Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

309 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

2 minutes ago, Lipko said:

In my opinion the most interesting contests (big entry count and also some wonderful-by-itself models) were the ones with the more generic topics. The pneumatic contest, the SBrick contest (probably my favorite so far), the C model contest, the first contest with the water theme, etc. These unusual and specific topics were not as exciting for me as a spectator. So in my opinion, it's time for a generic contest again.

That was exactly why I was aiming for a more generic theme. 

Just now, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

How about a technic aircraft contest? 

For example :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

How about a technic aircraft contest? Not the flashiest idea, but it's generic, and there aren't very many technic aircraft. It also doesn't take a pro builder to make one. There could even be an airplane or helicopter categories to give less experienced builders some breathing room! 

Awesome idea! And maybe limit it to 1000 or such pieces so people with smaller collections can also join!

Just now, Zerobricks said:

Awesome idea! And maybe limit it to 1000 or such pieces so people with smaller collections can also join!

Yes! That would be perfect as it doesn't take many parts to build a solid aircraft :classic:

6 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

That would be perfect as it doesn't take many parts to build a solid aircraft :classic:

I agree, you only need to look at 42044 to see how few parts are needed...

BTW, I think your signature needs an update... :wink:

Edited by mocbuild101

I like the aircraft Idea too. I think there would not need to be too many restrictions on this topic either?

I think the last thing we need is a car (super or rally) contest... 

People don't need any motivation to build cars, the forum is swarmed with car MOC's as it is:laugh:.

The aircraft (or rather flying vehicle) idea is nice! It has a good potential for interesting mechanics we don't see to often.

I had this idea...

Why not make all prizes raffle prizes and giving the winners (of their class) a medal and an enhanced chance of winning a raffle prize?

Say Jim puts the names of all contestants in a bowl and the winners of there classes get there names put in there multiple times and then he puls out 3 names at random.

- all contestants get there name put in once

-3e place(in there class) gets his/her name put in 2 times 

-2e place(in there class)  gets his/her name put in 3 times 

-1e place(in there class)  gets his/her name put in 4 times 

That way the focus of the contest is a little less on winning a prize, and more on earning the community's recognition (and bragging rights:tongue:).

A builders advantages in parts or in skill make less of an impact so we could do with less restrictions and we don't need more prizes if we have more classes to accommodate different builder levels.

Just thinking out loud...

How about modelling a car that isn't normally modelled in technic (eg: Nissan 240sx, GMC Safari, BMW 320i)

+1 for something flying

I have a pre-study already ;-)

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I’m up for a flying machine competition.

There was the non-competition JFair  years ago on here and I really enjoyed that ... but then I’m an aeronautical engineer by degree qualification ... I do slightly slower vehicles by career

I'm a bit confused though. What do we mean with flying machine competition? Build a model which resembles an aircraft, or build something that can actually fly?

Just now, Didumos69 said:

I'm a bit confused though. What do we mean with flying machine competition? Build a model which resembles an aircraft, or build something that can actually fly?

Something that resembles a flying machine (airplane, helicopter, etc ... whatever the mods decide is the theme/rules) ... we’ve all seen many videos that pure Lego doesn’t fly and we don’t need to get into that discussion again! :)

12 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Something that resembles a flying machine (airplane, helicopter, etc ... whatever the mods decide is the theme/rules) ... we’ve all seen many videos that pure Lego doesn’t fly and we don’t need to get into that discussion again! :)

? Okay, I fully agree. And in that case I think 'aircraft competition' is a better term than 'flying machine competition'.

Edited by Didumos69

Some time ago a "mechanical animal competition" was discussed. Is there a chance that it will be revived? This would require a lot more mechanical creativity from the builders, because you can't just copy the real thing, as is possible with a car / plane.

Just now, Lucullus said:

Some time ago a "mechanical animal competition" was discussed. Is there a chance that it will be revived? This would require a lot more mechanical creativity from the builders, because you can't just copy the real thing, as is possible with a car / plane.

That could be a good competition too and link the the Lego Forma product !

2 hours ago, letsbuild said:

How about modelling a car that isn't normally modelled in technic (eg: Nissan 240sx, GMC Safari, BMW 320i)

That's way too subjective. And I think the car competition is out of the picture anyway.

If the majority likes flying machines, in the broadest sense of the word, I am definitely not against it.

36 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The name can be Wacky Wings

:laugh:

4 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

I had this idea...

Just thinking out loud...

Something like that isn't a bad idea. I have been thinking about different setups and I will take your suggestion into consideration! 

Don’t like the “wacky wings” title but we could have a model with a specific goal eg an aircraft that can transport an egg as cargo

something to give some common design function rather than the extremely generic open topic

9 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

Why not make all prizes raffle prizes and giving the winners (of their class) a medal and an enhanced chance of winning a raffle prize?

• all contestants get there name put in once
  • 3e place(in there class) gets his/her name put in 2 times 
  • 2e place(in there class)  gets his/her name put in 3 times 
  • 1e place(in there class)  gets his/her name put in 4 times 

I really like this idea. That way, the prizes are mostly a reward for joining, and for finishing an entry (which is an achievement by itself, so it makes sense to reward that). Also, there's much more chance of prizes going to people with smaller collections who can use them really well.

I also like the idea for a flying-vehicle-based theme by the way.

Edited by Erik Leppen