Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

1 hour ago, Jim said:I'm going through the contests and it seems that TC18 was the one with the bounding box.

But most entries don't have a bounding box picture. Did we have another contest with a bounding box?

TC11: the battle bots had a 45x45x45 bounding limit. I remembered that was in a “stored” position. I’m not sure if you will need to be specific like that for this contest. 

@Jim can it NOT be a build anything competition… my mind needs some form of direction rather than a purely blank box. Also can we not have a “build something licenced” I think tonn on many competitions are ruled by people building copies of real cars etc

16 minutes ago, Seasider said:

@Jim can it NOT be a build anything competition… 

Or course we could do that, but I like to keep it simple this time and let every contestant build what he or she likes.

But I can help you out:

• Seasider needs to build a car. Building something else is NOT allowed.

No licensed is an interesting thought and I am actually in favor of this rules. However, I am not sure how we can avoid people building a Porsche and calling it a Poers (or any other GTA style name, or simple Sportscar).

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

Or course we could do that, but I like to keep it simple this time and let every contestant build what he or she likes.

But I can help you out:

• Seasider needs to build a car. Building something else is NOT allowed.

No licensed is an interesting thought and I am actually in favor of this rules. However, I am not sure how we can avoid people building a Porsche and calling it a Poers (or any other GTA style name, or simple Sportscar).

Damn @Jim I was hoping to build something that wasn’t a car 🤣 but if you insist 

5 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Damn @Jim I was hoping to build something that wasn’t a car 🤣 but if you insist 

All jokes aside; of course we could limit the possible subject(s). But if we do motorcycles, the car people aren't happy. If we do helicopters, the truck people aren't happy etc etc.

I like to have more contestants than previous contest and I do think that having the freedom to build what you want will help with that. Of course, with the overall limitation of bounding box etc.

I would also prefer a theme of some sort, as that forces creativity and also makes judging easier.

Don’t worry Jim I’m sure I can come up with something. Hopefully a little different. Just put the competition rules up soon so we can all start thinking 

Just now, howitzer said:

I would also prefer a theme of some sort, as that forces creativity and also makes judging easier.

True

If the majority prefers a dedicated theme, I am fine with that too obviously. But I figured having a dedicated theme would always make some people unhappy.

I agree with howitzer a basic theme helps with the voting, but may not please everyone. How do you compare a helicopter to a car for example ? It’s not as easy as comparing a car to another car

perhaps not for this but perhaps at some stage we should have a construction / agricultural machinery competition.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

If the majority prefers a dedicated theme, I am fine with that too obviously. But I figured having a dedicated theme would always make some people unhappy.

This sounds like making some people unhappy is a bad thing.

If you try to make everyone happy, noone will be overjoyed and the result will be meh.

The key is to make different people unhappy every time.

I wouldn't join a free-to-build-anything contest. Because, what's even the contest in that? We have that all the time on the forum anyways. The idea of a contest (to me) is to do something different than normally. Also, having a theme sparks ideas.

Like I said; I'm all ears when it comes to a theme :sweet:

16 minutes ago, Jim said:

Like I said; I'm all ears when it comes to a theme :sweet:

"Everyone is Awesome" 

- very Lego

- fitting to the times we live in

- long overdue to be celebrated in Technic

- challenging enough for anyone who needs his/her creativity forced

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

I wouldn't join a free-to-build-anything contest. Because, what's even the contest in that? We have that all the time on the forum anyways. The idea of a contest (to me) is to do something different than normally. Also, having a theme sparks ideas.

Second this.

Some suggestions (not accumulative):

- Rather than framing a theme, maybe something like "At least 3 functions, which can be e.g. steering, fake engine, use of gear/rack/actuator/pneumatic function"

- Prohibition of building a brand vehicle, must be something unique. This is quite hard though... also maybe some discussion of what is allowed...

- Should be a future/completely automous vehicle

6 hours ago, Jim said:

TC9 was rather small. We can go for something a bit bigger. I'm thinking Corvette-ish scale.

Or simply double the TC9 limit and go for 20.000 CS.

Hmm, my impression had been that this contest was intended to be for really small models, of only a couple hundred pieces or so. My opinion would be that a contest of really small stuff doesn't need a theme, but by the time we reach Corvette scale the entries will be too diverse to compare with each other effectively without some kind of theme. I think my preference would be for smaller stuff, just because it's an area I've never really explored, but I don't feel strongly about it.

This may be a bit too similar to the TC20 studless contest, but how about a "scale-up a classic System set" type theme? You have the overall bounding box to stop models getting too big, you get a variety of models to keep (most) people happy and you get a fair comparison of models by including a comparison of the looks with the original System set as part of the scoring criteria. But unlike TC20, people can go nuts and add as many functions as they like within the confines of the bounding box!

4 hours ago, Jim said:

All jokes aside; of course we could limit the possible subject(s). But if we do motorcycles, the car people aren't happy. If we do helicopters, the truck people aren't happy etc etc.

I like to have more contestants than previous contest and I do think that having the freedom to build what you want will help with that. Of course, with the overall limitation of bounding box etc.

I don't think "making all the people equally happy" is relevant, in my opinion. As cars and trucks lover (I don't like build air- and sea- things made), I completelly happy to see how the people challenges here. I mean if the current challenge theme is not applicable for some people, it doesn't mean they will be guarantted unhappy. Someones are, yeah, but someones may try something really new.

I was a strong fan of LAs and never even touched pneumatic. But, after getting 42053 and 42128 sets I changed my confession and full of ideas how pneumatic could be used. So, give the limitations and some Inspiration to find a really creative  way to get rid of them.

57 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Hmm, my impression had been that this contest was intended to be for really small models, of only a couple hundred pieces or so. My opinion would be that a contest of really small stuff doesn't need a theme, but by the time we reach Corvette scale the entries will be too diverse to compare with each other effectively without some kind of theme. I think my preference would be for smaller stuff, just because it's an area I've never really explored, but I don't feel strongly about it.

A small scale contest could indeed be done without a theme, as the sizes puts significant limits and thus forces creativity. Judging might still be difficult, but I don't think that's a significant problem in small scale contest.

24 minutes ago, howitzer said:

A small scale contest could indeed be done without a theme, as the sizes puts significant limits and thus forces creativity. Judging might still be difficult, but I don't think that's a significant problem in small scale contest.

Small was indeed what we discussed before. So maybe we need to simply do the TC9, but with a single model.

On 5/26/2021 at 1:48 AM, msk6003 said:

@Jim will writing rules but I has another contest idea

We need build car. But car must come in movie, game and toy.

And not allowed model based any kind of real car.

So

Knight rider K.I.T.T is based pontiac firebird - not allowed

Ghost busters ECTO-1 is based classic cadllic - not allowed

Hot wheels Twin mill is not based any real car - allowed

Justice league batmobile is not based any real car - allowed

How about this idea?

The reason why I banned the model based on the actual vehicle is simply that we already make a/have a large amount of the actual vehicle model.

It's also because I don't want to see real cars in simulation games such as Forza and Gran Turismo in the name of "vehicle in the game."

Only exception of this rule is concept car. like TV serise batmobile - Lincoln futura.

New contest will looks  like this? This is car theme but not allowed any real car.

14 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

New contest will looks  like this? This is car theme but not allowed any real car.

But it’s still copying something that exists and not promoting imagination.

Can we please do anything else than cars?

There are already wayyyy too many cars in this theme.

I don't care - excavators. Port cranes. Trench diggers. Walking machines. Container stackers. Bridge layers. There's so much we could do.

Edit: here's some inspiration. Résumé des concours Technic (techlug.fr)

Edited by Erik Leppen

I loved TC9! So something in the vein would be great, and the bounding box is great.

I echo the desire for a theme. What about just basic construction machines? We keep trying to do something different, why not something "standard?" The "System Set Size Up" might be kindof fun too.

6 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Walking machines

Similar to this thing, I want see 'working' machine contest. Like CNC, milling machine... Even I know this is more limited than transforming vehicle. 

Ok I have one more idea. This will be easy to join than my other idea.

Basic idea is MOD the actual set.

You need choose 1~2 set.(rull must set this)

After choose set, you need to modify selected set to other thing. People can change set's color, can add custom sticker or other parts, or remove inside and rebuild to something else.

But not allowed simple RC/manual mod. Entry must be something different than original but still need to get recognition to original set.

Some example

9396 Helicopter - remove rotor and tail and add some booster to make space shuttle.

42000 F1 - make car more shorter, increasing ground clearance to make offroad vehicle

42138 Mustang - I completely rebuilt internal to make 4WD and steering. and change color, add custom sticker to make mustang RTR drift.

Technically this is hard to allowed in this idea but I post this for example.

276124802_3021074901449102_9082889809398

42124 offroad buggy - He replace wheel to track and ski to make snowmobile.

Edited by msk6003