Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

309 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

Contest name: On the right track!

Requirement: Convert a non-tracked technic set into a tracked one.

9 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Another thing that I think would be cool would be to remake City or other non Technic sets in Technic style, which Thirdwigg also did, with a Technic remake of 6352.

I have been thinking about this. Instead of remaking an old studded Technic model, simply remake ANY studded LEGO set. Would be cool to have contestants display the old and new model together, but I am not sure that should be a requirement.

If we go for a no-wheel contest, it will be a no-vehicle contest, so no helicopters, boats, etc either.

56 minutes ago, Jim said:

If we go for a no-wheel contest, it will be a no-vehicle contest, so no helicopters, boats, etc either.

No cars, trucks, cranes, boats, planes, chopers.... spaceships (!),... quite a challenge.

Watch out, GBCs are none of those! :classic:

1 hour ago, Jim said:

So it would be like a "Stationary Technic Build" contest. But wheels that are not used to move the creation would still be allowed, right?

28 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

How about build a factory/production/sorting line?

with no electronics allowed.

32 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I wouldn't narrow it down too much. I think a contest that would allow for GBC's, but also for something else stationary would be better.

7 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I wouldn't narrow it down too much. I think a contest that would allow for GBC's, but also for something else stationary would be better.

In my opinion, I would exclude GBCs. GBCs are a specialized field that deserves its own contest. 

3 hours ago, Jim said:

I have been thinking about this. Instead of remaking an old studded Technic model, simply remake ANY studded LEGO set. Would be cool to have contestants display the old and new model together, but I am not sure that should be a requirement.

I like the first idea better. The second one will most likely result in very big builts and newcomers with fewer bricks will be a little discouraged of joining. But it's just my opinion.

@Gray Gear : I think a stationary machinery contest AND a GBC contest will be kind of similar?

Edited by Jundis

@Jundis exactly. That's why I think it wouldn't be a good idea to exclude GBC's and make seperate contests.

I also feel like the entry number will be quite low if GBC's are excluded.

3 hours ago, Jim said:

The set remake sounds very interesting, would make for great fun considering the amount of options from other themes. In regards of no-wheel contest I immediately thought of a walker contest, however a static model contest would also be fun with GBCs included, though it might require a certain category differentiation, so as not to make a huge factory-like entry compete with a small module (either size or part count division for categories).

I think we need to make a poll with one of the options being the GBC and the other the stud remake one. A stud remake will bring back so many memories but I like some don’t have there resources to make a Good looking GBC (Correct part colours and all). I am really in favour of the studded remake!

Edited by CrazyKreations

Man... i just destroyed my non-studded remake of 8837 (using the old pneumatic pumps of course).

Think you guys would've liked it.

Anyway, it'd be good to remake another set.

I also think GBC's are indeed deserving of their own contest, separate from other stationary machinery. Other stationary machinery is a pretty diverse category, it could be a (non-mobile) crane, a clock, a model of power tool, a warehouse-robot or whatever, while GBC's are all about the very specific task of moving balls and the interesting thing about them is all the diverse and innovative ways of accomplishing that task. In my opinion bunching them together would be like having a contest where all kinds of wheeled land vehicles were allowed, plus twin-rotor helicopters.

Whatever happens, GBC will have its own contest.

18 minutes ago, Jim said:

Whatever happens, GBC will have its own contest.

Great, including train GBC as well ?

3 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I would like this very much. I'm a big fan of factory machines remade (stationary or moving), some of them just use 1 PF motor with some gearing to move so no need for expensive electronics, but it would be possible like robotics, warehouse systems, sorting machines (lego or candy, ..., size) mixing machines, household machines remade like mixers, washing machine, etcetc, so many possibilities but not much seen.

I would vote for such contest instantly.

I am here for "moderating" a GBC contest, but since my knowledge of that particular line is limited, I would need, as Jim put it, a captain :classic:

7 hours ago, Jim said:

I also like the first option better, but this should be no surprise to those of you know some of my builds. I'm claiming right now Set 6542. Can I claim something for a contest that hasn't started yet?

The second does not interest me, and maybe others. I am racking my brain already about what I would even consider for this kind of contest.

3 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

I also like the first option better, but this should be no surprise to those of you know some of my builds. I'm claiming right now Set 6542. Can I claim something for a contest that hasn't started yet?

The second does not interest me, and maybe others. I am racking my brain already about what I would even consider for this kind of contest.

As I understand it, contest entries should be made specifically for that contest, with building starting only after the contest is announced.

8 hours ago, Jim said:

Hmm, I was thinking more of things that walk or crawl, rather than no-vehicle. Technic strandbeest. Some convoluted technic art could be fun though.

2 hours ago, howitzer said:

As I understand it, contest entries should be made specifically for that contest, with building starting only after the contest is announced.

I was joking. Sorry that was not clear.