Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

5 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

I think people build MORE than enough cars as it is, the paiges are swarmed with them.

I love the fact that people build stuff out their comfortzone in contests, it makes for way more innovating and interesting (for me) builds to follow.

As a fan of non-vehicle moc's, I totally agree.

Regarding the part limit idea: it's possible, but then we should keep the number small. Not everyone builds their mocs digitally first, so it might become difficult to keep track of the number of pieces used. 150 should still be possible I think.

1 hour ago, m00se said:

Not everyone builds their mocs digitally first, so it might become difficult to keep track of the number of pieces used.

nah, everyone is responsible for their own part count and only the winners will have to proof that they actually used X-amount or less.

4 minutes ago, shadow_elenter said:

nah, everyone is responsible for their own part count and only the winners will have to proof that they actually used X-amount or less.

But how would you prove it? Making a video where you dismantle your model? Of course it would be obvious if you used way to many parts, but proving that you didn't just go over the limit a bit is actually not that simple I guess.

1 hour ago, m00se said:

But how would you prove it?

How the winner proves it is up to them, they can make a 3d model, disassemble on video or with pictures.
for a 150pt model this should not be to much work or to hard in exchange for a prize(if available). 

We ha limited part contests before, there was no real problem about prooving it. But maybe it was back in the good ol days when everyone was honest and decent :drunk:

Contest idea: Build a telehandler. Possible entries include telescopic forklift, telescopic loader, telescopic cherry picker, telescopic grappler. Maybe reach stacker. I'm not sure if reach stacker counts as a telehandler though.

How about building 42100 but you have to use at least forty thousand parts, seven controllers, no more than two motors and you get to 3D-print your own stickers?

11 hours ago, suffocation said:

How about building 42100 but you have to use at least forty thousand parts, seven controllers, no more than two motors and you get to 3D-print your own stickers?

Hehe, I can print flexible plastic with my 3D printer... :laugh:

I still think we need a small car competition. It has been quite a while and a car a little larger than Corvette-set size would be fun to build!

9 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

It has been quite a while and a car a little larger than Corvette-set size would be fun to build!

No, I think the Corvette scale would be perfect for a small car competition. Most of us disliked the Corvette, but only because it is not similar enough. However I see the potential in this 15 studs wide format. Small enough to develop fast, and large enough to have several working features. The new small mudguard piece is very useful too. But we have to wait with such a contest until the release of the car transporter, to allow more color options. Because now half of the entries would be orange, while other half use flex hoses as mudguard.

The actual topic is less interesting to me, but I would really like to see a contest with some sort of size constraints again. Whether it would be a box of AxBxC studs, or a parts max doesn't really matter to me either. But the challenge of making something work in the smallest possible way is always intriguing me.

1 minute ago, Rudivdk said:

The actual topic is less interesting to me, but I would really like to see a contest with some sort of size constraints again. 

I am more in favor of something like this, than a dedicated subject (car or motorbike). We just had a dedicated subject (more or less), so it's probably time to get creative....in a limited way.

Honey, I shrunk the sets contest: Build a smaller version of a model that exceed a predetermined size.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

26 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Honey, I shrunk the sets contest: Build a smaller version of a model that exceed a predetermined size.

I had a similar idea for this shrink-a-set type contest. Build a smaller version of any set with less, than half bricks count. While keeping the look and functionalities of the original set as much, as possible. You can use any bricks, not only the ones in the set, but the final brick count has to be less than half of the original set.

Find a contest that we like everyone is impossible, each of us will participate in the one that attracts us the most, for example I enjoy watching the TC15 but never thought of participating. It would be nice to have to build a Technic game to play with for 2 or more people, I am crazy writting this because I have no idea at all what to build but sure I would enjoy with some of the winners.
Edited by jorgeopesi

2 hours ago, Jim said:

so it's probably time to get creative....in a limited way.

How about a some form of a transformer? Build model A (in a pre-set stud dimensions), which can transform into model B (something totally different with no dimensions restriction here). The models can be what ever the designer want them to be (no theme restriction there). The only restriction I can think of right now is that the model(s) needs to be "one piece", sort of speak. You can not add additional or remove existing parts to and from it. All the parts need to connected, they can only be manipulated as long as they stay connected to the model in at least one point.

Edited by pagicence
typo

We've had Transforming models already withe M.A.S.K. series.

I'm up for a small build competition, I do like the idea of the small car to go on the forthcoming Transporter but as someone has pointed out that's worth waiting for more wheelarch colours to be available.

I'd still like a "great egg race" type challenge where the challenge is to solve an engineering problem more than build a <insert vehicle type>

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

I'd still like a "great egg race" type challenge where the challenge is to solve an engineering problem more than build a <insert vehicle type>

Non-vehicle contest, which I had planned as the first contest....like 14 contests ago.

5 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

[...] But the challenge of making something work in the smallest possible way is always intriguing me.

Seconded.

6 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

The actual topic is less interesting to me, but I would really like to see a contest with some sort of size constraints again.

+1

I have some small ideas ?