Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

1 hour ago, Thirdwigg said:

I was joking. Sorry that was not clear.

Ok, I missed the joke but all good :)

Of the three most seriously considered contest ideas lately (GBC, static, and studfull to studless), the only one I would personally plan on entering would be the static model one, for what it's worth, mainly just because I have no GBC experience, and the studfull to studless one would focus more on appearance and strong design rather than the functions I favor.

This is just my opinion, though!

3 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Of the three most seriously considered contest ideas lately (GBC, static, and studfull to studless), the only one I would personally plan on entering would be the static model one, for what it's worth, mainly just because I have no GBC experience, and the studfull to studless one would focus more on appearance and strong design rather than the functions I favor.

This is just my opinion, though!

I also have very little experience with GBC's, I've never built a module that actually works (started a couple but never finished them) but after a contest on them got serious consideration, I have found myself thinking of all kinds of GBC's and now I'm just waiting for the contest to be announced so I can actually start building. Well, I guess I could build anyway, but then I'd have to invent something new to participate...

1 minute ago, howitzer said:

I also have very little experience with GBC's, I've never built a module that actually works (started a couple but never finished them) but after a contest on them got serious consideration, I have found myself thinking of all kinds of GBC's and now I'm just waiting for the contest to be announced so I can actually start building. Well, I guess I could build anyway, but then I'd have to invent something new to participate...

I certainly appreciate the mechanical brilliance in GBCs, and I can see myself enjoying building them, but they tend to be very dependent on System parts, particularly lots of tiles, and my System collection is too weak to easily sustain this sort of building. (And I'm too cheap to buy more!) I guess I'd also have to find some balls to use... Maybe I could get a handful next time I order stuff from Lego.

6 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

How about a Pullback Monster Jam competition :laugh:

We already did pullback contest, so how about remove pullback and just make Monster Jam truck contest?

Any scale, Any power suply possable.

Edited by msk6003

13 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

How about a Pullback Monster Jam competition :laugh:

It sounds like a competition like that has already been done in at least one local community, so such a contest would lack interest for at least a few users here.

I in particular don't like Monster Jam, and I don't think such a limited contest is that good an idea. I mean, I thought that even the motorcycle contest was too limited. I'd like to have some freedom. I think the best contests strike a balance between being super restrictive, and being too broad.

Okay, let me tell what has been in my mind for a couple of years. I would love to do a "Modular Car Contest". Build a car that consists of several subassemblies which can be joined together to form a car. 

Inpiration for such a contest comes from the modular supercar Nathanael built a decade ago.

https://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=339403
http://www.technicbricks.com/2010/10/modular-concept-car-from-nk-evolves.html

I was thinking about doing only the chassis, so can do another contest to build the bodywork on the winner's chassis in a future contest. Another option would be to include the bodywork, but do a "no-panel" bodywork.

Modular sub-assemblies can only be joined using these (possibly only in red, so it's clear these are used to disassemble the modules):

32054.png

You can get something like this:

main_modules.jpg

My main concern is that this is a fairly complicated contest. On the other hand; we have our share of less complicated contests.

Thoughts?

PS I will have a decent 1st prize for such a contest.

In regards of the modular contest:

- Would the parts need to follow a certain connection pattern so that every module presented can be combined with anyother (suspension from contestant A can be fixed on contestant's B middle section), or basically build whatever you want as long as it consists of several subassemblies joined using 32054 pin? 

- I suppose any scale would go?

Not a particular fan of modular cars, but would be a fun contest trying to make the modules as sturdy as possible by themselves and combined))

For the modular contest :

It seems interesting, but hard to make in practice. IMO, it would require a long period of time to be built.
Also, this would bring some true technical challenges, and not only a good panelling job. This could be interesting.

For The (possible) GBC contest, I'm quite hyped by the idea, and I'm also waiting on news :classic:

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Thoughts?

PS I will have a decent 1st prize for such a contest.

If such rules, i am in.

3 hours ago, 9v system said:

do we have any updates on the GBC contest?

Please read back some of the previous posts. In short; we need a captain for the contest. I can add you to a PM conversation.

10 minutes ago, Jim said:

Please read back some of the previous posts. In short; we need a captain for the contest. I can add you to a PM conversation.

No offence to anyone, but the coolest looking GBC’s need to have a lot of fancy bodywork and for people like me (technic fans) who only care about the functions might miss out because of the bodywork. Whereas if we narrowed it down to best functioning GBC it might be a bit more fair.

1 minute ago, CrazyKreations said:

No offence to anyone, but the coolest looking GBC’s need to have a lot of fancy bodywork and for people like me (technic fans) who only care about the functions might miss out because of the bodywork. Whereas if we narrowed it down to best functioning GBC it might be a bit more fair.

Extremely rare for GBC modules to use any bodywork.

1 minute ago, Doug72 said:

Extremely rare for GBC modules to use any bodywork.

Sorry I mean really smooth and perfect looking outside (outer part)

16 minutes ago, CrazyKreations said:

I have never spoken of GBC without Bodywork. You might want to read my posts again :tongue:

We're talking about two different things here.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

I have never spoken of GBC without Bodywork. You might want to read my posts again :tongue:

We're talking about two different things here.

Oops sorry Mate, my bad :grin:

I think I'd skip the modular car contest, it's complicated and thematically not very interesting. Might be a good challenge, but I prefer to seek challenge elsewhere.

I think I'd enter a modular car contest. It would give me a great excuse to build a scale model without bodywork!

I like the idea of a modular contest, but mainly the idea of it. I'm not going to build a chassis and then wait 4 months to run a new contest to build modules for the winning chassis. The way I'd like to see the contest is that we're asked to build a modular car. That means, the whole car. And then show in a video how it is a modular car. That way, we don't have to agree on some kind of standard connection system (or even a scale), but everyone can have their own way of connecting things. Maybe you want to have the front axis be moved in from below, but someone else decides the front axle moves on from the front, or the top, or even sideways or via a rotating motion. Maybe I decide to shove in an axle to fixate things, someone else pushes a few pins, someone else has a little locking mechanism in place. Maybe person A decides the rollcage is one module with the axle modules clicking on at the front and rear, while person B thinks the main module is the bottom plate that runs from front to back with the axle modules clicking on its top.

This way, I see a lot of options to design different "assembly mechanisms". You wouldn't grasp that aspect of modular design if you'd ask to design one module. You'll get more diverse entries.

The proposed idea to design a car chassis, for me, has little to do with modularity. It's merely a car chassis design contest. Which is cool, but not as interesting, I'd say.

Also, if you do a chassis contest now, and then a front axle contest 4 months from now, you eliminate the option to improve the chassis because the original, while stronger, didn't allow for that cool all-wheel-steering function.

For me, modularity does not imply that the modules are universal. It just means "easy to dis-/reassemble. For example, a washing machine would be modular if I can take out the drum if it's broken and replace it by a new drum of the same manufacturer. I don't see why that would have to be a different drum. But that's my vision on what modularity means. And from that vision, I personally have no interest in building upon someone else's modules.

Edit: I'd be totally fine with leaving out the bodywork. In fact I'd be hesitant to join if bodywork were required. I feel for supercars especially, bodywork grabs way too much attention already.

Edited by Erik Leppen