Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

I really don't want either, despite them being not bad ideas. GBC tends too close to functionality, and animals too close to looks. Which brings me to my next proposal:

Build a kinetic sculpture.

It's a decent blend of functionality and looks IMO, and it ain't possible to have too many kinetic sculptures!

Time to have something other than super cars and have something that is in the spirt of Technic i.e. engineering, be that GBC or maybe replicate a early steam engine from bygone ages, such as a Crorther engine.

An Atmospheric Engine would be a real challenge

I will be away for four weeks from the 19th of April till the 18th of May and I am very busy at the moment. So having a big contest is probably not the best idea.

Can we come up with a simple contest or joined activity? The idea of doing something with GBC is still in my mind. Making a decent GBC is pretty complex, so instead of a contest we could do a theme month (or rather, six weeks). Venture into the world of GBC together?!

Just thinking out loud here.

itching to do some Technic building as I've been exploring System bricks too much with Speed Champions type builds.

Any plans for a summer contest @Jim ?

Well, yes. Of course. Always.

But I have been thinking about a "collaboration-ish" kinda project. But I still need to work that idea out. I does involve cars though. Long story short...

We (probably) all know the modular car concepts of Nathanael, Crowkillers and Sheepo (if I am not mistaken). I was thinking about making our very first "Eurobricks Modular Car Concept". Different elements need to be designed:

• Chassis
  • Front-Suspension
  • Rear-Suspension
  • Gearbox
  • Engine
  • Upholstry/Interior
  • Bodywork
  • Building Instructions (!)

When we complete the chassis and functional parts, we can do a contest to design the bodywork.

The goal is to build our first (as far as I know) complete Eurobricks Car. Instructions will be free and it needs to be branden "Eurobricks". This way we can promote EB a bit in the process.

Just spitting it out here. Was planning on making a dedicated topic. I know we had a collab build lately, but I am willing to manage and promote it.

Totally not sure whether it's feasible, but I love modular stuff :laugh:

We could obviously do another contest, but I would like to do something different this time.

I like this idea. As I understand - anybody can design any part, even all parts? So we will have also separate voting for each module? Who will be winner? Will there be winner in each category?

Just now, Jurss said:

I like this idea. As I understand - anybody can design any part, even all parts? So we will have also separate voting for each module? Who will be winner? Will there be winner in each category?

Well, I don't think it will be a contest per se. Maybe simply a collaboration project. We can do a contest for the bodywork, once we finished the rest of the car. I need to think how this can be realized, but you recently did a collab build. Maybe we can learn from that experience.

And with the car being modular, the idea is that a certain chassis can fit different kind of suspensions. So we could use the chassis to create a sports car, but also a 4x4. This is similar to what Nathanael has done.

In my opinion, we should first have a contest on the chassis itself.. Then vote which chassis is best. 
Then we make a new contest about axles, but this time, the axles need to fit the chassis we voted best. 
Then make the bodywork, ect.... 

It would truly be a eurobricks car designed by us. 

Another contest i won't be taking part in !! (If is car related)

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

Another contest i won't be taking part in !!

Jumping to conclusions. I haven't even decided :tongue:

10 hours ago, Jim said:

Well, yes. Of course. Always.

But I have been thinking about a "collaboration-ish" kinda project. But I still need to work that idea out. I does involve cars though. Long story short...

I really like this idea, can't wait for the contest!

I like the idea of a collab chassis, then give the instructions for it to everyone and have the contest be to add a body on it.  Similar to 41999. 

Like Doug, if the contest is car related, I will sit back and watch :)

2 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Does anyone remember this?

Yes, unfortunately it dropped through. I think a contest of this style would be too drawn-out to do for each individual component. 

13 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Then make the bodywork, ect.... 

And then, assign some total point for each part, and at the and count all points together and get the winner. There only could be problem, that winner could be know some 2 steps or so before, and part of users could loos interest in this contest ...

9 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Does anyone remember this?

That is what I was referring to. My focus would be a MODULAR car though. And it would NOT be a contest, but a joined project. 

Maybe it's better to start a new contest and see if we can do the modular project on the side.

4 hours ago, Jim said:

My focus would be a MODULAR car though

You mean something a bit like this?

https://www.sheepo.es/2014/12/modular-all-terrain-platform-jeep-willys.html?m=1

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Maybe it's better to start a new contest and see if we can do the modular project on the side.

I agree, though I don't really care which comes first, as they'd both be fun.

Edited by mocbuild101

Yup, more or less.

Here's the topic for Nathanaels version. More pics.

I agree, though I don't really care which comes first, as they'd both be fun.

Another thought for the contest. SCIFI contest. Build a spaceship, mech, robot, whatever remotely SciFi related.

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Another thought for the contest. SCIFI contest. Build a spaceship, mech, robot, whatever remotely SciFi related.

Another suggestion may be to turn this into the completely opposite direction:

Build a realistic and functionally accurate representation of any pre-1900 technical device. (may be clocks, steam trains, old machine tools, siege weaponry, etc). Consider setting part limits (e.g. minimum 1000 pieces) to stimulate interesting size and complexity.

I reckon this might be a welcome relief from the "just another vehicle" builds?