Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

28 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Contest Idea: Build a model from 42082 or 42055. :laugh: 

LoL, I figured this comment would pop-up :laugh:

Hehe

Another C-model contest [TC5.2] down the line is always a good idea.

I believe I missed out on the previous C-model contest, because of lack of ideas.

Personally I would just continue the numbering. Also, TC5 only used small/medium sets and you could combine 2 sets instead of using only 1. A C-model compo using any set would be different enough, and I think, interesting enough given the amount of interest there is for C-models.

Yes! That would be a great contest. I missed out too, but larger sets would be awesome to make things for.

4 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Personally I would just continue the numbering. 

Yeah of course, was a figure of speech.

5 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

A C-model compo using any set would be different enough, and I think, interesting enough given the amount of interest there is for C-models.

Yup, agreed!

So asking the obvious question to @Jim and @Milan ...

When do we think TC15 will be ?

I've taken TC14 apart, I've got a part completed MOC I might try and work on (based on my failed TC12 attempt), plus I'm still trying to find time for working on an LDD of @Thirdwigg's 911 ... and then there's a UCS Falcon to build and my many purchases from Lego House :) ... so much Lego and not enough time !

So any ideas when the next Contest will be ?

At the moment lego ideas contest is going on, so it won't be good to have something here in parallel . I think so. 

6 hours ago, Jurss said:

At the moment lego ideas contest is going on, so it won't be good to have something here in parallel . I think so. 

When does it end?

20 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I want a rally car building competition! I think it would be really fun!

+1 to that!

8 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I want a rally car building competition! I think it would be really fun!

+1

I personally have always wanted to make a rally car, but have never got around to it...

2 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I would recommend to allow custom wheel hubs to make it look better.

I don't think that should be allowed, as it would give an advantage to anyone that has access to 3D-printed parts...

I am not in favor of allowing custom (3D) printed parts, so don't count on being able to use these for contests. 

If we do have another “powered” contest can Sbrick and buzzwizz be excluded to create a level playing field?

@Seasider, +1 on some limited scope, either by limiting use of third party controllers, or total number of motors, or C model or combo C model format (set A + set B = Model C) where you have a limited (smaller) known piece count and elements to select from.  This isn’t a dig at the over the top builds we see in competition, i enjoy them, but the younger members may not have access to the seemingly unlimited resources of some of us older AFOLs. The list of motors from the last winner’s entry alone would bankrupt the average builder. We need either categories or classes to let junior members compete and actually have a chance of winning.  I enjoyed the freedom of TC14’s unlimited scope, but I would have liked to have seen more entries. 

How many members choose to NOT participate in a contest knowing they are going up against some pretty massive private inventories and collections from our master class builders?  

IMO the best way to limit such builds is to set maximum size of XX cubic studs. Any custom inventories or parts count are pain to track. I would prefer next competition to be something on "serious" note, we had 3 comps in row with out of the box builds

I'm a big fan of constrained contests. Keep a part count or a size limit or something.

@Seasider sorry I made the 911 with such few pictures to go on. I guess I should make another one, and make proper instructions. 

43 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

I'm a big fan of constrained contests. Keep a part count or a size limit or something.

@Seasider sorry I made the 911 with such few pictures to go on. I guess I should make another one, and make proper instructions. 

I just haven’t had the time on the Mac to continue with it recently. Unfortunately it shares a desk with the girlfriends work PC and she doesn’t keep a tidy desk! But I will return to it as I’d got a long way along just the quirks of suspension and steering to solve if I remember.

as to the next competition sometimes just a part count restriction doesn’t work a the functions / size of a model built with RC motors or sbrick or buwizz can often be far more impressive than “standard” PF functions

14 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Alright, what about only using the Technic Racing Small wheels like the ones on the Formula Buggy?

Those seem a bit to big to me...

I'd say to limit it to PF only, using these rims:

56145.png

Those will limit the size of the builds, while still allowing for a wide range of different tires.