Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

8 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Can we please do anything else than cars?

When I when to bed yesterday I was actually thinking about a theme and thought about a “No Car Contest” :laugh: 

So not a dedicated theme but simply anything but a car.

I kinda like the construction equipment idea. Gives lots of options, and we can also say on this not a licenced model

Non-licensed construction equipment contest will surely get my support.

Though I'd prefer it to be with no scale-limits, the small scale contest should be different one and without thematic limitations (so cars allowed there).

So it is either

1. Small Scale No Car Contest
  2. Small Scale Construction Vehicle
  3. (Small Scale?) No Vehicle Contest

I like to scratch number 3 off the list. I really love the idea. Actually, it has been on my mind as the first contest for Technic, but we did the Triple contest instead. I really like to do this one day, but I don't want to limit this to small builds. That will simply be a "Build a non vehicle" contest.

38 minutes ago, Jim said:

So it is either

:thumbup:

Depending on the how "Small Scale" is defined, that sounds pretty interesting. Although, how does one define a "Construction Vehicle", exactly? That's something I'd be curious about.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

So it is either

I'd be happy with both, but I do have a preference for construction vehicles. I think when limiting it to construction vehicles it's easier to compare the entries for voting/judging. Just "no car" seems a bit too broad - how do you compare a helicopter to a printing machine? "No vehicle" sounds better, I like that one too, and it allows to get some ideas immediately. If the one after the next can be "no vehicle" (if this idea is that old and still sounds good, then I'd use it some day) then I would do "construction" now to make it more different.

It's Technic. Why not keep the size limit (e.g. 40x30x20 or whatever) and have one of the decisive voting parameters be the number of sensible functions crammed in, regardless of the type of machine?

14 minutes ago, suffocation said:

sensible functions

Thought about that, too. But I think it's hard to define, what a "sensible function" is... According to Lego, sometimes a movable rear mirror on a single pin is a function. If this would be the voting criteria, we will get ugly builds with tons of functions but not really elegant MOCs :-/

17 hours ago, Jundis said:

- Rather than framing a theme, maybe something like "At least 3 functions, which can be e.g. steering, fake engine, use of gear/rack/actuator/pneumatic function"

That's a great idea for a technic-theme :thumbup:

Yep, the above kinds if suggestions are nice at first glance, but it's really hard to define what counts as a "function", nevermind a sensible one. So unless this is defined clearly and unambiguously before the contest begins, I'd prefer other kinds of contests.

So it's either:

More and better functions will (hopefully) result in a better score, but that's up to you voters :tongue:

13 minutes ago, BrickBuildingFox said:

I vote for 1.

Finally someone who gets the hint :laugh: :thumbup:

For option 1 how are we going to define what’s a car ? Is an SUV or a 4x4 a car ? What about a Morgan 3-wheeler ? … just being provocative @Jim

Edited by Seasider

A car (or automobile) is a wheeled motor vehicle used for transportation. Most definitions of cars say that they run primarily on roads, seat one to eight people, have four wheels, and mainly transport people rather than goods

48 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Thought about that, too. But I think it's hard to define, what a "sensible function" is... According to Lego, sometimes a movable rear mirror on a single pin is a function. If this would be the voting criteria, we will get ugly builds with tons of functions but not really elegant MOCs :-/

Ha, true :laugh:

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "hey, my tow truck's got a built-in turd slinger", which wouldn't really count as a sensible function - unless the voter's got a sick sense of humour :laugh:

2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I'd be happy with both, but I do have a preference for construction vehicles. I think when limiting it to construction vehicles it's easier to compare the entries for voting/judging. Just "no car" seems a bit too broad - how do you compare a helicopter to a printing machine? "No vehicle" sounds better, I like that one too, and it allows to get some ideas immediately. If the one after the next can be "no vehicle" (if this idea is that old and still sounds good, then I'd use it some day) then I would do "construction" now to make it more different. 

:thumbup:

I vote for 2.

2 hours ago, Jim said:

So it's either:

More and better functions will (hopefully) result in a better score, but that's up to you voters :tongue:

I'm for n. 2. N. 2 is just more restrictive, and in my opinion it will have more equal entries to judge.

But if it will be number 1, we can build a construction vehicle anyway, right?