Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

Um....
If ANY set is allowed that means pretty much any model if there is no strict (but very hard to define) rules. I can't think of too many topics (apart from military) that was not covered at some point in Lego history.

"I have an idea/model lying around already, now all I have to do is find a matching Lego set and change some colors" kind of thing.

I have some ideas:

• size limit or
  • same scale as the original or
  • overall shape has to match the original set (but this would require judging by the moderators)

I realize not every set would work, but for something like 6989 Mega Core Magnetizer, I would personally have no objection to the original studded windshield being present, plus just enough to interface with the magnets. That is probably a slippery slope, so we might have to accept that some sets just won't work because their original parts are too iconic.

43 minutes ago, ralphie said:

I realize not every set would work, but for something like 6989 Mega Core Magnetizer, I would personally have no objection to the original studded windshield being present, plus just enough to interface with the magnets. That is probably a slippery slope, so we might have to accept that some sets just won't work because their original parts are too iconic.

I do like your example. That is basically the reason I don't want the contest to be limited to Technic sets only. But it's a slippery slope.

57 minutes ago, Lipko said:

"I have an idea/model lying around already, now all I have to do is find a matching Lego set and change some colors" kind of thing.

This slippery slope.

So it's either...

Option A
Rebuild any LEGO set into a studless Technic set.

Option B
Rebuild a studded Technic set into a studless Technic set.

I'd say B, but how about including the original model team sets (not the modern licensed creator expert sets) to be made into pure studless Technics?

With option A it would get all over the place while keeping it to model team and studded Technic sets feels doable - we'd get both bare see-through liftarm builds as well as fully enclosed ones in panels.

I believe B would be too limited scope, but A seems too wide as it is, if it were limited to vehicles, then it's fine IMO.

I want to go with A, but if I'm honest I really want A so I build and see remakes of classis town or space in Technic. I guess I can do that on my own. B would be a lot of fun, so I don't have a problem with that.

Due to the scope of A, I'd go either B, or A, but limited to vehicles (including spacecraft, and the like).

I'd go for Technic only, but be sure to include B-models, and all models from universal sets. I think there's quite a lot to choose from, even from just the Technic theme. Think dinosaur or printing machine :) Also, I see nothing wrong with seeing various 8865 clones, or different kinds of buggies or excavators or whatever :) Remember how Blakbird's Technicopedia may not be up to date all the way up to 2020, but I believe it includes the entirety of the studded era. And there're a LOT of models on there :)

But I can't vote A or B, as I'm biased because I already have a set in mind :) Also, I wanted to have it mentioned: what about offering 2 categories? Technic, and all the rest? It will be clear soon enough how popular each category becomes :)

24 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

<snip> Remember how Blakbird's Technicopedia may not be up to date all the way up to 2020, but I believe it includes the entirety of the studded era. And there're a LOT of models on there :)

No B-models there though.

---

Keeping it to Technic sets might pose a difficulty for someone who doesn't have any studded era sets or only has a few. Technicopedia is great for information on the functions etc. but nothing beats getting your hands on the set and trying it yourself. If it were limited to Technic sets, all B-models and universal set variations would definitely have to be allowed too.

How about making a City vehicle into a Technic model? Scale could be set in the contest rules so that entries would be similar in complexity/functionality but beyond that you could make a motorcycle, car, truck, boat or whatever.

Of course these could be two different contests too.

13 hours ago, Touc4nx said:

In my opinion, any set might bring som more interesting MOCs, as it would require to add some functionality, not just remake the functionality.

That's what I'm wondering. Rebuilding a set with only the original functions would likely result in only simple functions being included, which would be a bit of a turnoff for me. (Choosing a topic carefully could help, though)

2 hours ago, howitzer said:

Keeping it to Technic sets might pose a difficulty for someone who doesn't have any studded era sets or only has a few. Technicopedia is great for information on the functions etc. but nothing beats getting your hands on the set and trying it yourself. If it were limited to Technic sets, all B-models and universal set variations would definitely have to be allowed too.

Well, my studded set collection is limited to two >100 piece motorcycles, but I do have enough studded parts in my collection to more or less rebuild the majority of studded sets (ie, I rebuilt all the classic supercars in wild colors), so a lot can be done with a little.

It would also be necessary to determine which sets are studded and which are studless, since some sets really blur the line.

I like option A.   I'd love to see some Technic remakes of some of the old space sets.  Lots of neat space buggies or spaceships to rebuild.  Or Star Wars.  I think option A would work, but being that this is a Technic contest, the focus should be on functions.  A massive Black Seas Barracuda ship built with Technic but with no functions wouldn't fit the spirit of the contest, IMHO.

If it's too broad of a topic, we could narrow it down to a theme.  Rebuild any Star Wars set into Technic.  Or classic Space, MTRON, BlackTron, Space Police, Ice Planet, etc.  Or, narrow it down to classic Town vehicles (including airplanes, helicopters, or boats).  

That could be a lot of fun, I think.  That's just me though, and knowing me, I'll probably build too slow to have anything built in time to enter. :laugh:

If a line had to be drawn on which Technic sets were acceptable as source material and which were not, I'd say that anything released before the year 2000 would make a nice division. There were studless sets before that but I don't think they are very interesting for the competition (most are micro sets) and 2000 onwards most sets released were studless, the only clearly studful ones being re-releases from the 90's. 8457 and 8458 mix the line quite a bit though so maybe they could be included too.

7 hours ago, CrazyKreations said:

If we do this studless remake contest for all LEGO themes it will go crazy. I am rooting for technic only

You of all people should be thrilled by Crazy....creations?! :tongue: :laugh:

Since the majority of the people seem to prefer option B, I will do what every decent government would do....go for option A :laugh:

Jokes aside, I am still leaning towards option A to make it more fun and see more interesting (crazy) creations. I do think that I will be enforcing the "more or less the same scale" rule, so people won't be able to make a big yellow supercar, because there is a tiny LEGO car in City. So it needs to be (more or less) the same size/scale.

I feel option A might encourage more entries. Also allowing for different scales might broaden the range of entries, who wouldn't like to see a giant technic Galaxy Explorer?

People may be tempted to build enormous supercars and claim they're city but perhaps the voting should include points for accuracy.

Edited by ukbajadave

32 minutes ago, Jim said:

Since the majority of the people seem to prefer option B, I will do what every decent government would do....go for option A :laugh:

All hail King Jim)))

32 minutes ago, Jim said:

Jokes aside, I am still leaning towards option A to make it more fun and see more interesting (crazy) creations. I do think that I will be enforcing the "more or less the same scale" rule, so people won't be able to make a big yellow supercar, because there is a tiny LEGO car in City. So it needs to be (more or less) the same size/scale.

Thanks, it would indeed be more fun, as there's a greater variety of vehicles availbale outside of studded Technic! Now to find all the pieces for the inspiration set hahah

My second thought why I wouldn't like the contest to be about any set is that the competition might leave people with less bricks with no chance if there is a requirement for physical build because there will always be those people with ton of the money to sink into huge builds and from my experience, people do drool when they see big expensive builds simply because they can't have them, like they do every time someone drops a gallery of their new super expensive PC build with all the RGB bells and whistles. So I'd rather see a contest with specific size limits like the TC18 had.

25 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

My second thought why I wouldn't like the contest to be about any set is that the competition might leave people with less bricks with no chance if there is a requirement for physical build because there will always be those people with ton of the money to sink into huge builds and from my experience, people do drool when they see big expensive builds simply because they can't have them, like they do every time someone drops a gallery of their new super expensive PC build with all the RGB bells and whistles. So I'd rather see a contest with specific size limits like the TC18 had.

This is a problem with most of the contests. We will do a contest with limits in the future, but not for this one.

I will work out the details, but this will probably be the contest.

Rebuild a studded LEGO set into a Technic version.

• Doesn't have to be an exact replica, but you need to get as close as possible.
  • Doesn't have to be the exact same scale, but you need to get as close as possible.
  • There will be probably be some sort of jury voting or 50/50 or so.

1st prize will be

51191746634_7d8657e47d_z.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

That prize is crazyyyyy

10 minutes ago, Jim said:

• Doesn't have to be an exact replica, but you need to get as close as possible.
  • Doesn't have to be the exact same scale, but you need to get as close as possible.
  • There will be probably be some sort of jury voting or 50/50 or so.

This is worded somewhat oddly ... Do you mean a studded Technic set into a studless Technic set?

If not, there isn't a whole lot of normal System sets that can be build that have the same scale?