Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

309 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

24 minutes ago, CrazyKreations said:

Hey Everyone do you think we would be allowed to make one vehicle or model out of a Set with multiple vehicles, would that count and be accepted as normal or do we have to go all or nothing? An example is by making the motorcycle in the set 60042-1

I asked that in the previous page, though regarding building sets with vehicles as sidebuilds. @Jimsaid he's okay with that, so I guess one vehicle from a multiple vehicles set would be okay too?

The contest is about recreating the model as close as possible. I’d recommend not turning a yellow model into a black model :tongue:

And studless doesn’t mean you can’t use studded parts at all. Just think about how modern studless set are designed.

1 hour ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Are B models allowed

If set has B model, it is mandatory :pir-grin:

Is it allowed to choose any studded technic model?

For example what if someone will choose the same set and starts to build it before me?

Would I have to choose another?

Edited by MP LEGO Technic creations

I think it would be interesting to see two different approaches to the same build! 
something that I have chosen already, might be built by someone else also but that’s ok.

sounds like a fun contest this one. I have some draft plans today of chosen subject but can’t proceed until the entry topic is more defined of course.

Ready to go!

15 minutes ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

For example what if someone will choose the same set and starts to build it before me?

I don’t see why @Jim and @Milan would limit a set to just being done by one person. If that rule was imposed there would be a mad rush of WIP threads with no content apart from a claim on a set and lots of arguments about who first claimed which set. Also having more than one person tackling a set would be interesting to see what approach each person has taken.

Just now, MangaNOID said:

I think it would be interesting to see two different approaches to the same build! 
something that I have chosen already, might be built by someone else also but that’s ok.

sounds like a fun contest this one. I have some draft plans today of chosen subject but can’t proceed until the entry topic is more defined of course.

Ready to go!

I’m waiting till the official thread appears before I work out what I’m going to build just in case it doesn’t fit the brief or the brief gives me a different idea.

2 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I’m waiting till the official thread appears before I work out what I’m going to build just in case it doesn’t fit the brief or the brief gives me a different idea.

Exactly!

Hope it'll start soon.

3 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I don’t see why @Jim and @Milan would limit a set to just being done by one person. If that rule was imposed there would be a mad rush of WIP threads with no content apart from a claim on a set and lots of arguments about who first claimed which set.

I my opinion, if more than one person were rebuilding the same set, it could lead to copying some parts of the build or the whole build with some minor changes.

10 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Yea totally get that, but With very limited and sporadic building time I was pretty keen to Chill and do some LDD when I did get time even if it ends up a waste of time :sceptic: plus I think I want to build chosen subject anyway even if not fit for the contest. It’s something I would never have built if not for this.
That’s why these contests are so good also :thumbup:

1 hour ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Exactly!

Hope it'll start soon.

I my opinion, if more than one person were rebuilding the same set, it could lead to copying some parts of the build or the whole build with some minor changes.

That's a valid concern for studded Technic.

If I'd enter, I wouldn't just copy the set with studded parts replaced by studless parts (obviously 100% replacement is not possible, but you get the idea), that's sure. Because of this simple replacement thing I don't like these remakes much.

In my opinion the contest should be about a complete paraphrase of the original models (within the original shape and color similarity constrain). So that means gaps-filled body design for example, as that is clearly the current trend.

I wonder what the contestants can come up with.

Edited by Lipko

If there won't be strict rules for scale, I will build my chosen set littlebit bigger, because of wheels. I wan't to build that set, as it would be designed today, with actual parts, using more frames for chassis. Those wheels, which ar on original, are not used already some years, and there are no actual wheels the same size.

9 minutes ago, Lipko said:

That's a valid concern for studded Technic.

If I'd enter, I wouldn't just copy the set with studded parts replaced by studless parts (obviously 100% replacement is not possible, but you get the idea), that's sure. Because of this simple replacement thing I don't like these remakes much. I wonder what the contestants can come up with.

Hmm given the number of sets to choose from (so ... nearly all from Lego except Technic from around 1998+ and some licenced models), I think it's rather a coincidence if two people choose the same AND use e.g. the same scale. The latter argument also applies for you second concern. I'd like to do a old System/City model, so I have to scale up. Should be able with a scale around 3:1, I start as soon as Jim starts the contest.

*Edit:

6 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Exactly.

Edited by Jundis

I’m hoping to be able to deviate from the colours slightly of the set if like to build in studless. It should still look like a studless Technic interpretation of the set but just won’t match colours 100%

But it depends on what the Moderators come up with for the competition rules ... which I why I’m not putting too much thought into it yet 

Edited by Seasider

@Jim will writing rules but I has another contest idea

We need build car. But car must come in movie, game and toy.

And not allowed model based any kind of real car.

So

Knight rider K.I.T.T is based pontiac firebird - not allowed

Ghost busters ECTO-1 is based classic cadllic - not allowed

Hot wheels Twin mill is not based any real car - allowed

Justice league batmobile is not based any real car - allowed

How about this idea?

The reason why I banned the model based on the actual vehicle is simply that we already make a/have a large amount of the actual vehicle model.

It's also because I don't want to see real cars in simulation games such as Forza and Gran Turismo in the name of "vehicle in the game."

Only exception of this rule is concept car. like TV serise batmobile - Lincoln futura.

Edited by msk6003

2 hours ago, Lipko said:

In my opinion the contest should be about a complete paraphrase of the original models (within the original shape and color similarity constrain). So that means gaps-filled body design for example, as that is clearly the current trend.

I'm leaning towards the same. I'll be going for an interpretation of the source set into the studless "language". If I think that a function should change, then I change it. If I think a knob should be somewhere else than in the source model, I can move it. I can even add functions if I find it reasonable. For example, function switchboxes are now more common than in the past.

Also, I don't think the colors should be an exact copy. For example, dark gray is now much more common than in the past, so if I think something makes more sense in dark gray, then I change it. Same goes for color-coded parts, such as yellow connectors or orange pins used in the frame. Wheel arches, those are now a normal thing to see, this wasn't always the case in older Technic.

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

If there won't be strict rules for scale, I will build my chosen set littlebit bigger, because of wheels. I wan't to build that set, as it would be designed today, with actual parts, using more frames for chassis. Those wheels, which ar on original, are not used already some years, and there are no actual wheels the same size.

I actually have the same issue. (I don't know if the wheels are still in use, but I don't have them). I can choose two scales: a bit smaller, or a bit bigger. I think a bit bigger is more interesting, because then I can add functions. Also, modern sets tend to be bigger than old sets.

@msk6003 I don't think the idea is all that interesting right now. We just had a car focused contest, and I think people like some variety.

Also, the "Concept car rule" would work to undermine the "fantasy car" idea. The Lamborghini Egoista is just one of many concept cars that have been featured in games. Many Supercar Companies make concept cars that would be allowed, more than one might think.

Edited by Gray Gear

Fantasy car contest sounds nice, but it is too open and needs to be refined, IMHO. 

But as I am not fan of any superhero-related things, bat- and other character- themed - mobiles (even imaginary and non-canonical) might be interesting. 

I really look forward to this ('studless rebuild' ) contest and variety in approaches and all the non-technic sets rebuilt to their technic counterparts. 

5 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

@msk6003 I don't think the idea is all that interesting right now. We just had a car focused contest, and I think people like some variety.

Also, the "Concept car rule" would work to undermine the "fantasy car" idea. The Lamborghini Egoista is just one of many concept cars that have been featured in games. Many Supercar Companies make concept cars that would be allowed, more than one might think.

That's true, but I put a limit on the actual car because I didn't want someone submit some porsche 911 and say "this car came from forza/granturismo so allowed".

And most concept car is not builted into retail version. This make that car rare. Sometimes only made one like futura I said. That's why I allow concept car. It is unique enough like car which I allow.

Edited by msk6003

I don’t think that the studless rebuild contest would work without open scale? Might be a bit too limiting?
and adding functions is the core of technic, maybe Not core of this type of contest of course as recognisability seems the main goal? but no point building a city car into technic if it only will have rolling wheels like most city cars do. 

16 hours ago, msk6003 said:

@Jim will writing rules but I has another contest idea

I probably have the next contest covered. I will try to get my hands on some prizes, so we can move on right after this one. For now, let's focus on the current contest.

I will try to get the current content topic published tonight.

17 hours ago, Seasider said:

I’m hoping to be able to deviate from the colours slightly of the set if like to build in studless. It should still look like a studless Technic interpretation of the set but just won’t match colours 100%

But it depends on what the Moderators come up with for the competition rules ... which I why I’m not putting too much thought into it yet 

Like I stated earlier; you can pretty much do anything you like. But the contest is about replicating an older studded set (or part of a set). So you can use different colors, but the more you deviate from the original, the less "points" you will get. However, it doesn't need to be an exact match (see Erik's comment below).

15 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I'm leaning towards the same. I'll be going for an interpretation of the source set into the studless "language". If I think that a function should change, then I change it. If I think a knob should be somewhere else than in the source model, I can move it. I can even add functions if I find it reasonable. For example, function switchboxes are now more common than in the past.

Also, I don't think the colors should be an exact copy. For example, dark gray is now much more common than in the past, so if I think something makes more sense in dark gray, then I change it. Same goes for color-coded parts, such as yellow connectors or orange pins used in the frame. Wheel arches, those are now a normal thing to see, this wasn't always the case in older Technic.

I actually have the same issue. (I don't know if the wheels are still in use, but I don't have them). I can choose two scales: a bit smaller, or a bit bigger. I think a bit bigger is more interesting, because then I can add functions. Also, modern sets tend to be bigger than old sets.

This :thumbup:

19 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Yes. Nothing happens. No.

I’ve actually got a few favourite stud based models in mind so depending upon the rules I’ll work out which to choose. Or perhaps even start building a few and see how I go before posting my WIP thread

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

I’ve actually got a few favourite stud based models in mind so depending upon the rules I’ll work out which to choose. Or perhaps even start building a few and see how I go before posting my WIP thread

Me too! I'm looking forward to this contest.