Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

309 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

6 hours ago, agrof said:

I have also a non-vehicle related idea. It would be similar, as the computer game: The Incredible Machine, bit something like GBCs.

Goal: build a machine to forward a certain Object (ball, small basic Technic assembly) from Point A to Point B. 

Coordinates of Point A: 5 studs high

Coordinates of Point B: 20 studs high; X=30 studs; Y=30 studs away from Point A

<snip>

This is an idea I could support too: A Rube-Goldberg-machine with some sort of size limitation and the contest would be about innovative use of parts to create movement. Not exactly a GBC, because they deserve a contest of their own, but something a bit easier.

10 hours ago, SNIPE said:

A contest of a mechanical box, with a max-size limitation of course. The more interesting building tequniques the better. The box is all about mechanisms and can be implemented to look/work like say a games console, a pc, a puzzle box, etc.

The mechanisms can go outside of the maximum box size as long as they are within it when retracted. These restraints are very much what real engineers face so it sounds like a good challenge.

Other lego theme parts are allowed as long as the model has mechanical aspects and all the parts are official lego except for buwizz and sbrick.

This is interesting too, I even have an idea already. Don't know about it's feasibility though.

Just now, howitzer said:

A Rube-Goldberg-machine with some sort of size limitation and the contest would be about innovative use of parts to create movement.

I have suggested this a number of times.  If people want a different type of build contest... this is it. 

I'd like to see something a bit more "normal" to be honest.

#17 Mad max for me was "outside the box" and actually too similar to #16 for my taste., I'd say let's do something "inside the box" this time. I get the attraction of rube goldberg type machine contests, but my dislike for those is that the models aren't much "interesting" outside the context of such a contest. The builds will be too niche.

Also, "assignment-based" contests ( like "transport such-and-so unit over this-or-that trajectory") are great for meetings, but not so much for internet contests.

If you're doing such type contest, GBC seems to be the better option so far. There's plenty of interest for those. (It would rule me out, but that's not the concern.)

A more generic contest, like B-models, or cars in a certain scale, or whatever, will result in interesting builds that have interest for people who don't care about the contest.

Also, if going for 42098-scale cars, please keep in mind those who don't own that set. I'd go for a scale, not for a fit for that set. I don't have that set, and I don't want to buy one just for a contest. (Edit: also, I find 1:12 to be a more interesting scale than 42098-scale, for reasons given earlier: more place for interesting functions and styling.)

I also agree with the idea of not requiring any specific pieces, given how the corona outbreak may have slowed down some bricklink or other piece-sales activities.

Watercraft seems to be a nice one. (As long as being floating is not a requirement.)

I'm still for "re-build the same model as an existing set, but in a different scale."

I was also a great fan of the techlug.fr contests, which were usually very specific. Like "build a garbage truck". Or "build a Le Mans car with max 1500 pieces and the same scale & functions as 42039". Being so specific, it's very interesting to compare all entries.

Edited by Erik Leppen

I think Erik had some good points, and since these contests would be different, and smaller/shorter, it would be interesting to try some contests that we wouldn't normally.

How about a contest for the self isolation coronavirus period?

given that we don’t know the length of this we could make it a mental gamble as to how big the creation could be. Ie: you could decide to make something huge and complex but the risk is you won’t have finished by the time of the end of the isolation period/zombie apocalypse. Whichever comes first.

maybe an open theme on it too?

Generally speaking, my ideal contest is one with a low threshold and enough restrictions to jump start creativity. To me, one of the best EB contests to date is the MINI contest back in 2014 where the 200 part limit generated high quality and high quantity entries from experienced and novice builders alike. I still have four entries of that contest in my personal collection.

That’s why I think a corvette scale car contest could achieve the same effect: compact enough not to deter less experienced builders by super cars standards with features that will take them many months to develop and tweak. Challenging enough for experienced builders to push the limits of the scale and maybe even show TLG what can be done. I expect that the theme is also open enough to generate a diverse range of vehicles in shape, looks and realism. One remark though: if a certain scale is the requirement, are we sure that correctly scaling a model is understood by all builders?

The GBC contest seems very niche. Personally, I admire the mechanisms of many GBC modules, but I’m less attracted to them as I am towards recognizable machines modeled on real life.

2 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Generally speaking, my ideal contest is one with a low threshold and enough restrictions to jump start creativity. To me, one of the best EB contests to date is the MINI contest back in 2014 where the 200 part limit generated high quality and high quantity entries from experienced and novice builders alike. I still have four entries of that contest in my personal collection.

That’s why I think a corvette scale car contest could achieve the same effect: compact enough not to deter less experienced builders by super cars standards with features that will take them many months to develop and tweak. Challenging enough for experienced builders to push the limits of the scale and maybe even show TLG what can be done. I expect that the theme is also open enough to generate a diverse range of vehicles in shape, looks and realism. One remark though: if a certain scale is the requirement, are we sure that correctly scaling a model is understood by all builders?

+ 1

I wouldn't stick to a certain scale, but can be anchor points: a certain wheel size, just like many mentioned before + 400 pcs limit.

I would nominate this one, with whatever fitting tire:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=56145#T=C

56145.png

Edited by agrof

I am now repeating an idea I posted almost three years ago in another topic. What about a universal set contest? The entry would have to be a universal set inventory and instructions for different models. Perhaps different classes; basic, pneumatic, PF, etc.

A good entry in a competion like this, would include only common parts. In other words, anyone with a decent modern Technic collection should be able to replicate the models (perhaps not in the exact colors, but still...).

On 3/17/2020 at 2:48 PM, vascolp said:

I am relatively new here, do you have a list of all the previous contests... so to avoid repeating too much...

Yup. The list is in the index.

Just now, kolbjha said:

I am now repeating an idea I posted almost three years ago in another topic. What about a universal set contest? The entry would have to be a universal set inventory and instructions for different models. Perhaps different classes; basic, pneumatic, PF, etc.

A good entry in a competion like this, would include only common parts. In other words, anyone with a decent modern Technic collection should be able to replicate the models (perhaps not in the exact colors, but still...).

I really like the idea, but that would boil down to an A and B model contest, possibly C. Maybe we could define the inventory beforehand, so each contestant needs to use the same parts.

2 hours ago, agrof said:

+ 1

I wouldn't stick to a certain scale, but can be anchor points: a certain wheel size, just like many mentioned before + 400 pcs limit.

I would nominate this one, with whatever fitting tire:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=56145#T=C

56145.png

That’s what I had in mind initially, without the part limit. The rim restriction is enough.

I'll add another voice in favor of small scale contests :classic:

Although the theme for the next contest seems to be quite clear, what do you generally think about a part restriction contest?
Something like "no gears" or "no wheels" would certainly yield interesting results.

12 hours ago, Jim said:

The rim restriction is enough.

Also count of the wheels should be limited, or we will get crazy vehicles with 100 small wheels or something.

12 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

Something like "no gears" or "no wheels" would certainly yield interesting results.

No beams/liftarms would be real challenge to join. :devil:

Small scale sounds good, but watercraft-themed contest sounds good (meaning out of comfort zone for me) too. ;) 

Edited by HorcikDesigns

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

Also count of the wheels should be limited, or we will get crazy vehicles with 100 small wheels or something.

Not sure if I agree hehe, but I get your point.

Okay, I think I've heard enough. I will work on the details but right now I am thinking of a 6 week small car competition. After that I'm open to a GBC competition,

For both competitions I won't be able to provide LEGO sets as prizes, but I will try to come up with alternative prizes.

Feel free to continue the discussion, but that's what I have in mind right now.

3 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

I would love to see such a thing. 
(I will have to try one moc like that :laugh:)

3 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Actually, I have been thinking about "no panels" :wink: 

12 minutes ago, Jim said:

Actually, I have been thinking about "no panels" :wink: 

But even some of the small models have panels.

looking forward to whatever you come up with

24 minutes ago, Seasider said:

But even some of the small models have panels.

looking forward to whatever you come up with

Yup. But there was a time when we didn't have any panels. My "no panels" idea was actually for a supercar, like the 8880.

17 minutes ago, Jim said:

Yup. But there was a time when we didn't have any panels. My "no panels" idea was actually for a supercar, like the 8880.

I have remember.... and studs everywhere. I'm in! :)

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I have been thinking about "no panels"

Do fenders count as panels? :D

5 hours ago, Jim said:

My "no panels" idea was actually for a supercar, like the 8880.

If Flex-Axle are allowed, I'm in ;)

A small car competition works for me. How about a poseable figure for a future competion ? Done to a certain scale of course and using only certain parts. So parts from current posable figures and bionicle would be banned.

H

What about walking vehicles instead of wheeled vehicles?

Imagine a world where wheel had not been invented... no... we have to use gears and stuff ....
Imagine a world where tires had not been invented... no... tires and rims...
Imagine a world where vehicles have legs instead of wheels...!

Maybe it requires some time but it definitly puts me out of my confort zone... !