Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

309 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

As the TC21 is near its end, are there already favorite topics for a new contest?

On 12/12/2021 at 7:11 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The new 42130 is also a good pick for this contest if it happens.

The "shrink-the-model-contest" idea is one of my favorites besides the PF/PU-contest with autonomous vehicle, and some restriction according to the amount of parts of the original model helps too. I'd even go for 850 pieces of the original model, so the 8460 could be included :D Also maybe a restriction to use half the parts or less of the original?

On a side note: @Jim Are you planning to do 1 contest per year as we are now catching up with the numbering of the contests with the year (TC22 in 2022)? Maybe the reason for the little number of contestants on TC21 could be the sheer number of contests in former years. If we'd have more time on our hands an really think about a model, it would be better: quality > quantity. Also there would be a little more anticipation and the contest really becomes a special at the end of the year.

Edited by Jundis

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

Maybe the reason for the little number of contestants on TC21

I'm pretty sure, that reason is some kind of complexity of that contest. And I also didn't catched really idea, what exactly needs to be built there.

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

On a side note: @Jim Are you planning to do 1 contest per year as we are now catching up with the numbering of the contests with the year (TC22 in 2022)? Maybe the reason for the little number of contestants on TC21 could be the sheer number of contests in former years. If we'd have more time on our hands an really think about a model, it would be better: quality > quantity. Also there would be a little more anticipation and the contest really becomes a special at the end of the year.

I am planning to do (at least) two contests a year, like usual.

I am pretty sure the "number of contests" is not an issue. The current TC21 contest is complex.

I think a poly bag contest was mentioned already, and I think that is a great idea compared to TC21 which has really pushed abilities and allotted time which no doubt a lot of us do not have much of (time, not abilities :blush:).

To save miss interpretations of the contest idea how about, like the polybag idea, the only constraint is a size limit i.e. it has to fit within X Y Z space (small area preferred for more entries) and you can just build anything you want as long as it fits in there in a normal state (so for a telescoping model it can extend out of that area if that is a function) That would really put our money where our mouth is after all our complaining of small technic sets not being functional these days (john deer thread :blush:).

hmm-very-interesting.jpg

I'm not in favor of a shrinking contest, but something along the lines of a polybag sounds interesting.

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

Polybag! Polybag!

- maximum 75 pieces

- All parts have to fit in a zip bag 15x15 cm

I think an additional requirement here could also be the making of building instructions (either as a digital instructions or a photo sequence) and including them as a part of the judging quality of the entrant. This way people would have to think not only the model, but the assembly process too, and it would also allow for easy checking of the part count requirements. Also, it would reinforce the spirit of sharing and learning as the purpose of having contests (in addition to the fun aspect of it).

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

I think an additional requirement here could also be the making of building instructions (either as a digital instructions or a photo sequence) and including them as a part of the judging quality of the entrant. This way people would have to think not only the model, but the assembly process too, and it would also allow for easy checking of the part count requirements. Also, it would reinforce the spirit of sharing and learning as the purpose of having contests (in addition to the fun aspect of it).

What a great idea! Also useful for checking of the functions.

1 hour ago, Zerobricks said:

Yes, polybags are a really great idea. Maybe even allow multiple entries per user?

But that could result in too much entries :D
In my opionion, could be be easily a contest with the most competitors so far.

@Jim If you settle for this contest, we definetely have to vote at least with the newer formula 1 theme as I expect many great entries.

Edited by Jundis

The idea sounds really cool. Since it shouldn't take a huge mount of time to create such a small model I might participate as well if a nice idea strikes me.

I don't think the assembly process of a polybag will really that difficult to make instructions for. But including Instructions in the judging criteria will give people who have experience making instructions a huge advantage. I don't know how to feel about that.

3 minutes ago, Jundis said:

But that could result in to much participants :D
In my opionion, there will be easily a contest with the most competitors so far.

Yes, the small car contest already had many dozens of entrants and I suspect this might have even more. Allowing for multiple entries per user would explode the amount and make judging really hard so I'd stick to one entry per contestant.

Just now, Gray Gear said:

But including Instructions in the judging criteria will give people who have experience making instructions a huge advantage. I don't know how to feel about that.

People who have experience in particular skill will always have a huge advantage, this is applies to every contest ever.

Piece count would be too hard to judge? I think a size limitation is better... bag, xyz dimensions, whatever really but it needs to be demonstrated on entry like some previous contests,

Regarding piece count instructions would help. The Parts list on rebrickable would allow for easy check of piece count. Making instructions mandatory would be ok with me. It would allow for plenty of small builds many can build :thumbup:

But judging the instructions as well is a bad idea imo.

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

People who have experience in particular skill will always have a huge advantage, this is applies to every contest ever.

Yes, but this is a LEGO contest, not a instruction making contest.  It is like the photo contests on facebook, where the photography skills are just as important as the MOC itself. But that is not the purpose of a "build a polybag" contest.

Also, would you really like to judge 50 building instructions on how thought-out the assembly is? I know I have better things to do :wink:

We won't be doing building instructions. 

Have we done part limit in the past or did we have the same discussion and switched to "bounding box limitations"? If memory serves me right, it was the latter and we haven't had any part number limit. 

2 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Maybe even allow multiple entries per user?

I'm not opposed to that. But you need to divide your highest final score by the number of entries :laugh: 
(let me think about it)

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

We won't be doing building instructions. 

Have we done part limit in the past or did we have the same discussion and switched to "bounding box limitations"? If memory serves me right, it was the latter and we haven't had any part number limit. 

I'm not opposed to that. But you need to divide your highest final score by the number of entries :laugh: 
(let me think about it)

The small car contest had bounding box limitations, I'm not aware of any contest with part count limitation.

For polybag scale the part count limitation shouldn't be too hard to judge though, as there can be a requirement to have the parts laid out on a table in single photo.

Maybe we can change polybag to "smallest set in a year's lineup" where we take a look at the dimensions of the small Unimog and the like to set the dimensions.

Something like this (143 parts). 

42133-1.jpg?202110110942

30 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Feels a lot like the 200 part MINI contest we did a while ago, which was awesome. I would be up for this again.

Exactly. But did we have a set part limit? I can't remember (I can look it up of course).

So we DID have a part limit contest. Wow, this was before the TC designation.

We used a picture to display all the parts. I kinda remembered something like that.

In this case we can do a "Mini with bounding box" contest, instead of part limit.

35 minutes ago, Jim said:

In this case we can do a "Mini with bounding box" contest, instead of part limit.

Good idea, should be easy to check with a photo of the MOC together with a simple box created from liftarms.

I like this idea!

6 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

poly bag

4 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Polybag

2 hours ago, Jim said:

polybag

51 minutes ago, Jim said:

Mini with bounding box

Sounds fun! I will join if this becomes the contest as i always abandon my ideas!

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Wow, this was before the TC designation

I just looked at the entries, there were so many amazing builds back then, mindblown!

1 hour ago, Jim said:

In this case we can do a "Mini with bounding box" contest, instead of part limit

Or a weight limit? :D

Edited by Jundis

50 minutes ago, whitepen said:

Sounds fun! I will join if this becomes the contest as i always abandon my ideas!

We could do an unfinished MOC contest! No entry may be more than 53% complete!

5 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

We could do an unfinished MOC contest! No entry may be more than 53% complete!

:laugh:

Edited by whitepen