Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

3 hours ago, Jim said:

I'm not sure I'm following that comment eitherĀ :tongue:

Watch it Jim, they are playing mind tricks to get some info before the reveal. :laugh:

With all the crazy contests in the past, I don't want to start building a flying kite and the contest is for a flying bicycle ?

10 hours ago, aminnich said:

With all the crazy contests in the past, I don't want to start building a flying kite and the contest is for a flying bicycle ?

Precisely my problem too. Iā€™ve got a load of aircraft types Iā€™d like to build and I donā€™t want to go building down the wrong route!

Hoping this starts soon as Iā€™ve got a few days holiday to use up this year.

"The desire to fly is an idea handed down to us by our ancestors who...looked enviously on the birds soaring freely through space...on the infinite highway of the air."

Good luck!

Ā 

Ā 

26 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Contest idea: build a car around the small Corvette wheel arches.

Or just build a corvette-sized car, for those who dare not spend $70 on a copy so they have enough orange.

6 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Or just build a corvette-sized car, for those who dare not spend $70 on a copy so they have enough orange.

I like this idea!

The arches may be fixed in orange but that doesnt mean the whole model has to be in orange. I want to see how people can come up with a car in one color while the wheel arches are in a different color (orange).

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The arches may be fixed in orange but that doesnt mean the whole model has to be in orange. I want to see how people can come up with a car in one color while the wheel arches are in a different color (orange).

But it'd be even better if we could just make one in the scale, without needing to buy a set.

In fact "flying" contest is still not ended (seems also not very popular - cars rulez :) )

But then, as @letsbuildĀ suggest, maybe lets make contest for building car on rims of diameter 30-30.4, limiting to 4 rims

Ā 

11 hours ago, Jurss said:

In fact "flying" contest is still not ended (seems also not very popular - cars rulez :) )

But then, as @letsbuildĀ suggest, maybe lets make contest for building car on rims of diameter 30-30.4, limiting to 4 rims

Ā 

This would be ideal

Personally, I'd prefer the next contest to be just "Build a Car" - no rules or limits besides the standard ones. IMO it would make for a lot more entries.

Now that theĀ Car Transporter offer the small wheel arches in two more color, I'm so looking forward to a car contest.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Except, in this case,Ā we can arrange that kind of contest only after that set is on shelfs

Or how about, with a limit of around 180 parts each, you have to build two completely different pull back vehicles of different colours and a third combined vehicle using the same parts.

Edited by allanp

3 hours ago, allanp said:

Or how about, with a limit of around 180 parts each, you have to build two completely different pull back vehicles of different colours and a third combined vehicle using the same parts.

I like this idea. In terms of the wheel arches I do not see myself ever obtaining them, and I am sure there are others who won't get them either.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

3 hours ago, allanp said:

Been thinking about this one as well.

Do we like this idea?! (we recently had a pullback contest)

17 minutes ago, Jim said:

Been thinking about this one as well.

Do we like this idea?! (we recently had a pullback contest)

I like the idea, but I would drop the mandatory pullback. Just two small models and a third that combines the parts. In other words: a 1+1=3 contest with limited parts.

Edited by Didumos69

4 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

I like the idea, but I would drop the mandatory pullback. Just two small models and a third that combines the parts. In other words: a 1+1=3 contest with limited parts.

Yes and no. I get what you are aiming for, but part of the idea of to counter TLG's current strategy of bringing lame pullback models.Ā 

We could also limit the contest to 120 parts for each model, to show what can be done with a limited number of parts.

Simply thinking out loud here.

Just now, Jim said:

Yes and no. I get what you are aiming for, but part of the idea of to counter TLG's current strategy of bringing lame pullback models.Ā 

We could also limit the contest to 120 parts for each model, to show what can be done with a limited number of parts.

Simply thinking out loud here.

Okay, but like you said, we have had a pullback contest last year and one way of dealing with that is to generalize away from the pullback a little. But personally I wouldn't have a problem with another pullback-oriented contest.

IĀ think people build MOREĀ than enough cars as it is, the paiges are swarmed with them.

I love the fact that people build stuff out theirĀ comfortzone in contests, it makes forĀ way more innovating and interesting (for me) builds to follow.

The limited parts idea could beĀ fun but why limit it to cars?

How about we just make it a "build something epic with X-amount of parts" contest?

If people reallyĀ want to buildĀ a car they can,Ā  and others don't get limited in their creativity.Ā 

This should be a drastically shorter contest though.

We don't need more than a month to build say a 150 part MOC.

And 150pt MOC's won't create very interesting build topics I fear...

Ā