Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

3 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Has that been done in past contests?  I'd be curious to read up more on how it works.

Not perfactly same but TC11(battle bots) did choose 2 winner in both S-brick class and PF IR class.

9 hours ago, Jim said:

Yeah, we did that once, but I was about to ask you guys in which contest hehe.

i just checked     TC7     TC11 maybe*?    TC15   and   TC16   have the 2 winners setup so far.

*IR and Sbrick

Edited by Jayden

An idea for a future contest could be to replicate an official Lego Technic set in small scale, setting for example a limited number of parts or a max dimension (20 studs) but keeping Technic style, colors and functions as close as possible to the original.

More or less what I did with my Volvo :classic:

volvo_fh_grande_e_piccolo.jpg

4 hours ago, mpj said:

An idea for a future contest could be to replicate an official Lego Technic set in small scale, setting for example a limited number of parts or a max dimension (20 studs) but keeping Technic style, colors and functions as close as possible to the original.

Think we triggered this idea a few pages back ;-)

Full support! Maybe piece count should be max. 25% of the original?

I'd first thought about make it half the scale, but this would mean only 1/8 of the pieces, but these shrinked models would be too small.

The idea is not new, but it's still a great idea.

I wouldn't lay any numerical scale requirements though, just "rescale a set", meaning the scale should not be the same as the original. Scale it up, and add some functions, or scale it down and remove some functions. Both can be interesting. I think too strict scale requirements put too much emphasis on looks. I think we all intuitively feel when a rescale is "good" - no need to put numbers on that, I'd say.

In fact, I think making a set 20% smaller is a really interesting challenge, because even at 20%, everything changes.

Edited by Erik Leppen

The problem with giving the option for scaling up and adding functions or scaling down is that more votes will naturally trend to those who go larger and add functions. If we do a rescale competition we should defined in which direction and not give both as an option

I have seen a lot of people “complaining” about the lack of functions in Technic sets. Maybe we simply need to build something with as many functions as possible.

On 4/4/2022 at 1:01 PM, msk6003 said:

Ok I have one more idea. This will be easy to join than my other idea.

Basic idea is MOD the actual set.

You need choose 1~2 set.(rull must set this)

After choose set, you need to modify selected set to other thing. People can change set's color, can add custom sticker or other parts, or remove inside and rebuild to something else.

But not allowed simple RC/manual mod. Entry must be something different than original but still need to get recognition to original set.

Some example

9396 Helicopter - remove rotor and tail and add some booster to make space shuttle.

42000 F1 - make car more shorter, increasing ground clearance to make offroad vehicle

42138 Mustang - I completely rebuilt internal to make 4WD and steering. and change color, add custom sticker to make mustang RTR drift.

Technically this is hard to allowed in this idea but I post this for example.

42124 offroad buggy - He replace wheel to track and ski to make snowmobile.

I bring back this again

I like the MOD a Lego set idea. But I would prefer mod whatever you like but keep close to the original structure or looks. So it doesn't matter if the helicopter goes spaceship, RC a none RC vehicle or add tons of functions. It doesn't need to be to strict as at the end the votes decide what wins and ppl. appreciate different styles. Pretty much take a set and go nuts :)

This would be a contest I could join. I am short on time and skills to build a whole model and would feel bad as I can't match the the skills of others here. But I MOD a lot of Lego sets as I can focus on a single update and only have to make everything fit. Often RC mods but also gearboxes or additional functions.

my proposal: take any Lego set and go nuts modding it using only Lego pieces. The forum will choose a winner based on what the majority likes most thus no restrictions needed :P

14 hours ago, Jim said:

I have seen a lot of people “complaining” about the lack of functions in Technic sets. Maybe we simply need to build something with as many functions as possible.

I like this. I like this a lot.

• It's what this theme is about
  • It's simple to state
  • Everyone understands what the goal is

The only thing I would change about the dscription is to replace "as many functions as possible" by "as much functionality as possible". Then, you won't get into trouble counting stuff. Also, you might want to have some kind of constraint, to prevent people to make some kind of nonsensical abstract thing just because it can do 26 different movements. Basically add the rule "the functions need to make sense" and you're off to go :) The rest can be done via judging and voting.

Edited by Erik Leppen

6 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I like this. I like this a lot.

• It's what this theme is about
  • It's simple to state
  • Everyone understands what the goal is

The only thing I would change about the dscription is to replace "as many functions as possible" by "as much functionality as possible". Then, you won't get into trouble counting stuff. Also, you might want to have some kind of constraint, to prevent people to make some kind of nonsensical abstract thing just because it can do 26 different movements. Basically add the rule "the functions need to make sense" and you're off to go :) The rest can be done via judging and voting.

This sounds incredible for the next contest. I would love to add functionality to a lot of Lego sets... like the Ferrari 488 I just picked up, a supercar with more space than engine under the hood.

@Jim and @Milan - me and @Thirdwigg are working on an Excel sheet to capture all the TC competition results and provide some analysis.

I’m missing a little bit of data and need your help, do the round 1 results for the small car competition (tc18) exist anywhere ? I can only find the results from round 2 which was the voting for the top 10. If you don’t I can recreate from the round 1 voting which I see still exists.

also are there any analysis you would like to see from this ?

So far we’re capturing …

for each competition  …

competition name (and number), date, high level requirement eg bounding box, number of valid entries

for each person who’s entered a competition …

name, number of times they’ve entered, how many 1st 2nd 3rd, a “score” based off this (similar method to Olympic medals) and a “ranking” based off the “score”

from this we’ve captured so far …

Number of competitions

ave number of entries per competition 

number of people who’ve only entered 1 competition

the top 3 from the “rankings”

the person who’s entered the most competitions

it would be good to capture something about the number of people who voted or perhaps the scoring method but the first may be a bit hard to capture 

27 minutes ago, Seasider said:

So far we’re capturing …

for each competition  …

competition name (and number), date, high level requirement eg bounding box, number of valid entries

for each person who’s entered a competition …

name, number of times they’ve entered, how many 1st 2nd 3rd, a “score” based off this (similar method to Olympic medals) and a “ranking” based off the “score”

from this we’ve captured so far …

Number of competitions

ave number of entries per competition 

number of people who’ve only entered 1 competition

the top 3 from the “rankings”

the person who’s entered the most competitions

it would be good to capture something about the number of people who voted or perhaps the scoring method but the first may be a bit hard to capture

*oh2* ok I'll stop my crappy OpenOffice doc

500x400.jpeg yours sounds waaaaay better

I didnt even know that there was an issue with TC18

Edited by Jayden

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

I’m missing a little bit of data and need your help, do the round 1 results for the small car competition (tc18) exist anywhere ? I can only find the results from round 2 which was the voting for the top 10. If you don’t I can recreate from the round 1 voting which I see still exists.

also are there any analysis you would like to see from this ?

Why would you want round 1 results? Isn't it all about the end result? I can recreate it for you, but I'm not sure it will add any value. It's about the medals, right?

@Jim I’m trying to capture who’s entered what and their result. So for tc18 if I only have the round 2 results I only have 10 entrants whereas I know it was 60+.

For the recent studless I’ve used the final top 4 from the jury vote combined with the overall scoring from the public vote. So a bit like how f1 does it’s qualifying. If you don’t have it to hand don’t worry I can recreate it.

Is there any output you’d like to see ?

here you go

CONTEST RESULTS

1. Jeep Wrangler JL by ArsMan064 - 112 Points (23 votes, entry 59)
2. THE GRAND '33 by MP LEGO Technic creations - 109 Points (21 votes, entry 29)
3. 2005 Ford GT by ArtemyZotov - 97 Points (19 votes, entry 33)
4. TATRA T87 Streamline by HorcikDesigns - 87 Points (15 votes, entry 24)
5. VW Rally Car by Surffikoira - 81 Points (19 votes, entry 53)
6. Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 by Leviathan - 69 Points (14 votes, entry 9)
7. Ferrari F40 by paave - 67 Points (13 votes, entry 41)
8. Dune Buggy 2020 by Didumos69 - 58 Points (14 votes, entry 20)
9. Marocchino Rat Rod by SilenWin - 51 Points (9 votes, entry 30)
10. Dodge Challenger by LapisLazul - 50 Points (14 votes, entry 47)
11. Merсedes AMG (Red coupe) by LoMaC - 41 Points (10 votes, entry 52)
12. Red Sky by kodlovag - 38 Points (9 votes, entry 21)
13. Huguette Roadster by BusterHaus - 37 Points (8 votes, entry 40)
14. AMC Pacer Super Dragster by filsawgood - 33 Points (8 votes, entry 16)
15. Ferrari F355 by apachaihapachai - 32 Points (7 votes, entry 5)
16. Wrong pickup by zux - 26 Points (10 votes, entry 51)
17. Porsche 944 Gulf by falconluan - 26 Points (6 votes, entry 28)
18. Look ma, no beams! by Jurss - 25 Points (5 votes, entry 2)
19. Hot Rodster by agrof - 24 Points (4 votes, entry 32)
20. Azure rod pick up by Shtykoff - 23 Points (7 votes, entry 31)
21. G-Class by damjan97PL - 19 Points (5 votes, entry 8)
22. Pullback Racer 42106 by Tomik - 19 Points (5 votes, entry 18)
23. Lancia Fulvia 1.6 HF Rally Car by All_About_Lego - 16 Points (6 votes, entry 57)
24. Ize'lino by Toitoine - 15 Points (5 votes, entry 43)
25. Mercedes E190 by Stas_a45 - 13 Points (4 votes, entry 7)
26. Delorean Time Machine by msk6003 - 12 Points (3 votes, entry 13)
27. Bugatti Chiron by CharlieBravo - 12 Points (2 votes, entry 23)
28. McLaren F1 GTR by letsbuild - 12 Points (4 votes, entry 37)
29. British Classic by ukbajadave - 10 Points (1 votes, entry 11)
30. WOW 4x4x4 by vascolp - 10 Points (1 votes, entry 36)
31. LMP C Turbo Race Car by Thirdwigg - 9 Points (3 votes, entry 54)
32. H&C F6 by osterum - 9 Points (3 votes, entry 1)
33. Retro Roadster by Lio2142 - 9 Points (3 votes, entry 15)
34. Bullet. The Fourth by ipe4kin - 8 Points (2 votes, entry 35)
35. Ganassi GT LeMans by MegaRoi - 7 Points (2 votes, entry 50)
36. 9398 Baby Car by Ctan - 7 Points (3 votes, entry 61)
37. Miniature Muscle car by Zerobricks - 7 Points (3 votes, entry 6)
38. Orange car by dimka_ya - 6 Points (2 votes, entry 48)
39. Volkswagen Gremlin by Linnutorn - 6 Points (1 votes, entry 38)
40. Twin-Engine Drag Roadster by offroadcreations - 6 Points (1 votes, entry 56)
41. Dart by Rudivdk - 5 Points (2 votes, entry 22)
42. DARK BULLET by AMX - 5 Points (2 votes, entry 4)
43. Formula 1 by juGSI16V - 4 Points (1 votes, entry 3)
44. Austin Mini Moke by khchai - 3 Points (1 votes, entry 42)
45. Monochrome Roadster by Seasider - 3 Points (1 votes, entry 17)
46. Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak by Lucullus - 3 Points (1 votes, entry 60)
47. Orange Cabrio by Ivorrr - 2 Points (1 votes, entry 34)
48. Mini-Monster Truck by lmdesigner42 - 1 Points (1 votes, entry 58)
49. Poor Man Mini Cooper by jaxxreal - 1 Points (1 votes, entry 39)
50. Amphibious car by nick97 - 1 Points (1 votes, entry 44)
51. The Peugeot RCZ lookalike by Qukie - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 55)
52. Targa Turbo V6 by InKon - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 10)
53. Miss Butterfly's Hot Rod by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 27)
54. Mix of Porsche by NoEXIST - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 14)
55. Street Racer by Ilialis07 - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 49)
56. BLACK FURY by Peachikov08 - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 46)
57. Ford Mustang Fastback by captainmib - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 45)
58. Big Block Hotrod by I_Igor - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 19)
59. Trophy Truck by blaz62 - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 25)
60. Pickup Truck by Teh6 - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 26)
61. 1997 Mazda RX-7 by _artemshulgin_ - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 12)
62. Golf Car by anyUser - 0 Points (0 votes, entry 62)

11 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

@Jim do you have the same for contest #1 too?

I don’t think so. That was “before my time”. You mean Sail the Technic Sea, right?

11 hours ago, Jim said:

I don’t think so. That was “before my time”. You mean Sail the Technic Sea, right?

I suspected as much. It's weird to think of the Technic Forum pre @Jim.

The data is showing some interested information so far. Hopefully @Seasider will have something to present this week.

So this is a little project me and @Thirdwigg have been working on for the past week, the history of TC competitions. We’ve created an Excel spreadsheet to record the outcome of all the competitions to date.

So capturing all 22 competitions to date and EVERYONE with a valid entry we get this monster !

52164662128_1a44cb3262_c.jpg

If you look at it normal scale you’ll see this …

52164895684_57bece4a4e_b.jpg

We decided to record the contest name, when it took place, it’s main criteria, how the voting was conducted. For each competition we then recorded the positions of everyone with a valid entry from the Results threads. If a competition had multiple rounds of voting (only a handful) then we tried to record both rounds, for the second round those who didn’t make it had their first round score carried over (in a similar manner to how F1 does qualifying). From this we then created stats of number of entries per competition and also where people finished. I also gave each person a “score” and a “ranking” based off that score. You get a point for an entry, 100 for a bronze, 10000 for a silver and 1000000 for a gold, to give a similar scoring system to the olympics and to allow for 99 competitions! I may try a different weighting scheme at a later date to see how it affects things.

So here are some stats and some are interesting …

52163634662_2f6ed62ba8_b.jpg

A large majority have only ever entered 1 competition.

Although a lot of us AFOLs talk about wanting large complex multi function Technic models our most popular competition was the Small Car TC18 where we had 62 entrants.

I’ve entered the most … and actually I started more as I can remember pulling out of at least 2 competitions as my entry wasn’t progressing as I’d hoped.

Our Top 3 are all people who only entered a very small number of competitions.

And we have 3 people who have collected all 3 medals.

We’ve decided we’ll continue collecting these stats as we get more TC competitions, but is there anything you’d like to know ?

Seasider & Thirdwigg

Edited by Seasider
Added images

5 hours ago, Seasider said:

So this is a little project me and @Thirdwigg have been working on for the past week, the history of TC competitions. We’ve created an Excel spreadsheet to record the outcome of all the competitions to date.

So capturing all 22 competitions to date and EVERYONE with a valid entry we get this monster !

If you look at it normal scale you’ll see this …

We decided to record the contest name, when it took place, it’s main criteria, how the voting was conducted. For each competition we then recorded the positions of everyone with a valid entry from the Results threads. If a competition had multiple rounds of voting (only a handful) then we tried to record both rounds, for the second round those who didn’t make it had their first round score carried over (in a similar manner to how F1 does qualifying). From this we then created stats of number of entries per competition and also where people finished. I also gave each person a “score” and a “ranking” based off that score. You get a point for an entry, 100 for a bronze, 10000 for a silver and 1000000 for a gold, to give a similar scoring system to the olympics and to allow for 99 competitions! I may try a different weighting scheme at a later date to see how it affects things.

So here are some stats and some are interesting …

A large majority have only ever entered 1 competition.

Although a lot of us AFOLs talk about wanting large complex multi function Technic models our most popular competition was the Small Car TC18 where we had 62 entrants.

I’ve entered the most … and actually I started more as I can remember pulling out of at least 2 competitions as my entry wasn’t progressing as I’d hoped.

Our Top 3 are all people who only entered a very small number of competitions.

And we have 3 people who have collected all 3 medals.

We’ve decided we’ll continue collecting these stats as we get more TC competitions, but is there anything you’d like to know ?

Seasider & Thirdwigg

TC18 was smack in the middle of a global pandemic lockdown. Might have been a few bored people with time on theirs hands. I know I had a go but did not cross the finish line. 

Anyway the data even to a non data person is interesting well done.

Edited by Darkdragon
please don't quote pictures

That's a pretty impressive dataset @Seasider and @Thirdwigg! Do you think you will host the data somewhere for us to view (read-only, of course)? I'm a sucker for numbers, so I absolutely love things like this. It must have been tedious to put together, and at the same time a lot of fun (part of it is digging up memories, after all :) ), and a blast to have all these data together in one place now.

Thanks @Seasider for working with me on this project. It was fun, and a lot of interesting facts came out of the project.

@brickless_kiwi the pandemic certainly helped the popularity of TC18, but it also had a pretty low barrier of entry. Both helped a lot.

@Erik Leppen I think we can find a way to make the data public. Sit tight.... 

15 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Thanks @Seasider for working with me on this project. It was fun, and a lot of interesting facts came out of the project.

@brickless_kiwi the pandemic certainly helped the popularity of TC18, but it also had a pretty low barrier of entry. Both helped a lot.

@Erik Leppen I think we can find a way to make the data public. Sit tight.... 

I'm sorry mr wigg I might be having a blonde moment. Or getting lost in translation.  What is a pretty low barrier of entry? 

Kind regards Matt...  

@brickless_kiwi what I think he meant was that it was an easy one to enter. It didn’t require complex mechanisms, just steering and perhaps a fake engine and suspension. No motors or pneumatics. And perhaps most importantly it didn’t mean you needed a huge collection of parts to build a model with, so was pretty much open to lots of people even with a basic Technic collection.