Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

What about a pneumatic contest? (if it hasn't been done before)

There hasn't been very may pneumatic Lego sets (and MOCs).

1 hour ago, Saberwing40k said:

We've had a pneumatic contest, I think it was number 9 or ten.

Tc10, I missed it sadly, and just got some pneumatics.

Ā 

Oh... well here are some other ideas:

• Trophy Trucks - don't know why this hasn't been done before, trophy trucks are fun!
  • Aircraft - helicopters or airplanes.
  • Forklifts - I have always like forklifts.
  • Hill Climbers - vehicles desinged to climb the steepest slopes

This time my search worked, so I know that these haven't been done before :wink:.

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

This time my search worked, so I know that these haven't been done before :wink:.

All of the past contests are in the Technic Index, so there's no need to use the search functionĀ :wink:

Ā 

13 minutes ago, Jim said:

All of the past contests are in the Technic Index, so there's no need to use the search functionĀ :wink:

Now you tell me! :laugh:, that would have been heaps easier!

Maybe you should add it to the starting post of this topic...

Edited by mocbuild101

7 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Oh... well here are some other ideas:

• Trophy Trucks - don't know why this hasn't been done before, trophy trucks are fun!
  • Aircraft - helicopters or airplanes.
  • Forklifts - I have always like forklifts.
  • Hill Climbers - vehicles desinged to climb the steepest slopes

Aside from aircraft, I'd say these are a little bit too specific. Most other contests have had a more loose theme, but that's just my two cents.Ā 

And what about making next contest in building animals? It could be fun and there was not such contest here before. Also TLG has made just few Technic animals mostly as alternative models.

1 hour ago, Lego2016Lego said:

I was thinking of a contest where you have only one day to build an off roader.

That is a bit out of the usual (time frame), but itĀ would beĀ interesting...

There can be only one contest idea

Any size, any type model.

BUT

Must use one of all PF motor(M,L,XL,Servo) and receiver, light, switch.

Receiver and switch can use unlimited but other motor or batterybox can use only one of each.

9V(RC motor or etc)Ā line or mindstorm line motor/batterybox can't use and pneumatic can use.

17 hours ago, Lego2016Lego said:

A day might be too short, but recurring theme-weekends could be an idea.

23 hours ago, Lego2016Lego said:

And how would you ensure that everybody only builds for one day? Live build and judges watching all builders through the 24 hours?

Just now, TechnicRCRacer said:

What about a general small-size car competition? (no buggy motors, just PF)

Interesting. I super like mini size rc car. Is micro motor allow?

I had another theme idea. "Build your own version of an existingĀ set, in another scale". That is: pick any Technic set you like, and build your version of it. It has to be the same vehicle, but you can change the colors. The only rule I'd like to add is: your model must be another scale than the set itself (either smaller or bigger).Ā The reason for this rule is to prevent copying too many parts from the reference set - I wouldn'tĀ want to have a "mod"Ā contest. Of course changing the scale also means changing the functionality, especially the motorization aspect. Bigger usually means more functions and smaller often means fewer functions. Also I think we should do actual Technic models, so no micro-builds. I'd say minimum size is about 150 pieces.

The different-size rule could be defined by: "don't use the same wheels", or "your model must be at least 20% longer or 20% shorter than the original", or "the wheels must be at least 20% bigger of 20% smaller than those of the original". The details can be devised later.

The inspiration for this idea is @Ivan_M's great military tow truck, inspired by 42070 but smaller. That got me thinking: there are a lot of sets that we have had critiques on, often rightfully so, and many recent sets have had a "Ultimate" version topic, showing that it's possible to improve on even the great sets we have seen, like 8043. AnotherĀ reason for this idea is that I think this makes it easy for people to choose a model and get going, and it's possible for almost everyone to enter. It's not limited to PF, pneumatic, or a specific type of vehicle that may not interest somebody. There's a lot that you can do, but it's also a clear goal and a good reason to build something else than you normally do (which is what I like in competitions).

On 29.06.2017 at 6:28 PM, Erik Leppen said:

I had another theme idea. "Build your own version of an existingĀ set, in another scale". That is: pick any Technic set you like, and build your version of it. It has to be the same vehicle, but you can change the colors. The only rule I'd like to add is: your model must be another scale than the set itself (either smaller or bigger).Ā The reason for this rule is to prevent copying too many parts from the reference set - I wouldn'tĀ want to have a "mod"Ā contest. Of course changing the scale also means changing the functionality, especially the motorization aspect. Bigger usually means more functions and smaller often means fewer functions. Also I think we should do actual Technic models, so no micro-builds. I'd say minimum size is about 150 pieces...

This is an interesting idea and I've got one improvement for it - what about building recreations of old studded sets in new studless design? In such way you can keep scale of reference set.

What about a "back to the basics" style contest, as most peopleĀ buildĀ modern supercars, and newer construction equipment.Ā Though the roots of automotive design were more mechanicalĀ and simpleĀ vehicles of the early 1900'sĀ era. I think this would make for an interesting challenge, as the bodywork of most vehicles of that time period is rather simple, though there is lots of innovative designs for vehicles and equipment, that I think have never been built in Lego form. I guess everything from size limits to part limits have been placed on contests, what about a timeframe from say 1850-1950, that would give lots freedom for vehicles, steam powered machines or equipmentĀ of any sort. Though I guess not everyone likes to build things specifically from real life, butĀ I think the simplicity of the earlier vehicles would offer possibilitiesĀ of replicating functions in Lego form.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

12 hours ago, Tomik said:

This is an interesting idea and I've got one improvement for it - what about building recreations of old studded sets in new studless design? In such way you can keep scale of reference set.

While I have seen contests with great redesigns in studless, I like the idea of it being forced to another scale. Old studded can of course be remade studless then, but it still has to be a different scale.

It's a great idea for a contest from Erik Leppen imo and really fits a 40 year anniversary of Technic to basically make tributes to old/recent sets.

I know everyone is more concerned with the 2017 sets by I'm not impressed.... sooo I am wondering about the next contest. I knowĀ Jim is busy with reviews, but do not forget about the next contest.Ā :grin:

Just now, aminnich said:

I know everyone is more concerned with the 2017 sets by I'm not impressed.... sooo I am wondering about the next contest. I knowĀ Jim is busy with reviews, but do not forget about the next contest.Ā :grin:

I will finish the reviews first. After that I will contact TLG about prizes (when Kim is back from his holiday) and I will try to arrange some prizes. After that we can get a new contest up-and-running.

Sure. You have to build something with LEGO TechnicĀ :tongue:

Not 100% sure about the concept, so no hints yet.