Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

309 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

The contest has started. Sorry for the simple promo image. I didn't have Photoshop available. I will update it later.

7 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Im still rooting for a mini auto contest.

You can build a mini auto for the wastelands :wink: 

Any thoughts for a new contest?

What about going for smaller scale this time? Thinking about PullBack contest, or 400 pcs limitation. Less parts means more challenge, and also members with lower inventory could enjoy.

Edit: could be divided into PF and Manual categories too.

Edited by agrof

I was thinking about making a Pullback Duo like TLG does, but we already did a pullback contest. 

Just now, Zerobricks said:

Animals? Like actual walking or kinetic sculpture. 

While I love the idea, I don't think that will generate a lot of interest. Feels niche.

13 minutes ago, LegoTT said:

TRANSFORMER with PF

Sounds great, but complicated.

I have been thinking about making a transforming chassis. Could be a contest, transformers. Would be very difficult though. Maybe that could be a group project.

43 minutes ago, agrof said:

What about going for smaller scale this time?

:thumbup:

In the last contests, bigger builds mostly won. I'd love to see a contest with cars in the scale of 42093, many MOCs popped up lately :-)

*EDIT: But maybe wait till the fenders in black are released 2H2020

Edited by Jundis

A contest of a mechanical box, with a max-size limitation of course. The more interesting building tequniques the better. The box is all about mechanisms and can be implemented to look/work like say a games console, a pc, a puzzle box, etc.

The mechanisms can go outside of the maximum box size as long as they are within it when retracted. These restraints are very much what real engineers face so it sounds like a good challenge.

Other lego theme parts are allowed as long as the model has mechanical aspects and all the parts are official lego except for buwizz and sbrick.

Edited by SNIPE

Like @Jundis mentioned, I would like to see (and possibly participate in) a small car contest. The brief would basically be to build a car fitting the 42093/42098 scale. Can be a sportcar, compact, SUV, pickup, van, sedan, etc. Not sure if the requirement is that the cars should physically fit on the truck or be just based on a certain wheel size. Maybe the use of small arch panel part should be compulsory. This would boil down to a scaling challenge.

An other idea is a 42098/Mack scale truck contest. Creativity points for a cargo that has not been done before or which form a playset, think this:8872.jpg

Edited by Cumulonimbus
Fixed image

5 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

A contest of a mechanical box, with a max-size limitation of course. The more interesting building tequniques the better. The box is all about mechanisms and can be implemented to look/work like say a games console, a pc, a puzzle box, etc. The mechanisms can go outaide of the maximum box size as long as they are within it when retracted. These restrains are very much what real engineers face so it sounds like a good challenge. Other lego theme parts are allowed as long as the model has mechanical aspects and all the parts are official lego except for buwizz and sbrick.

I do like the non-vehicle approach. But this also feels like it wouldn't generate a lot of interest. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Just now, Cumulonimbus said:

Maybe it has been mentioned before, but I would like to see (and possibly participate in) a small car contest. The brief would basically be to build a car fitting the 42093/42098 scale. Can be a sportcar, compact, SUV, pickup, van, sedan, etc. Not sure if the requirement is that the cars should physically fit on the truck or be just based on a certain wheel size. Maybe the use of small arch panel part should be compulsory. This would boil down to a scaling challenge.

An other idea is a 42098/Mack scale truck contest. Creativity points for a cargo that has not been done before or which form a playset, think this:

Small scale car with certain wheel size will be easy to participate.

Just now, Jim said:

I do like the non-vehicle approach. But this also feels like it wouldn't generate a lot of interest. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Non-vehicle sounds cool, maybe it would help to make it more "useful" or recognisable? For example to recreate a powered tool: A powered drill with several gears, circular saw with angle an depth adjustment, a hand mixer with interchangeable an counter rotating beaters, ... anything with an interesting internal mechanism. This can give insight in how these machine actually work.

31 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

A contest of a mechanical box, with a max-size limitation of course. The more interesting building tequniques the better. The box is all about mechanisms and can be implemented to look/work like say a games console, a pc, a puzzle box, etc.

I like this idea, it would change from the "classics" Mocs (not that they are bad)

I’m up for a small scale car completion. Something the size of the Corvette or the new stunt team set. We could give a defined box for it to fit into - length, width and perhaps height. And then come up with a new car for the range.

if we do start can we start perhaps April ... I’m very busy sorting out what’s happening at work as you can hopefully appreciate

For a contest idea i would like small scale competition... But i never seen tanks or even a broader area ... military vehicles

8 minutes ago, Seasider said:

if we do start can we start perhaps April ... I’m very busy sorting out what’s happening at work as you can hopefully appreciate

We can start asap, but let's reserve ample time for everyone to compete.

How about small scale supercar competition, same scale as the Corvette, but with gearboxes, suspension, etc...

1 minute ago, Zerobricks said:

How about small scale supercar competition, same scale as the Corvette, but with gearboxes, suspension, etc...

Not sure about the "supercar" part, but small scale car is a likely candidate for next contest.

Supercar would mean "medium scale" at least, right?

Just now, Jim said:

Not sure about the "supercar" part, but small scale car is a likely candidate for next contest.

Supercar would mean "medium scale" at least, right?

I think you do it small scale with the use of new wave selectors, etc. Or we could have a 1:8 or 1:10  supercar contest, like making a replica of any real car?

Just now, Zerobricks said:

Or we could have a 1:8 or 1:10  supercar contest,

There would be much less participants in such a contest than in a contest with a smaller scale (42093 is like 1:16?).

1:8 and 1:10 scale are large

I’d propose an open “design a car” competition based on the length and width of the corvette. Non powered and to come up with original designs as often people will then vote on real world cars they like.

Just now, Jundis said:

There would be much less participants in such a contest than in a contest with a smaller scale

I think that too, small scale is more accesible, and might be more challenging.

Just now, Jundis said:

There would be much less participants in such a contest than in a contest with a smaller scale (42093 is like 1:16?).

I tend to favor smaller scale as well. Something that will fit the 42098 - Car Transporter.

Just now, Touc4nx said:

I think that too, small scale is more accesible, and might be more challenging.

And maybe I will join. Just for sh.ts and giggles.

Just now, Jim said:

Something that will fit the 42098 - Car Transporter.

I would just go for fitting it in term of size, not like the corvette that can be used on the top deck. 
It would allow more flexibility in the build.

Just now, Touc4nx said:

I would just go for fitting it in term of size, not like the corvette that can be used on the top deck. 

Doe you mean top deck only?

"Something with corvette wheels" will probably suffice.