Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

22 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Awesome idea! And maybe limit it to 1000 or such pieces so people with smaller collections can also join!

It does help people who don't have a big collection, but how do you count pieces if you don't make a digital model?

I'm absolutely support a non-car contest. As mentioned before by others there are more than enough car MOCs on the forum. An original contest (like the last one for example) really helps to get people out of there comfort zone and start building something totally different than what they're used to. Personally I even think LEGO should release more non-vehicle sets for Technic, but that's another discussion.

19 hours ago, steph77 said:

+1 also for Something flying :)

19 hours ago, letsbuild said:

How about modelling a car that isn't normally modelled in technic (eg: Nissan 240sx, GMC Safari, BMW 320i)

Hmm... So a member with a helicopter in their profile picture wants an aircraft competition, and one with a car in their picture wants a car competition... :grin:

Somewhat expanding on the Aircraft suggestions, an idea I had recently is "Machine you'd find at an airport". So if you want to build a plane you can, but if you want to build a road vehicle you could do a terminal-transfer bus, or a baggage cart (either the small push-ones that you use directly, or the larger trolleys that the handlers use to get the bags out to the planes). Or you could do a less conventional vehicle, like the tow cars that they use for push-back, or something with a raising platform to load catering supplies. Or you could do a non-vehicle thing, like a baggage carousel, or an extending airbridge (I've often thought that the new small turntable would serve as a great mount for the wheels).

(Idea): Build together contest:

Main idea:

Three members each team. The three members decide on a subject, and make one whole model each ( Similar to The Triple Contest). The members can work through PM or Topic to make one cohesive idea of models. Mandatory topic within 2 weeks of the entry by date.

Rules:

The ideas must work together in a logical fashion, (EX: NOT A: Wheelbarrow, Plane, and Bicycle)

Example of a Correct Entrant:

A Plane, Baggage Loader, And Fuel truck. (All cohesive)

Standard written rules.

Etc:

Optional: Build your entries together on LDD:

Your official entry must be constructed in real bricks, but you are allowed to include the picture of them together.

Here's another idea: How about a Cyberslam/Competition contest? The goal would be to build a vehicle/machine designed for the Cyberslam style of play, with a weapon, either short or long range, and some kind of target to hit on the vehicle to damage it, or some kind of target that would be a challenge to hit. 8257 would be an example of the first type, a vehicle with a punching arm, and a target that ejects the cockpit. This would be a rather interesting contest, especially if someone figured out how to do RC in this context.

@Saberwing40k  Isn’t that a bit like the Battlebots / Robot Wars competition we had?

@Captainowie the only problem with that it’s a very open topic and so you could end up with wildly different models and so difficult to compare

@Aventador2004 sounds interesting but how do you team people up ? And would you end up with “superteams” 

2 hours ago, letsbuild said:

I quite like @Aventador2004's suggestion.

I don't, and I expect that there won't be many finished entries. How's @letsbuild's [LB-X18] build-together project going since the topic was unstickied?

The problem with collaborative entries is that people are dependent of other people they have no control over. I'd understand and be fine with having an entry going and not being able to enter because I have no time because life gets in the way. I'd be much less amused with having an entry going and not being able to enter because someone else has no time because life gets in the way. Why? Because I can't see that other person's life, and I very likely do not know this person, so all I see from him is his appearance here on the forums. So I can never form a complete image, and if life gets in the way, I can only know through forum text. And if life really gets in the other person's way, the other person likely and understandably won't have the mental energy to inform his random internet Lego competition collaboration partners. The last thing such a person needs is EB teammates complaining because he just left without notice when someone dear needed his immediate attention.

Arguments are bound to occur when someone with lots of time is teamed up with someone with little time.

When I make an entry for a contest, I don't want to be dependent of someone else. I do this hobby to escape from the real world and have time alone. Not to have to collaborate with random strangers on the internet. So if a competition enforces working in teams, I wouldn't join.

@Captainowie's idea of airport vehicles is an idea I really like. Mostly because airport vehicles in general are a rare sight here on the forums. I can remember a nice 42043-C-model catering truck and some airport firetrucks, but actually not much else. I actually fully support this theme for a competition :)

Totally agree with @Erik Leppen, that type of contest would end up with very few entries.

I still think an aircraft/airport vehicles contest would be perfect, as it would have plenty of room for diversity, while still maintaining a strong theme.

We are preparing the next contest and it will be a straightforward one. No team builds or complicated stuff.

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Straightforward contest: Build a straightforward model.

a car with no steering :)

And no, it won't be a drag racer contest :tongue: :laugh:

Any updates on this? I am on break and have been trying to think of something to build, figured I'd check on contest progress before starting anything.  

im just looking for a build idea... ive been trying to think of something most of the day, so im hoping the contest is announced soon and I can get working ASAP

Maybe...just maybe....you can start thinking about building an Aircraft of some sorts :wink: 

No further comments, so don’t try.

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Maybe...just maybe....you can start thinking about building an Aircraft of some sorts :wink: 

No further comments, so don’t try.

I am sure it will be 1000 times better than BrickLink:thumbup:

I'm not sure I'm following that comment either :tongue:

Perhaps they mean the BrickLink afol moc competition thingy.

looking forward to an aviation themed competition, I can come up with a whole host of flying machines !