Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

1 minute ago, 1974 said:

This is worded somewhat oddly ... Do you mean a studded Technic set into a studless Technic set?

If not, there isn't a whole lot of normal System sets that can be build that have the same scale?

I know you haven’t finalised it yet but could it just be the old technic studded sets.

33 minutes ago, Jim said:

Mindstorm is allowed? I want remake some spybotics or something.

Edited by msk6003

1 hour ago, msk6003 said:

Mindstorm is allowed? I want remake some spybotics or something.

This is not in the spirit of the contest. Spybotics aren't studded LEGO sets, right?!

1 hour ago, 1974 said:

This is worded somewhat oddly ... Do you mean a studded Technic set into a studless Technic set?

Rebuild a studded LEGO set (Technic or other theme) into a studless Technic version.

1 hour ago, 1974 said:

If not, there isn't a whole lot of normal System sets that can be build that have the same scale?

The scale thing can indeed be an issue. Hmmmm, how do we solve that.

Maybe we need to lose the same scale rule.

And maybe we need to skip electronics alltogether. That's not what this contes is about.

If you're doing away with the scale requirement, then basically it's a free-for-all contest where anything goes that Lego has ever produced, which is, basically anything besides tanks. Someone builds a dragon and calls it a remake of a creator set. I still wonder what that would add above just the normal forum where people can already build anything they want?

I'd say, if you're going all themes, the scale requirement is a good way to have at least some limitation, which indeed rules out many sets such as tiny City cars. But isn't that the idea? That it's not "anything goes"? That at least it's similar to a clearly recognizable set?

30 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

If you're doing away with the scale requirement, then basically it's a free-for-all contest where anything goes that Lego has ever produced, which is, basically anything besides tanks. Someone builds a dragon and calls it a remake of a creator set. I still wonder what that would add above just the normal forum where people can already build anything they want?

I'd say, if you're going all themes, the scale requirement is a good way to have at least some limitation, which indeed rules out many sets such as tiny City cars. But isn't that the idea? That it's not "anything goes"? That at least it's similar to a clearly recognizable set?

I think it would suffice to say that the overall shape has to match. If it's a Town small car, than the counterpart can be a big, but oddly shaped Technic car. It would be quite funny, but it requires prejudging entries.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place :tongue:

Maybe excluding lincenced stuff (lincenced cars so all Speed Champions, star wars and crap) would also suffice, it would be harder to exploit the contest theme, and would make it harder to tailor already-built models to fit the theme.

I know I don't speak Engléish, I hope you get what I mean by "licenced".

The 50% jury + 50% community vote thing is also a good idea, this way the jurys can make sure the most fitting entries have bigger chance of winning.

17 minutes ago, Lipko said:

Maybe excluding lincenced stuff (lincenced cars so all Speed Champions, star wars and crap) would also suffice, it would be harder to exploit the contest them

Don’t forget we remake it in technic so some steps are close to impossible to rebuild.

Let's go with option A to make it more interesting, but we need to ditch the scale requirement. 

Rebuild a studded LEGO set (any theme) into a studless Technic version.

• Doesn't have to be an exact replica, but you need to get as close as possible.
    • Use the same shapes
    • Include as many details as possible
    • etc
  • There will be probably be some sort of jury voting or 50/50.
  • No electronics

A sounds good to me, but I would prefer keeping the scale the same. How about +-5% as measured by studs/modules for the rebuild?

24 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

I would prefer keeping the scale the same. How about +-5% as measured by studs/modules for the rebuild?

We need to lose the scale requirement. I am all for true scaling, but it will render most of the iconic minifig vehicles/aircraft/vessels unusable.

6 minutes ago, Milan said:

We need to lose the scale requirement. I am all for true scaling, but it will render most of the iconic minifig vehicles/aircraft/vessels unusable.

I am unclear if we are going with only Technic remakes, or any studed remake. If we go with Technic only, we should keep the scale similar. If we go with anything (town, space, Speed Champions), I agree, we should allow any scale. 

1 minute ago, Thirdwigg said:

I am unclear if we are going with only Technic remakes, or any studed remake. If we go with Technic only, we should keep the scale similar. If we go with anything (town, space, Speed Champions), I agree, we should allow any scale. 

Rebuild a studded LEGO set (any theme) into a studless Technic version.

2 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Sounds fun. Curious to see what people come up with. :excited:

Me too!

I will be away for the weekend, but I post an official topic shortly.

I was here thinking of making a scaled up replica of an old City vehicle, with all the functionality the scale would imply. In original scale (4 studs wide) they are almost unbuildable in Technic, but if you for example took a City truck and rebuilt it into Mack Anthem scale you could include lots and lots of functions imitating those of their real life counterparts. Of course it would have to have styling and colour scheme as close to the the original as possible, in order to be counted as a remake.

I'm in agreement with @Lipko that licensed sets should be excluded from the contest. This way we would have a limitation which enforces at least some creativity in model selection.

3 minutes ago, howitzer said:

if you for example took a City truck and rebuilt it into Mack Anthem scale you could include lots and lots of functions imitating those of their real life counterparts. Of course it would have to have styling and colour scheme as close to the the original as possible, in order to be counted as a remake.

That's exactly what we want to see!

So, only the exterior look should be an imitation of the studded set, but we can add all the functions we want (not electronics of course)?

11 minutes ago, mpj said:

So, only the exterior look should be an imitation of the studded set, but we can add all the functions we want (not electronics of course)?

5006085 Buildable 2x4 Red Brick

45 minutes ago, mpj said:

Well. that's debatable. Of course, you can add functions like steering etc, but this contest is about making a studless version of a studded model. This contest is not about looking for a fire truck in the City theme and creating a Technic Firetruck with thousands of functions.

Maybe I need to clarify this in the voting criteria. It's not about making the coolest fire truck. It's about recreating a studded firetruck into a Technic studless one.

6 hours ago, Jim said:

This is not in the spirit of the contest. Spybotics aren't studded LEGO sets, right?!

Or remake RCX into EV3 or 51515. RCX is studded.
And I want do other model. I wanted to keep it a secret, so I took another model as an example.

And another question. Need match color with original model? My secret model use rare color.

1 hour ago, Milan said:

That's exactly what we want to see!

13 minutes ago, Jim said:

Well. that's debatable. Of course, you can add functions like steering etc, but this contest is about making a studless version of a studded model. This contest is not about looking for a fire truck in the City theme and creating a Technic Firetruck with thousands of functions.

Maybe I need to clarify this in the voting criteria. It's not about making the coolest fire truck. It's about recreating a studded firetruck into a Technic studless one.

I'm getting mixed signals here!

Maybe some sort of recognizability criteria? The recreated build must have all the functions the original had, plus more that an example of the thing in question would typically have, scale allowing? Like building steerable front wheels and driven piston engine into a car etc. even if no City set has ever had those. This of course in addition to the looks being faithful to the original.

---

Beside the previous, I was wondering if I building only a part of a set would be OK? There are tons of larger sets with a building + vehicle(s) so would it be OK to build only the vehicle? (I don't think a static building would make a very good entry but many Town sets have interesting side builds in vehicles etc.)

Ok, I first voted for only technic models but the more I think about, the more I like to do a remake of a city model which I loved to play with as a child :-)

Or remake RCX into EV3 or 51515. RCX is studded.

No electronics.

And another question. Need match color with original model? My secret model use rare color.

You need to make the model resemble the other model as close as possible. That means using the same color scheme. I know this won't always be possible, but you might want to reconsider your source model.

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

I'm getting mixed signals here!

Maybe some sort of recognizability criteria? The recreated build must have all the functions the original had, plus more that an example of the thing in question would typically have, scale allowing? Like building steerable front wheels and driven piston engine into a car etc. even if no City set has ever had those. This of course in addition to the looks being faithful to the original.

True. That's because I still have some mixed feelings. Some things I need to think about.

Reading the second line, you formulate that pretty well. Of course a car can have a piston engine, steering and suspension. But don't add stuff because more is better, if you understand what I mean.

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

Beside the previous, I was wondering if I building only a part of a set would be OK? There are tons of larger sets with a building + vehicle(s) so would it be OK to build only the vehicle? (I don't think a static building would make a very good entry but many Town sets have interesting side builds in vehicles etc.)

I'm okay with that! :thumbup:

Should we only use parts currently offered by TLG, or can we also use retired parts? What about 3rd party strings, rubber bands etc.?