Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

50 minutes ago, Jim said:

And I would like to get the Non-Vehicle contest back on the tableĀ :sweet:

There's the GBC contest of course, but I assume you still haven't found a GBC expert to volunteer for running it?

The walker contest of course could be far enough from vehicles, but I still think those are hard enough to do, repeating the low participation of the transformation vehicle contest.

Aircraft are vehicles but with the release of the Airbus helicopter and it's new rotor parts, I wonder if an aircraft contest would be possible? No size limitations, can be either manual or powered with PU, PF or the usual third-party stuff.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

And I would like to get the Non-Vehicle contest back on the tableĀ :sweet:

Yes a non vehicle would be good. In the good old studded days of Technic they used to build machines and not just cars, bikes and trucks.

On 6/29/2022 at 11:38 PM, Jundis said:

We have to slowly convince Jim to get him intrigued ;-)

At first time when I said it Jim and other guys said "no because it will mindstrom contest".

So second I asked "than how about eliminate use of any kind of sensor and only accept one hub and 4 motor only" and I don't remember but it also kicked out.
Now I don't have any hope or similar thing in this time.

18 hours ago, dhc6twinotter said:

Iā€™d like to see a contest based on ā€œSomething Fom A Favorite Childhood Cartoonā€ or something similar. Ā We might have Scooby Doo Van, or Tailspin plane, Ninja Turtles vehicle, etc.

More smaller theme but how about this?

On 5/26/2021 at 1:48 AM, msk6003 said:

@JimĀ will writing rules but I has another contest idea

We need build car. But car mustĀ come in movie, game and toy.

And not allowed model based any kind of real car.

So

Knight rider K.I.T.T is basedĀ pontiac firebird - not allowed

Ghost busters ECTO-1 is based classic cadllic - not allowed

Hot wheels Twin mill is not based any real car - allowed

Justice league batmobile is not based any real car - allowed

How about this idea?

The reason why IĀ banned the model based on the actual vehicle is simply that we already make a/have aĀ large amount of the actual vehicle model.

It's also because IĀ don't want to see real cars in simulation games such as Forza and Gran Turismo in the name of "vehicle in the game."

Only exception of this rule is concept car. like TV serise batmobile - Lincoln futura.

Ā 

8 hours ago, howitzer said:

There's the GBC contest of course, but I assume you still haven't found a GBC expert to volunteer for running it?

Finding volunteer will very hard because every GBC builder wanted to enter forĀ participant. not judge.

Edited by msk6003

3 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

Finding volunteer will very hard because every GBC builder wanted to enter forĀ participant. not judge.

They can still participate. That won't be a problem. But someone needs to take control and make the setup/rules.

25 minutes ago, Jim said:

They can still participate. That won't be a problem. But someone needs to take control and make the setup/rules.

Wow If it is right I interested to join for volunteer but I'm not so expert builder compare to other builder.

If I made rule
contest divided in to 2 categery like TC11 battle bot contest.

Category 1. GBC standard

• All module need to keepĀ GBC standard rule
  • No other rule except this. Can use mindstorm, C+, pneumatic, etc... and evenĀ if module can keep GBC standard, you can build module without any technic parts if you can.
  • All other limitation is same with previous contest(like general contest rule).

Category 2. Stand alone

• Can use only 1 motor and it must not require program.(you can use C+ or mindstorm motor but it must run continuous speed. no speed controlling.)
  • Or can use hand crank. But it also canĀ use only one.
  • Base size limit to 32x32
  • Ok to use not-lego-compatible-ball. This category is for people who don't have GBC standardĀ compatible ball.
  • entry can connect to other module but it must can run stand alone.
  • All other limitation is same with previous contest(like general contest rule)
Edited by msk6003

WeĀ need a GBC Contest General Topic with all the rules and we are basically good to go. There has been some planning before and there were even some prizes (third party). But there wasn't (isn't) a captain to take charge of everything.

Ā 

@Jim, I volunteer to be the captain of the GBC contest.
As you may know I have a lot of GBC experience, also on events like LEGO World Utrecht 7 days in a row.
Here my Rebrickable page with lots of GBCs with free instructions and here my Youtube channel (with 3.6kĀ subscribers).

I remember we agreed earlier to stick to the the basic GBC rules without categories.
I'll send you a PM to fine-tune the rules and conditions of the contest.

Edited by Berthil
typos

Awesome! Letā€™s do this!

On 7/2/2022 at 2:28 PM, Berthil said:

I volunteer to be the captain of the GBC contest.

Great!

@Jim, any idea when this contest will be planned? I really like it, but it will take some time/effort for me to dive into this new subject...:moar:

Edited by GerritvdG

1 minute ago, GerritvdG said:

@Jim, any idea when this contest will be planned? I really like it, but it will take some time/effort for me to dive into this new subject...:moar:

Soon. Soon-ish. Could be next week already.

9 minutes ago, Jim said:

Soon. Soon-ish. Could be next week already.

Wow, that will be difficult for me, I'm camping somewhere in France this month and I only have a little bit of Lego with me..Ā :pir_laugh2:Ā  Ā maybe I'll manage to participate in August.Ā 

Personally I'm really hoping it will be held somewhat later this year, maybe starting at September or so. Or at least there should be a lot of time to build, considering how fiddly GBC modules can be (requiring much of tuning and testing and rebuilding). I'm going to move soon so I must pack all my bricks and then get everything in place in the new apartment so that's going to make my participation quite hard if the contest starts in the July or August.

This contest will run for a while, so no worries.Ā 

Who thought I would ever type these letters in this sequence to form this title...

[TC23] Great Ball Contraption Contest - Information Topic

It's not online yet, so no need to go looking for itĀ :tongue:

I will try to get the contest up-and-running next week. It kinda esacaped my attention.

To post in the right topic:

6 hours ago, weavil said:

The storm trooper made me think. What if we did everyday stuff in technic. Like an RC shopping cart, a Roomba, or a recliner.

Ā 

5 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Recliner! With footstool B-model.

Ā 

Even I know the current GBC contest is up and running, will the next contest be something small/smaller/smallest/polybag? :-)

I really fear we will have a very limited number of entries right now for GBC, so with a lower entry level we can get more attention and more contestants ;-)

Just now, Jundis said:

Even I know the current GBC contest is up and running, will the next contest be something small/smaller/smallest/polybag? :-)

End of the year usually means bigger, not smallerĀ :innocent:

I did/do have two ideas in mind. I need to work out both of them. One of them probably needs some tweaking because it depends on a certain color scheme, which might be very limiting.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

End of the year usually means bigger, not smallerĀ :innocent:

Ah ok! I thought with the GBC the "big" contest is done this year ;-)

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

I did/do have two ideas in mind. I need to work out both of them. One of them probably needs some tweaking because it depends on a certain color scheme, which might be very limitingļ»æļ»æ.Ā 

So the other one is the legged/walker models? :-P

4 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Ah ok! I thought with the GBC the "big" contest is done this year ;-)

GBC was the "extra" contest this year.