Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

An idea came to my mind while seeing the crisis of less and less truckers available. I remembered that in the movie 'Logan', autonomous trucks roamed the highways:

1*OKYInCb0GTPD1nkIjpu9GQ.png

How about a Contest for creating autonomous machinery, maybe even using PU as there are now motors, control units and many apps available?

Could be everything from construction machinery (like the 42081 Volvo Zeux), autonomous tractors to autonomous personal carrier, where you can imagine a complete new layout without a combustion engine. 

7 minutes ago, Rebel_Lego said:

I’d like to join too, but maybe there is a problem with the fact that not everyone ownes a lot of pu…

We could allow PFmotors and C+ motors

I already said C+/PU contest many time. And answer is always same. "No because that will be mindstorm contest"

Why not mindstorm contest in the first place? Even that is separated to different forums it is still sub-theme of technic.

Edited by msk6003

Well, I do have something in mind, which I have been thinking about for years now. Recently I got a sign from above, so I might give it a go.

It will be a difficult contest, but I'm thinking about running it anyway.

And that contest will definitely utilize PF/PU.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Well, I do have something in mind, which I have been thinking about for years now. Recently I got a sign from above, so I might give it a go.

It will be a difficult contest, but I'm thinking about running it anyway.

And that contest will definitely utilize PF/PU. 

GBC?

8 minutes ago, Jundis said:

GBC?

I have said this numerous times, but I will glady repeat myself...I am not hosting a GBC contest. I need someone else to step in and take control. 

So nope, that's not it.

I will leave a clue; it does have something to do with the allegded line-up for 2022.
(which was/is my sign from above)

27 minutes ago, Jim said:

it does have something to do with the allegded line-up for 2022.

... and utilises PF/PU. A transforming car/vehicle?

19 minutes ago, ord said:

... and utilises PF/PU. A transforming car/vehicle?

And we have a winner!

Are we talking 'bout Transformers like vehicles with automated transformations? Ok, this is really huge *huh*

Just now, Jundis said:

Are we talking 'bout Transformers like vehicles with automated transformations? Ok, this is really huge *huh*

At first I was thinking about making a car chassis which transforms into a robot, possibly with a single motor. I have seen several of those on-the-line. But I have never continued with this because the contest would definitely be too complicated.

But now TLG has announced an app-controlled transforming vehicle (and we are not sure what it's about), we can probably do a (simplified) contest. I am thinking along the line of a motorized 8852, but since we aren't entirely sure, maybe we can leave the concept open to your own interpretation. 

Create your own interpretation of an app-controlled (doesn't have to be app, but PU or PF or whatever) transforming vehicle. The main transformation should be motorized. Something like that.

42 minutes ago, Jim said:

At first I was thinking about making a car chassis which transforms into a robot, possibly with a single motor. I have seen several of those on-the-line. But I have never continued with this because the contest would definitely be too complicated.

But now TLG has announced an app-controlled transforming vehicle (and we are not sure what it's about), we can probably do a (simplified) contest. I am thinking along the line of a motorized 8852, but since we aren't entirely sure, maybe we can leave the concept open to your own interpretation. 

Create your own interpretation of an app-controlled (doesn't have to be app, but PU or PF or whatever) transforming vehicle. The main transformation should be motorized. Something like that.

I'm for this idea but the problem is the bigger the moc is the more potential it has to do more transformations, so we should limit the scale of the car to something.

I'm really excited about this contest, as i've got a lot of transformable ideas buzzing around in my head.  The only thing that i can see being a limit (for me anyway), is the potential costs involved.  If my budget was broader, i think i'd be attempting something along the lines of those old 'Kenner Parker M.A.S.K' vehicles.

Edit:  I've just remembered and was wandering whether anybody else here remembers, the MK1 Toyota MR2 , a real life car that was entered into a Toyota contest, that transformed it's wheelbase?  I've searched for images on the internet, but to no avail, as it's decades old. I think a motorised technic version would be excellent!

Edited by Dazzzy

I am glad the idea for this contest might be feasible after all. So, we do need to think about:

• Scale limitations (yes or no. if yes, which scale)
  • What exactly is a transformation?

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

I am glad the idea for this contest might be feasible after all. So, we do need to think about:

38 minutes ago, Dazzzy said:

If my budget was broader, i think i'd be attempting something along the lines of those old 'Kenner Parker M.A.S.K' vehicles

Maybe a limit in how much motors you can use, e.g. just 1 or 2 motors?

This keeps the size of the MOC down and sparks even more creativity to power more functions with one motor. A video or gif should be mandatory to see the transformation action.

34 minutes ago, Jim said:

Scale limitations (yes or no. if yes, which scale)

Part limit. OK, it is harder to judge. But limit should be.

28 minutes ago, Jim said:

:thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Maybe a limit in how much motors you can use, e.g. just 1 or 2 motors?

This keeps the size of the MOC down and sparks even more creativity to power more functions with one motor. A video or gif should be mandatory to see the transformation action.

:thumbup:

Yes, i think you're both right. It probably is best to have some limitations, as well as defining what fits into the parameters of being considered 'transformable'. 

Personally i think i'd like the limits to be set at no more than 4 motors. Pretty much all the ideas swimming about inside my head, only use 3, but i think 4 would be  less restrictive, but should still present a challenge to those who choose to enter the contest.

Also size wise, i was going to suggest something no bigger than say the Technic McLaren Senna set. But considering the size of the PF/PU hubs and their battery boxes, i think something more along the lines of no bigger than the Technic Land Rover set. 

4 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Part limit. OK, it is harder to judge. But limit should be.

Maybe implement this by adding a weight limit proven by a photo with a kitchen scale..