Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

How about a Christmas themed one where you have to design a vehicle for Santa to transport something of a defined size?

5 hours ago, Lasse D said:

That is a huge challenge given the low availability of magnet and coil parts. I really don't see the advantage of making them work as opposed to creating realistic models with backup towers, fences, and perhaps visiting mechanics.

I'm sure you could repurpose springs for coils, and at least in the 90's some (non-Technic) sets included magnets... Though I'm not sure their shapes would be that great for a transformer?

Jokes aside, vehicle transforming into a mech or whatever could be pretty challenging but also interesting topic for a contest.

I think we already agrred on some contest type (already forgot what it was), and @jim started to prepare contest rules.

On 11/6/2020 at 7:04 AM, Jurss said:

I think we already agrred on some contest type (already forgot what it was), and @jim started to prepare contest rules.

Bit of a bump, what was the agreed up contest type/theme?

We planned a GBC contest and we were in the process. Still like to do that, but I have a lot on my plate as it is.

I'm cool with doing a motorbike contest to keep you guys busy during the holidays, but I will need some help setting it up. And I won't have sponsored prizes, well maybe some small sets or a coffee mug or something.

Great news!

@steph77 has sent me a prelimary contest setup (Motorbikes). I won't be home tonight, so I will try to get it online Saturday or Sunday.

We will move the GBC contest to 2021, sorry about that.

39 minutes ago, Jim said:

Great news!

@steph77 has sent me a prelimary contest setup (Motorbikes). I won't be home tonight, so I will try to get it online Saturday or Sunday.

We will move the GBC contest to 2021, sorry about that.

Quad bike ,tracked bike, or trike is allowed?

Edited by msk6003

16 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

Quad bike ,tracked bike, or trike is allowed?

I'm sure you'll find out in Saturday or Sunday.

I would be better to have something with two wheels or similar, that tracks also is allowed, not on 3 or more connection points to ground, and no flying etc.

I just set my lego workspace up after ~3 years yesterday and a new contest is announced today? I guess I have no choice but start building :)

I don't know about everyone else but I feel that that was a nice competition. But I prefer something with four wheels or more. Speaking of four wheels any hope in the future that there will be an offroad truck comp?

On 2/16/2021 at 10:31 AM, CrazyKreations said:

I don't know about everyone else but I feel that that was a nice competition. But I prefer something with four wheels or more. Speaking of four wheels any hope in the future that there will be an offroad truck comp?

Well, I am thinking about something with four wheels. Something I have been pondering over for a while now. But I need to run it by @Milan and maybe some other members to check how we can proceed.

(this will not be an off-road truck competition, but we do something like that in the future)

We also had done some preparations for a GBC contest. We can continue with that, but I would like someone else (@Milan?) to take the lead in organizing it (creating the topics, arranging the prizes we had prepared etc)

Thanks @Jim really liked this one, looking forward to whatever you have got lined up for us next. Although if it’s a GBC one I’ll sit that out

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

Thanks @Jim really liked this one, looking forward to whatever you have got lined up for us next. Although if it’s a GBC one I’ll sit that out

To be honest; I am not sure whether GBC will generate enough interest, so I have started a topic to see who would join.

@Jim Since the most popular voting option is now 20 points and distribute all, is it the voting scheme that will be used in the next contest?

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

@Jim Since the most popular voting option is now 20 points and distribute all, is it the voting scheme that will be used in the next contest?

Since 20 points and old F1 style are neck and neck, it's not likely that we will change the voting scheme. At the end of the day, the top-3, or top-5, or top-10 will probably the same. 20 points tends to be more friendly for the lower ranked entries. I'm not opposed to trying it out one day, but I do need to alter the tally software for that.

6 hours ago, Jundis said:

s

It is worth to check all of that index topic.

Thanks @Jurss

I just checked for [TC1], [TC2], ... and didn't find anything :D

Given that information, my 2cents about new themes for contests: In the [TC18] and [TC19] contests, I really liked that there were definitive restrictions for the models (scale, theme), which imho is easier to compare them in a competitive way. I also really liked that new/updated Lego elements or sizes inspired a challend like the pneumatic elements 2.0 [TC10] pullback-motors [TC13] or the mini car series [TC18].

With the highly anticipated tractor tires (maybe new ones in 81.6 coming in summer wave?) a challenge for farming machinery would be nice :-)

How about contest for militery equipment? Like tank, APC.

Or we can get walker contest.

Edited by msk6003

8 minutes ago, Jundis said:

I just checked for [TC1], [TC2], ... and didn't find anything :D

As you can see there were 4 contests before we started using the [TC] tag, so we started at [TC5].