Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

A volume limit sounds interesting. Actually a very good idea.

A part limit is a bit harder to verify than a dimension limit. That was the reason to skip the part limit. I have been thinking about a weight limit too. Easy to check for both the jury and the contestant. But I reckon not everyone has a small scale to weigh their model.

A volume limit sounds interesting. Actually a very good idea.

A part limit is a bit harder to verify than a dimension limit. That was the reason to skip the part limit. I have been thinking about a weight limit too. Easy to check for both the jury and the contestant. But I reckon not everyone has a small scale to weigh their model.

Dimension and weight limits sound like TechBall. It's a lot of fun trying to meet the specs.

Since I see a lot of positive reactions, I think we can continue with this contest.

Let's choose either a weight or a dimension limit. I think a dimension limit will be the better choice.

One needs to state the L x W x H and thus the volume in cubic studs :sweet:

I really like MajklSpajkl's idea of a volume limit. Instead of having a fixed x y z limit, the total volume of both the A- and B-model's bounding box needs to be limited to .... cubic studs.

Examples:

31x21x15 = 9765

25x25x10 = 6250

45x10x7 = 3150

Let's define the volume limit. Any suggestions? I don't want the models to be too big, let's say medium sized. I'm thinking A4/Letter and 15 studs high or something. Maybe 10.000 cubic studs would be okay. That still leaves ample space to make decent models.

Let's define the volume limit. Any suggestions? I don't want the models to be too big, let's say medium sized. I'm thinking A4/Letter and 15 studs high or something. Maybe 10.000 cubic studs would be okay. That still leaves ample space to make decent models.

10,000 studs3 (I've always wanted to say that) sounds great :classic::thumbup:

I think this is a great idea, I'd love to participate (although I first need to clean up from TC8... I'm not allowed to build until I clean up the LEGO desk :sweet: )

Considering parts, I would also propose that the B model may use, say, 5 or 10 parts that are not in the A model, just like in LEGO sets. Of course, these parts should be big parts like panels, but maybe some pins or one or two beams.

With A and B it is not bad Idea but I think not very good... I think a lot of B models could have lower quality and personally I'm always concentrating to do 1 thing and as best as I can... When I would build something in any contest I would build it also for me... and by such a type of contest it is nothing for me... I build 1 thing and best... not 2 only for contest and then disassemble them/it... Maybe I'm just not a contest type of AFOL... :)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Considering parts, I would also propose that the B model may use, say, 5 or 10 parts that are not in the A model, just like in LEGO sets. Of course, these parts should be big parts like panels, but maybe some pins or one or two beams.

I'm not to sure about it. There's gonna be debate about "big parts". I'd rather stick to "no extra parts". That's the main challenge of this competition.

With A and B it is not bad Idea but I think not very good... I think a lot of B models could have lower quality and personally I'm always concentrating to do 1 thing and as best as I can... When I would build something in any contest I would build it also for me... and by such a type of contest it is nothing for me... I build 1 thing and best... not 2 only for contest and then disassemble them/it... Maybe I'm just not a contest type of AFOL... :)

Max...

Or you need to get out of your comfort zone :wink:

If you build and awesome A-model, people will understand that the B-model isn't quite as good. After all, that's what TLG has been doing for years (maybe a few exceptions).

I very much like the cubic studs limit. It limits size, and is a little easier to verify than part count. 10,000 cubic studs sounds pretty good.

Great!

I see a couple of Yes's, some maybe's and hardly any Nooooo's!

I will continue to set things up. You can expect this to go online after the current contest closes.

Oh, and for the maybe's and No's......there will be prizes....great prizes! :wink:

I'm not to sure about it. There's gonna be debate about "big parts". I'd rather stick to "no extra parts". That's the main challenge of this competition.

What if you define allowable extra parts? E.g., only pins and bushes and 1 beam. I see you're point, given that every single rule seems to be argued with in every contest, but it would also kind of suck to have to hide superfluous parts in your A-model because you need them in the B-model... Minor detail though, I wouldn't argue more if you stick with no extra parts allowed :classic:

I am lose with the cubic stud thing :sceptic: how do you know how many cubic studs you used?

What if you define allowable extra parts?

I am also with No allowed extra parts. It would be very hard to pinpoint what parts would be ok and what not. As you said, it is not perfect solution, but you can always "hide" extra parts for B model somewhere on your A model,

I am lose with the cubic stud thing :sceptic: how do you know how many cubic studs you used?

Examples:

31x21x15 = 9765

25x25x10 = 6250

45x10x7 = 3150

Edited by Milan

Wait, is it imperial cubic studs or metric cubic studs?

Jokes aside, I really like the cubic stud limit, it's much better than piece count since piece count is much harder to verify even during building without a digital model. I also like the pullback idea a lot, I've been wanting to do something with the pullbacks.

Since I'm close to finishing&publishing my new MOC, I might join the new competitions.

Length * width * height = cubic studs.

E.g. if your model is

• 30 studs long
  • 15 studs wide
  • 18 studs high

Then it's

30 x 15 x 18 = 8100 studs3.

I like it. It doesn't allow overly huge models, but it does allow compact models, and it allows for all kinds of proportions.

I like it. It doesn't allow overly huge models, but it does allow compact models, and it allows for all kinds of proportions.

Exactly. You can still build a plane. It's wide and long, but it's not so high.

E.g. if your model is

• 30 studs long
  • 15 studs wide
  • 18 studs high

Then it's

30 x 15 x 18 = 8100 studs3.

Thanks got it now! My math knowledge deserted me there :)

Will there be a rule disallowing WIP topics in the first one-or-two weeks?

Also, will finally something be done about WIP topics not showing any actual LEGO builds? I'd say, if you open a topic, show us something you actually built.

Will there be a rule disallowing WIP topics in the first one-or-two weeks?

Also, will finally something be done about WIP topics not showing any actual LEGO builds? I'd say, if you open a topic, show us something you actually built.

Exactly. Not a specific period. You can post a WIP topic when you can show WIP, that means a picture of a model in progress.

I like this new contest concept very much :thumbup: I have two unopened sets of 42039 so maybe I could build two sets from them for the contest and not even need to disassemble A-model for building B-model, hmmm... I'm already thinking one model for ground and another for water or air... This sounds really cool and interesting contest for challenging your creation and building skills, I like it very much :sweet: Maybe this time best MOCs that I have ever done, who knows... And of course, it will be fun!

Or you need to get out of your comfort zone :wink:

No I'm not lazy Jim... I just build the models for me not other... It must be pleasure for me...

BTW... I build something for TC8 but it was not finished so haven't participated... :)

If you build and awesome A-model, people will understand that the B-model isn't quite as good. After all, that's what TLG has been doing for years (maybe a few exceptions).

TLG is doing it for money to pretend higher value of the set what will not be always reached... :)

It was just my opinion Jim... everyone likes something else... :)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

I'm in for the A/B contest.

If there will be a 6 months development time.

But I guess there will be a specific theme. Or should I get starting now?

Yeah, A+B model contest looks great. And I'm too concerned about time as you would need to produce two models, instead of one. Please keep in mind festive season is approaching quickly as well. So at least several months is needed I believe.

As the A/B contest sounds like a long-term one, is it planed to start smaller contest paralel (2-3 mounth long)?

I just ask this, because I might participate in a smaller challange...