Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

Just now, Doug72 said:

Does that include bumper cars ?

Bumper cars allowed, only when they operate in the ride. So, no separate single bumper car. It needs to be a complete ride.

What do you guys think about SBricks, PFx brick and Buwizz? Allowed or not? 

Allow, it's only a power source and not structural,... btw power sources are never Lego, it's either Duracell or Varta or....

Just now, Permo said:

Allow, it's only a power source and not structural,... btw power sources are never Lego, it's either Duracell or Varta or....

Well, an SBrick (or Buwizz) allows for more options (programming the ride). On the other hand, so does Mindstorms. And PFx brick would allow cool sound effects. I was afraid that people with some of these units have an advantage. But this contest is about cool rides, so it would be a waste to exclude them.

Don't worry, the playing field will never be equal as it comes to parts and pieces, some people have millions of parts and are doing this for 20+ years and some people are fairly new to this and only have a limmited collection of pieces.... And some people have the older stuff that cannot be bought today like the micro motor and stuff like that....

Does it have to be an existing ride or can one invent something completely new ?

3 hours ago, Jim said:

"Build a theme park ride"

Sounds like a lot of fun! We don't get much of those kinds of MOCs here (and I wonder who's gonna attempt the roller coaster...).

5 minutes ago, Permo said:

Don't worry, the playing field will never be equal as it comes to parts and pieces, some people have millions of parts and are doing this for 20+ years and some people are fairly new to this and only have a limmited collection of pieces.... And some people have the older stuff that cannot be bought today like the micro motor and stuff like that....

True! I was thinking the exact same thing.

5 minutes ago, Permo said:

Does it have to be an existing ride or can one invent something completely new ?

Go nuts! :wink:

I have published the information topic. Maybe there's info missing, but let's go from there.

I’d allow the other controllers, I only have the standard Lego stuff.

as to bumper cars / dodgem that reminds me I still need to rebuild and finish the one I originally started with the Wacky Races comp

im thinking classic fairground ride myself and Technic fig scale

Ummmm, not sure about allowing sbrick and similar 3rd party options due to their advantages over official Lego options such as increased power and blue tooth.

Just now, allanp said:

Ummmm, not sure about allowing sbrick and similar 3rd party options due to their advantages over official Lego options such as increased power and blue tooth.

That was my initial thought as well, but let's go nuts with this contest and see all the possible cool creations. As @Permo stated, there will always be unfair advantages.

51 minutes ago, Jim said:

What do you guys think about SBricks, PFx brick and Buwizz? Allowed or not? 

I'm against. NOt everybody own ones. How owns will have an advantage, imho.

3 minutes ago, Aleh said:

I'm against. NOt everybody own ones. How owns will have an advantage, imho.

See my previous comment. 

And having an Sbrick doesn't mean you can make a cool ride. You can accomplish the same with PF or by manually operating the functions.

Just now, Jim said:

See my previous comment. 

And having an Sbrick doesn't mean you can make a cool ride. You can accomplish the same with PF or by manually operating the functions.

Ok, no problem with this. Also I wonder about starting discussion topic for the TC14 contets. I do not understand clearly this rule: before deadline I must create a topic with WIP photos? But how to prevent my idea of to be stolen? Actually I care about the idea showing the final result only to make some kind of "surprise", he-he :classic: 

On the one hand, yes the surprise thing...

But on the other hand I notice when a competition gets started from there it's silence only untill the great reveal, and it is actually kinda boring time.

I can imagine the fun seeing all these things being build, and there will be a lot more fun stuff going on on the forum during the competition, more interaction and can also be inspiring and motivating to see what others are doing...

I kinda like that idea.

I,ll use my Lego control centre, same as I used for the crane contest, has two programs plus 3 outputs which should be enough for what I plan.

Edited by Doug72

19 minutes ago, Aleh said:

But how to prevent my idea of to be stolen? 

You can't prevent it. You can wait till the last week, or so, with creating the WIP topic. But this contest is also about fun and seeing other people's progress.

10 minutes ago, Permo said:

I can imagine the fun seeing all these things being build, and there will be a lot more fun stuff going on on the forum during the competition, more interaction and can also be inspiring and motivating to see what others are doing...

Exactly. It's more fun to see people building. We run contests to get a more active forum, not to have everybody show their MOCs at the end of the contest and that's it. Where's the fun in that.

2 hours ago, Jim said:

You can't prevent it. You can wait till the last week, or so, with creating the WIP topic. But this contest is also about fun and seeing other people's progress.

Exactly. It's more fun to see people building. We run contests to get a more active forum, not to have everybody show their MOCs at the end of the contest and that's it. Where's the fun in that.

Can not disagree :thumbup:

@Jim, ok, wow!  Not what I was expecting, but sure right up my alley.  Thank you for embracing a sub-theme that has been un-mined by TLG in my mind.  The roller coaster would not have rolled if it wasn’t for Technic.  Now we can see what these brilliant EB members can do with an amusement ride. Are you positive it can’t be on a trailer? :grin::laugh: 

Now that the contest has been published. Let's use the information topic for further discussion. Thanks.

Quite a interesting idea in my opinion:

The entrants in numerical order of the top 20 spots get a amount of votes:

1:20, 2: 20, 3: 18, 4: 18, In that pattern to #20.

It will allow the smaller builds to get some sort of advantage over the large ones.

Maybe this could be a future contest twist.

18 minutes ago, aminnich said:

sounds like someone is trying to get more votes just because they build small :wink:

No, it had been complained before in this topic, bigger seems to get more votes. So you try to build Small for points. 

Anything else you implied? :wink: Cause you are wrong if so.

Well, smaller isn’t always best, neither is bigger, compact is always good though.