113173a7_c.jpg

Want a picture, girls of LEGO friends?

8741709326_1ba8b34868_c.jpg

Warning: your soul will be caught by this carousel at night time....

8741702826_fcd7fa60a4_c.jpg

Two sets of lights in operation...

8740587395_33c35075ca_c.jpg

8741701262_71f6d0e95c_c.jpg

Want to watch a video? Here it is. They are similar. You may just choose any one:

(If you use a mobile phone)

(If you use a laptop or desktop)

Almost forget to tell you -- this is the first one in a series.

Edited by Pandora

Wow! Wonderful use of Friends! Like the custom horses, motion, music and lights in the video. Way to go!

Great interpretation of the iconic Grand Carousel. I think the Friends theme and color combo works really, really well.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

This is so colourful and detailed, and it's a great idea to build your own Carousel but put a different spin on it. There are so many interesting things to spot, like the microfigs on the rim of the Carousel canopy, and a good number of 1x1 trans-pink glitter bricks. I love the multi-coloured light caused by the rainbow stack of trans bricks - they still look pretty with the lights off too.

Really lovely job, and I'm looking forward to more in the series. :thumbup:

(If you're producing a series of Carousels I'll leave this here in Special, but if it's a series of Friends themepark rides I'll steal it to Town. :grin: )

Great job. I like the light effects too. As for the roof where did you get the paper? Did you make it yourself? $500 still seems a little bit too much for me to invest in building this though. The smaller version in the winter village market seems a suitable replacement to me.

(If you're producing a series of Carousels I'll leave this here in Special, but if it's a series of Friends themepark rides I'll steal it to Town. :grin: )

Yes, it is a serial project of FRIENDS theme park.

As for the roof where did you get the paper? Did you make it yourself? $500 still seems a little bit too much for me to invest in building this though.

They are just ordinary colour paper.

$500 too much or not? That depends. But everyone knows it is a fact that the speculate price of MISB is $1100+... and my daughter really goes nut about my set... I suppose, given the girly colours I have used, she would be less crazy for the original set, LOL.

Yes, it is a serial project of FRIENDS theme park.

Then we're off to Town, the home of Friends and Minifig (and Minidoll) scale Town MOCs.

Hold on tightly, hands inside the car at all times, scream if you wanna go faster.... :grin:

wow, I was looking at this with my daughter over my shoulder, now I am in trouble, LOL, she loved it and wants me to build one, being a non creative AFOL is hazardous to my health...just an excellent job overall, every detail is a lot of fun, congrats on such a good one

Great version of the carousel, the colours and lights make me smile.

With the sails, how did you measure out the size? Do you have a template or measurements available? I'm looking to do a recoloured versions myself (slightly more subtle than yours :wink: )

Edited by oz the malefic

The sails.... are actually ordinary paper only. I don't have any template. I merely make some trials after I have finished building. Not a difficult task, just locate the technic pins and then punch holes.

Hi, how u put the sound effect in?

Digitally, but you should just search google for it because this forum has nothing to do with video editing.

sidenote: you know that this project is like 2 years old?

I know that usually moderators tell people those things to people but I just want to help :classic:

Edited by THERIZE