Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

4 minutes ago, kolbjha said:

Should we only use parts currently offered by TLG, or can we also use retired parts? What about 3rd party strings, rubber bands etc.?

The same rules as we usually apply. Any official LEGO part and 3rd party strings, hoses and rubber bands.

49 minutes ago, Jim said:

The same rules as we usually apply. Any official LEGO part and 3rd party strings, hoses and rubber bands.

:thumbup:

How is it possible that another contest that I am excited about and I'm away from my Legos for the next month...:pir-cry_sad:

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Damn I wanted 8479 Barcode truck. (Green is rare to me and this set is counted one of very first of mindstorm.)

Edited by msk6003

Before the frenzy starts, I'm going to claim my set, the 1979 classic, 875 Red Beams with Connector Pegs.

875-1.png

I've even got my entry ready!

IMG_20210520_201534678.jpg

In all seriousness, this contest doesn't hugely excite me, but I get that you can't please everyone all the time. I'll probably find something to enter, though, just because contests are so much fun!

Also, could an exception to the proposed no-motors rule be made to allow equivalent electronics, but only in sets that originally included motors? There are some very appealing classic sets (control centers, multi model control set, barcode multi set, space shuttle, etc) that really cannot be rebuilt manually without losing most of what made them special in the first place.

Ah, wait. licensed set is not allowed? Damn I find perfect model for this contest but it is double licensed....

Or can't we allow a license model under conditions that keep the same scale with original model?

Edited by msk6003

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Before the frenzy starts, I'm going to claim my set, the 1979 classic, 875 Red Beams with Connector Pegs.

875-1.png

IMG_20210520_201534678.jpg

In all seriousness, this contest doesn't hugely excite me, but I get that you can't please everyone all the time. I'll probably find something to enter, though, just because contests are so much fun!

:rofl:

Cool contest but I don't know how people will judge an entry, so what is the task every contestants should look for?

Let's take a Lego City car.

I will make a perfect replica in a similar scale, using only technic parts.

Someone else will take the same car and make a big replica which is not as close as the original model, but it has more details and more functions. It is a technic contest, so I think the second one will win against the first one, but is that the right voting criteria for this contest?

Another example. Let's take a studded Technic model: I replace all studded beams with studdless liftarms and I have my entry for the contest?

Edited by mpj

5 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Also, could an exception to the proposed no-motors rule be made to allow equivalent electronics, but only in sets that originally included motors? There are some very appealing classic sets (control centers, multi model control set, barcode multi set, space shuttle, etc) that really cannot be rebuilt manually without losing most of what made them special in the first place.

I thought of this one too, there are some great sets which had motors like the Space Shuttle which couldn't really be made into modern set without motors.

But then: Motorized studded sets weren't actually very common so it's not a huge number of sets overall. There are the two control centers, which couldn't really be made into a modern set without either the original control unit or a Mindstorms unit, which takes it far outside the scope of this contest. Then there's the Shuttle, which requires micromotor and fiber optics, unavailable to most people and without modern replacement. Same goes to 8082 and 8456 as they also had a micromotor/fiber optics. 8479 would be great but I'm not sure how you would implement the functionality without, again, the original pieces or Mindstorms. As for the other motorized universal sets, I believe those could be made into manual versions without losing any important functionality. Then there's the 8868, which would have to be fitted with manual pumps to replace the compressor, but I think it has been done so many times already that it's not a very good choice for an entry anyway. 8457 straddles the line between studless and studful, but those tyres are pretty rare and the set wouldn't really work without them so I don't see excluding it a problem either. There were couple of other motorized racing sets at the turn of the millennium which are similarly a mix of studless and studful construction and probably not very interesting either. And that's it I think. Did I miss anything noteworthy?

6 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

:laugh:

You just won the Volvo :laugh:

5 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

No electronics. Pick another set.

5 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Ah, wait. licensed set is not allowed? Damn I find perfect model for this contest but it is double licensed....

Or can't we allow a license model under conditions that keep the same scale with original model?

Licensed is allowed.

For everyone:

I am AFK for the weekend, so  will create the official topic on Monday.

2 hours ago, mpj said:

Cool contest but I don't know how people will judge an entry, so what is the task every contestants should look for?

I will try to make that as clear as possible in the official topic. Need to think about that for a bit.

Just remember; bigger isn't always better. I would love to see some smaller scale models. And we will have some form of jury voting :wink:

2 hours ago, mpj said:

Someone else will take the same car and make a big replica which is not as close as the original model, but it has more details and more functions. It is a technic contest, so I think the second one will win against the first one, but is that the right voting criteria for this contest?

Like I stated earlier; don't add unnecessary extra functions for the sake of adding stuff. This contest is about replicating an original model. 

The first one will get my vote in this case.

51 minutes ago, Jim said:

Licensed is allowed.

Good. Very good. I don't own original set but this is very interesting set. Already started rear axle. I hope I can finish it....

Ooh a new competition. If we’re allowed to change the scale I’ve got a thought already bubbling away in my head about something I’ve been getting into.

Well, this sounds great! Too many ideas, too many possible approaches, too many sets that might bring back memories (or kind of). 

Oh and does remakes in different colours allowed. E.g green and white garbage truck, can it be remade in black and red. Will it still be okay?

20 minutes ago, CrazyKreations said:

Oh and does remakes in different colours allowed. E.g green and white garbage truck, can it be remade in black and red. Will it still be okay?

I think it is not OK... of course you can do it,  but when judges will evaluate similarities to the original model, you will not get high rates.

1 minute ago, mpj said:

I think it is not OK... of course you can do it,  but when judges will evaluate similarities to the original model, you will not get high rates.

Thanks mate, definitely no shortcuts.

Yep, that's my interpretation as well, no altering colour schemes. Recognizability of the source material is an important consideration here.

This does pose a difficulty with some sets though, for example there's no green 1L or 2L liftarms and the parts palette in green is pretty limited in other ways too so some Octan sets might be difficult to recreate in studless Technic.

I already know, what I will rebuild, but can we start already?

Not sure if there’s an easy answer to this question, but how studless is studless? If, for example, an entry has only studless beams/connectors, etc., except this part: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=43121

Will cases like these be a “use at your own risk” situation - up to the voters to decide? Or is any studded piece hard-stop verboten? 

4 minutes ago, Pattspatt said:

Not sure if there’s an easy answer to this question, but how studless is studless? If, for example, an entry has only studless beams/connectors, etc., except this part: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=43121

Will cases like these be a “use at your own risk” situation - up to the voters to decide? Or is any studded piece hard-stop verboten? 

Full ban on any part that has a stud or studs would make for a pretty stupid limitations as for example 6587 (axle 3L with stud) and engine block pieces would be forbidden. I'm quite sure the spirit of the contest is to take a set that uses studs as the main method of connecting parts together, and rebuild it so that the main method of connection would be by pins, instead of excluding every part that has a stud.

Hey Everyone do you think we would be allowed to make one vehicle or model out of a Set with multiple vehicles, would that count and be accepted as normal or do we have to go all or nothing? An example is by making the motorcycle in the set 60042-1

23 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I'm quite sure the spirit of the contest is to take a set that uses studs as the main method of connecting parts together, and rebuild it so that the main method of connection would be by pins, instead of excluding every part that has a stud.

Works for me!