Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

Or a weight limit? :D

That is something I was seriously thinking about when I wrote my comment. Not sure if everyone has a kitchen scale or small scale though.

9 minutes ago, Jim said:

That is something I was seriously thinking about when I wrote my comment. Not sure if everyone has a kitchen scale or small scale though.

I don't have a scale like that, for one, though I suppose in a pinch one could add up the weight by using the listed weights on Bricklink.

6 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I don't have a scale like that, for one, though I suppose in a pinch one could add up the weight by using the listed weights on Bricklink.

That could be an option, but a bounding box limit seem like the most convenient solution.

I like this ideia... maybe size and part number limit together, to avoid too much big parts usage.

I like the idea of multiple entries per contestant... as long as grohl is not allowed to participate! :classic:

Maybe a maximum of three entries per contestant.

I like the polybag idea.

As to the limits we’ve actually had the part count limit at least twice.

there was the MINI contest as other have said but also the TRIPLE contest was 3 linked modes of 500 pieces max.

if you go polybag it should be reasonably easy to have a photo of the parts. Asking people to do instructions or even Studio/LDD files I think is a step too far.

On 2/3/2022 at 4:36 PM, 2GodBDGlory said:

We could do an unfinished MOC contest! No entry may be more than 53% complete!

That's one I might be able to enter!
So rare that I finish a MOC, and so many hours if I do, well above the 8-week maximum in the poll.
Nemo (below) took 250 hours.
I did manage a record this year though; 119 hours of building (including research) in the 31 days from January 3rd till February 2nd, but the self-start vision for a MOC has to coincide with the right comp!  The potential MOC will take 300-400 hours to the first draft if success continues.

Mark

I pull out alternative build contest again.

I know we already did in before but it is allowed combine 2 set if part count not over 600.

I want see real alternative build contest. You can choose any set at listed in technic theme. Unlimited part count(if it count as single set. not like 66318), no limit in electronic.

Only limit is can't use any other thing if that is not included in set. (like string, rubber band, pneumatic hose...)

Easy to make rule, easy to join.

On 2/3/2022 at 1:52 PM, Jim said:

Have we done part limit in the past or did we have the same discussion and switched to "bounding box limitations"? If memory serves me right, it was the latter and we haven't had any part number limit. 

TC9 had a bounding box limit... I remember some discussion about half and quarter stud measurements.... :ugh:

+1 for the polybag/small part count/something "manageable" :thumbup:

On 2/4/2022 at 6:19 PM, msk6003 said:

I pull out alternative build contest again.

I know we already did in before but it is allowed combine 2 set if part count not over 600.

I want see real alternative build contest. You can choose any set at listed in technic theme. Unlimited part count(if it count as single set. not like 66318), no limit in electronic.

Only limit is can't use any other thing if that is not included in set. (like string, rubber band, pneumatic hose...)

Easy to make rule, easy to join.

Idea is nice, but I think we will have a 'big' problem here, which @SaperPL and even @Jim pointed out earlier: Biggest models nearly always win such contests, therefor you have to have enough time, which is the most crucial resource of AFOLs, at least in my perception.

I am still in favor of the polybag contest (max. 100 parts, weight limit of 100 g). As we will have many entries, definetely the new formula 1 voting scheme has to be applied here :D

We will do a "limited build" shortly-ish.

I would love to see the re-run of TC18 with the restriction to pure Technic/studless approach in spirit of this video:

Which points out that Speed Champoins is awesome in context of collectibles as those sets are not expensive and standardised size allows to have it lined up side by side neatly. And we don't have that in Technic as the sizes are all over the place. Making a contest around this topic would be great idea to share this issue.

One thing that I'd like to add to such contest would be requirement to provide a CAD model for inspections and maybe for cool comparison and renders showing the overall contest. Not necessarily something that has steps for instructions, but a model for comparison. For a small build, this is something that'd make sense and would make the contest more interesting. And a lot of people are already making CAD models for such projects before they start building, so it's not that big of a problem.

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

Idea is nice, but I think we will have a 'big' problem here, which @SaperPL and even @Jim pointed out earlier: Biggest models nearly always win such contests, therefor you have to have enough time, which is the most crucial resource of AFOLs, at least in my perception.

@msk6003 stated limit of 600 pieces however, so it's not that bad. My issue still would be here that if you pick two huge/expensive sets, you still have better choice of bricks to build something properly in contrast to picking up two small sets and using 90% of the pieces. I like the idea of contest using two sets, but once we'll get on this topic, people will start pushing for the use of bigger sets, at least for the sake of having some specific parts in bigger quantities etc. I'd also consider a contest about b-models with added 10% of bricks out of the set or something like this, where you're almost there with what the set has, but you need some critical pieces or minor touches - this is also something that would allow to build those cheaply in contrast to getting all pieces for a custom build.

On 2/3/2022 at 5:18 PM, Jundis said:

Or a weight limit?

While i really like a size limit, i'm against a weight or part limit. They might exclude tracked and/or technical dense models.

Maybe define a volume, rather than specified x, y and z limits? That way we can expect more unusual shapes which are always fun :classic:

3 minutes ago, schraubedrin said:

Maybe define a volume, rather than specified x, y and z limits? That way we can expect more unusual shapes which are always fun :classic:

That is an interesting thought/approach.

Volume limits need to take into account possible protruding functions, is a mobile crane entry eligible when deployed for lifting?

1 hour ago, schraubedrin said:

While i really like a size limit, i'm against a weight or part limit. They might exclude tracked and/or technical dense models.

Ok, tracked vehicles are really hindered here, or you use the rubber track for such builds...

A volume limitation is kind of hard to distinguish as @howitzer already pointed out. But I guess Jim already has something in mind :-)

1 minute ago, Jundis said:

A volume limitation is kind of hard to distinguish as @howitzer already pointed out. But I guess Jim already has something in mind :-)

It's not that hard if you ask me; we had a "boundary box limit" in the past. This boundary was (for example) 20 studs wide x 30 studs long x 20 studs high = 12.000 cubic studs.

If we say the limit is 12.000 cubic studs you can also go for 16 wide x 45 studs long x 15 studs high = 10800 cubic studs.

4 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Ok, tracked vehicles are really hindered here, or you use the rubber track for such builds...

I don't see how they are hindered.

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

Volume limits need to take into account possible protruding functions, is a mobile crane entry eligible when deployed for lifting?

If I recall correctly, in the past contest the model was allowed to protrude the bounding box as long as it was able to fit the bounding box. So the crane should be able to fit the bounding box when the boom is down and retracted etc.

Tracked vehicles might be hindered by part count (lots of small parts needed).

Small size competition sounds intreguing.

5 minutes ago, Heppu said:

Tracked vehicles might be hindered by part count (lots of small parts needed).

I thought we were talking about volume, but they are indeed hindered by part count.

14 hours ago, SaperPL said:

I would love to see the re-run of TC18 with the restriction to pure Technic/studless approach in spirit of this video:

Building micro scale car with max tire size 30.4 will be good for follow up of TC18. Like this.

And I mean we did already 600 part, 2 set limit contest before. I want no limit except really one set.

Edited by msk6003
37 is to big for micro scale

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

Looking forward to it @Jim … can we have a decent amount of time for it as I’m away for a week at Easter.

You always get a decent amount of time :laugh:

What are you thinking of?

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

For whole summer, at least

Define whole summer? The summer ends September 23rd. That seems like an awefully long period :laugh:

Summer starts 21st of June, so until summer seems like a better target.

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Summer starts 21st of June, so until summer seems like a better target.

Approved. :pir-classic:

15 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Building micro scale car with max tire size 30.4 will be good for follow up of TC18. Like this.

Or like this https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-56258 :D

15 hours ago, msk6003 said:

And I mean we did already 600 part, 2 set limit contest before. I want no limit except really one set.

To be honest I'm not really so keen on making an alt model contest and I'm afraid not a lot of people would actually participate except from the expert instruction makers because of that. While this of course may bring some people into alt building, others will try it and end up disappointed in the contest because there will be huge quality gap between pros and them, so it will be no contest with just that. Pros will know which set to pick for the best possibilities for example.