Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

309 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

Maybe I wasn’t clear, but by chassis I mean the whole car except bodywork. So the rear and front suspension, engine, gearbox etc. Like example I posted, created by Nathanael. Except his version did have a body, albeit a very simple one.

I have been thinking about a “no panel” car contest too, so maybe we could combine them. Build a modular car without panels.

8 hours ago, Jim said:

I have been thinking about a “no panel” car contest too, so maybe we could combine them. Build a modular car without panels.

This sounds great

Hmm I am not a big fan of this idea of modular car builds. From the complexity level and aspiration, surely this will be good. But for a competition with a (hopefully) broad range of participants, I think this is a way to complex task. There will be some high level entries, but I think it's hard for newbies (I count myself into this group) who never build a car frame bottom up.

@Jim: Apart from the no-panel-rule, do you have other regulations in mind like scale?

I might be intrested in a modular car chassis contest. While I don't have any real experience building modular, I think it could be a nice challenge. Scale would have to be free tho, because I do 1:8 Scale and nothing else.

But I wouldn't want to do bodywork, and especially not bodywork without using Panels. While I can see myself building a modular chassis as a side project for a contest within a reasonable timeframe (like a few weeks) that definitely wouldn't be possible with bodywork.

If I had to build a car for a contest without using panels I'd rather invest my time in a MOC car I actually enjoy. It just takes up too much time and not using panels just sounds like a pain imo.

2 hours ago, steph77 said:

Jim, are we talking about something like this: credit@Charbel

That is exactly what I had in mind! However, looking at the video, I do think it will be very complicated. Maybe too complicated for a contest.

Are there instructions for that model? Looks awesome.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Nice! Thanks.

Okay, looking at that video, I will abandon the modular car concept for the next context. Thanks for pointing it out.

oh no - the modular car concept is such an amazing idea for the contest. I'd be super thrilled to work on something like this... preferebly with bodywork as well (or at least allowed to do bodywork, but not as a part of the contest-judging) 

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

It just takes up too much time and not using panels just sounds like a pain imo.

Not that hard

@Jurss I am not saying it is hard to do, I am saying it is not fun for me. The result will be worse that what could have been achieved with panels, as nicely demonstrated by your example. Some might enjoy building under some kind of constraint, but I like to use the best brick for the job. It is not for me.

So....I'm kinda leaning towards the studless remake idea.

That gets my vote. So many fun options...Old Technic, new Speed Champions, old Town, Pirates, whatever was going on in the 2000s.

5 minutes ago, Lira_Bricks said:

Will the studless redesign also allow redesigning Lego System sets, or only the old Technic sets?

I was thinking about ANY studded LEGO set to make it more interesting, but I am not opposed to only Technic. What the majority wants.

With an optional picture to show both sets side-by-side.

In my opinion, any set might bring som more interesting MOCs, as it would require to add some functionality, not just remake the functionality.

A contest to make any lego studless set (not just technic) would have very diverse entries such as Nerdsforprez U-wing or Jeroen Ottens X-wing:

but maybe it should be separated from the studless technic set contest.

Another interesting possibility would be to focus on technic sets but not only to make studless, but to be able to change styles that technic has evolved since its beginnings,

for example, the sian type flex axles like the 8448, the mack athem like the 8462, or like the Le Mans racer with silver green panels by Erik Leppen like the sets from 2001

Anyway I still want a GBC contest :P

We are working on a GBC contest, but like I stated before; I will be supporting it, but I won't be the captain. Or as we say in Holland "I won't be pulling the cart" :D

27 minutes ago, dvm said:

Another interesting possibility would be to focus on technic sets but not only to make studless, but to be able to change styles that technic has evolved since its beginnings,

for example, the sian type flex axles like the 8448, the mack athem like the 8462, or like the Le Mans racer with silver green panels by Erik Leppen like the sets from 2001

Let's keep it simple :laugh:

I'm all for the "studless remake" contest. I'd focus on Technic sets, but that's my thing. Otherwise, almost anything becomes possible and I'm not sure that's a good thing. Someone comes along with a Technic Taj Mahal and how can that be compared to other entries? :)

What did you intend to do with scale? Is the studless remake intended to be in the same scale as the original set?

I'm asking because I still think a "rescale a set" contest could also be interesting. Create "the same" model as an existing set but in a different scale (and complexity, of course). Personally I think these are two separate contests. A same-scale "change the build style from studded to studless" contest now, and a "rescale" contest later.

Edit: I assume color can also be changed. For those who don't have all the colors lying around :)

Edited by Erik Leppen

5 hours ago, Jim said:

I was thinking about ANY studded LEGO set to make it more interesting, but I am not opposed to only Technic. What the majority wants.

With an optional picture to show both sets side-by-side.

Ok great :D Because I already had some ideas that are from other themes than Technic :3

I would be fine with studless remake with only Technic or with any previous set. Technic only may limit the diversity of entries (how may 8865 remakes will there be?). It would certainly connect well to this forum.

Opening it up to include any set may make the entries too broad. But I could see some fun recreations of 6693, 6357, or 6335. And anything IcePlanet or Blacktron 1 or 2 would be awesome.