Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

I dig the whole space police/blacktron/mtron/classic space idea.  I’m finally somewhat settled into my new place, so I may actually enter a contest again.

13 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Let's not do cars.

This! Cars are off the table.

11 hours ago, Akassin said:

Space Police is certainly an original idea. But I agree with the opinion that it will be difficult to implement in the style of Lego technic.

By difficult, you mean it would be a nice challenge :wink:

5 hours ago, msk6003 said:

It seems look like homologation rule in WRC. Interesting theme.

It sounds interesting indeed. So basically it's not given what you need to change, chassis or bodywork, but you'd have to build two versions of the same car.

I was thinking also something along the lines: take a model from another theme that is currently in production and recreate it in Technic, in the same spirit than the earlier contest where studful Technic sets were created in studless style. Might be too similar contest though.

I would love to see animals or walkers contest too.

20 hours ago, Jim said:

Vehicles....not only cars hehe. But you are right, it's more of the same (with a slight twist).

Space Police & Robbers

I am starting to like this idea. 

Space Police & Space Robbers

Something like TC7 but in space.

I give +1 on this. Interesting and funny looks theme.

17 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Is this still aimed to be a Technic contest? What are the typical technical / functional aspects of space police models??? Or is it just that my imagination is not vivid enough? I haven't even seen any non-space related technic police models..

Of course it's still Technic. You indeed need to use your imagination. Folding wings (like X-Wings, for whatever reason that is useful), opening docking bay (for contraband or for locking a robber), mechanisms to catch the robber, weapons systems, rotating turrets, etc etc

12 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

I give +1 on this. Interesting and funny looks theme.

Let's do this. It's fun!

I will try to make a topic for it shortly, but you can start planning/thinking.

It will start shortly and run til end of January or so.

@Jim But we haven't even closed the topic of TC23 entry yet. And there was no voting. Can we finish with the previous contest first?

Edited by Akassin

4 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

It sounds interesting indeed. So basically it's not given what you need to change, chassis or bodywork, but you'd have to build two versions of the same car.

This can appely on trucks too. Like normal version/military version/Daker version Kamaz 4326.

kamaz-novyy-urengoy-russia-march-offroad

Normal version

t_4326_211.jpg@webp

Military version

kamaz-moscow-russia-july-anton-shibalov-

Dakar version

19 minutes ago, Akassin said:

@Jim But we haven't even closed the topic of TC23 entry yet. And there was no voting. Can we finish with the previous contest first?

We will close that one first with proper voting. I will ask @Milan if he can arrange things. I have little time till next week.

I am working on a contest description etc, but be prepared for the contest to start next weekend. I can confirm it will be the Space Police contest.

52 minutes ago, Jim said:

I am working on a contest description etc, but be prepared for the contest to start next weekend. I can confirm it will be the Space Police contest.

Is it a police only or VS theme like TC7?

On 11/30/2022 at 3:04 PM, Jim said:

Vehicles....not only cars hehe. But you are right, it's more of the same (with a slight twist).

Space Police & Robbers

I am starting to like this idea. 

Space Police & Space Robbers

Something like TC7 but in space.

5971-1.png

5972-1.png

I will be this.

Edit: These types of space ships created in Technic.

Hopefully we get a part limit so the common rule (biggest model = win) doesn't apply :-P

I think (and said it before the start of the GBC) a part limit or size restriction encourages more people to participate in contests. 2000 parts or something like that?

We already had a discussion on how to prove that one hasn't used more parts, but I think most people will stick to this rule as a gentlemens agreement. Maybe we can force to post an io or ldd-file for some very big models which may be over the given limit and getting them checked by the community. 

Not a big fan of part count limit. I would go for bounding box if we really need to enforce something.

I am interested to see when bigger models won the contest. Is this tangible or is it just a feeling? I have been going over the results of the contests and I don't see a common rule.

Since this is the end of the year contest, we do aim (or allow) for bigger builds. I am interested to hear what other people think about imposing some sort of limit.

No limits, please. They can be good for some things, but I personally don't much care for size limits. Other limits, like excluding motors, are more interesting in my opinion.

So, it wont be strictly technic? Something more generic?!

There can be no limits, I don't care anymore.

33 minutes ago, Jurss said:

So, it wont be strictly technic? Something more generic?!

It will be Technic. After all, it's a Technic contest. So it will be Technic versions of the two examples I posted.

And we won't do Model Team, just Technic (with some System parts, as usual)

7 hours ago, Jundis said:

Hopefully we get a part limit so the common rule (biggest model = win) doesn't apply :-P

Part limit is next to impossible to enforce, so if size is to be limited, it must be bounding box or maximum length or something along those lines. The bounding box limitation worked well for the small construction vehicle contest, but I don't think this contest needs much in the way of limitations beyond the usual ones (no third party parts etc.)

---

Space police is an interesting theme but how do you define what counts as "space"? Or is it left to the voters to decide?

31 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Space police is an interesting theme but how do you define what counts as "space"? Or is it left to the voters to decide?

I was thinking some sort of spaceSHIP to avoid "spacecars" which would turn this into a car contest.

32 minutes ago, Jim said:

I was thinking some sort of spaceSHIP to avoid "spacecars" which would turn this into a car contest.

So you mean mars/lunar rover hybrid with spaceship is not allowed?

Oh no … just found this thread … hmm I’ll have to make serious decisions as I was already planning to enter the Sci Fi threads spaceship contest and had started to scheme something up.

I always find it hard enough to enter one competition over Christmas let alone two as I’m away from home visiting family for at least a week especially if they only run up until End of Jan.

Oh well I may sit this one out.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

And here I was already thinking of X-Com: Apocalypse and Megapol patrol vehicles...

13 hours ago, Jim said:

I was thinking some sort of spaceSHIP to avoid "spacecars"

thumbs up

Thumbs down. There are plenty of ground vehicles in Classic Space, like the Blacktron 6941 Battrax. i agree with avoiding cars, but I think ground vehicles should be allowed.