Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

309 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

4 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

Please.. no vehicles this time! I will join anyway but id like to see something else for once!

We might have found a theme that will fit the needs and still be interesting enough for most of you to participate :classic:

1 minute ago, Jim said:

We might have found a theme that will fit the needs and still be interesting enough for most of you to participate :classic:

Are you thinking within the next few days or within the next month to start up the contest?

Just now, aminnich said:

Are you thinking within the next few days or within the next month to start up the contest?

We need to do some preparations etc, so I'm not thinking the next couple of days (let's say in two weeks or so). And we can take our time with this one. Since it will run during the summer and all.

3 hours ago, Jim said:

We need to do some preparations etc, so I'm not thinking the next couple of days (let's say in two weeks or so). And we can take our time with this one. Since it will run during the summer and all.

I know some hate vehicles, but they appeal to most, more contestants, and more ideas.

@Marxpek, I dissagree, even as something as new vehicles. They are a easily available subject.

Also, a future contest idea:

Future Vehicle Contest

• Build something that could be seen in say 22 century

Examples:

• A Rover that collects material
  • A carrier for ships
  • A massive satellite station.

Rules:

• Build something that looks 22nd century.
  • No size limit
  • PF and Sbrick / Buwizz allowed.
  • No 3rd party electronics
  • Leds allowed.
  • Specifics...

Just an idea.

Edited by Aventador2004

@Aventador2004 it's not that i hate vehicles, the opposite even, I also only build vehicles and never made a non vehicle MOC myself, they are just rare all over i think.

And that is just that i would like to see from our talented builders around here: do something different from what they usually do, get out of the comfort zone and build something new.

For me personally: i try to enter every competition, even if i do not like the subject (i was not really fond of the pullback contest) but i am happy with my own MOC's and had a lot fun with any competition i entered! No matter the subject, i will have fun building something i would else never have thought about but now have, because of the contest, pure inspiration for me. (i also work well under a deadline, that way i can tell my wife "honey, can you do the kids tonight, i really have to finish this :wink:)

well.. if i am late for the next contest.. you know what happened..

I've got 2 ideas for contests.

1: An ultimately playable contest - Start with either a midsize or smaller set, like the Rally Car, and improve it without changing it too much. Like the Porsche and Bugatti mods and improvements threads. Could also start by building a basic 4 or 5 function sub 1000 piece vehicle. That way you don't end up with 5 versions of 8081 with many of @Thirdwigg's mods. The exterior shouldn't change too much, we don't want a pimp-my-ride. I would say a color change would be okay. Someone may want to build both models and display them side by side.

2: A contest with a point limit. Build whatever you want within the point limit. Pieces could be assigned a value based on weight, volume, or price. A basic set of 300 - 400 technic pieces with value would be posted at the start. Once assigned a value, it doesnt change, but moderators could add pieces as they see fit. Since pieces change weight and value based on color, I would not make separate point values by color (a red #3 connector should have the same value as a black #3).I would set the max point value so that most entries would be in the 400 - 600 piece range.

The problem with #2, is first that I have difficulty understanding it, and second, if my understanding is correct, it requires all participants to keep a part list of their whole model and count the points. I think this would leave many people spend more time counting than building. I think this detracts heavily from the fun of building.

This is basically a part cont limiter, but made more complex becuase instead of every part counting as 1, it counts as their "point value". (so it's a weighted part count, so to say). I believe there have been early contests with part counts, (but correct me if I'm wrong), but they can't be checked and are difficult for participants. Better just have a size limit (which more recent contests have done.)

The problem with #1 is that you'll have to define what coutns as "too much" of a change; something which is nigh impossible to define well. I like the idea of a modding contest, but it will be hard to draw the line between what counts as modding and what counts as a complete MOC redesign inspired by a set.

I think @Erik Leppen is driving home a very valid point. The idea of a contest is very appealing if the rules and goals are clearly defined.  It makes participating and judging much more enjoyable. 

2 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

The idea of a contest is very appealing if the rules and goals are clearly defined.

Yeah, I agree - a "grey area" should only be a spot on a MOC where you've used too much grey... :tongue: (google it if you don't get the joke)

The problem with too many rules is it tends to stifle creativity, but then again, it sets an even playing field to allow true competition.

People are concerned that a part count limit would make us all have to worry about keeping track of the number of elements we use and that would over complicate the build process, or make us have to fib when asked how many parts did we use. And to be honest, I couldn’t tell you how many pieces are in my last MOC, I estimated based on weight and the average piece count per Kg of all the last 20 flagship sets, throwing out the high and low outliers. 

I think we need to have limits on a building contest just to make it fair to those whose collection is either in its infancy or limited by means.  Not everyone has as enxtensive a collection to draw from as some of us do.  Which is why we must have rules on the types and number of PF or pneumatics elements that can be used, total,piece count, or some other methods, such as limiting your available parts to a strict list of certain sets, or like a C model competition or a combination of set A and set B etc...

Theme is important for a contest, especially if it takes us out of comfort zones. I wouldn’t want to compete with some of the supercar builders in a supercar building competition, but if we all had to come up with a non vehicle model, that would really push a lot of people out of their comfort zone, mine included.

Goals are also important.  Meeting the spirit of the theme but failing to include the required functionality of the rules should not be rewarded during judging, no matter how cool or crazy an idea is. You must satisfy the goals established by the rules, else risk disqualification. That is just the way it is.

So within all these limitations, one might ask why even compete?  

Well, who doesn’t like getting a nice prize for all their hard work? :grin:

Edited by Bublehead
Typo

What about a contest where Jim picks an industry, and we must pick a machine from that industry, like the crane contest? It could be any industry, like mining, because the mining industry is diverse, and includes many vehicles and machines.

Another idea I've had is to have a more technical kind of challenge, where the vehicle must perform a set number of functions, such as climb over an obstacle 7 bricks high, or carry some kind of defined container and be able to off load it without manual intervention. One such implementation is a vehicle that can drive and steer, and fire a projectile.

Yet another idea, which is going to be at least mildly controversial, is to have an all military contest. This probably could only ever work with an SBrick sponsored contest, for obvious reasons.

I do not support rules based on part count. Unless everyone has LDD files, or something similar, it's just too much of a pain in the butt to be worthwhile.

2 hours ago, Bublehead said:

So within all these limitations, one might ask why even compete?  

Because competition adds a game element to our hobby. And many people like their open play to be complemented with closed play (i.e. games). :classic:

Edit: while it's awesome to get rewarded, we're not all in it for the prizes. I know there have been topics about doing a compo without prizes once. It's the competing itself that adds the fun - all working to the same goal in much different ways is cool. Also, it'sa cool way to learn new things.

Edit: yes I know the question was rhetoric, but I wanted to answer it anyway :)

Edited by Erik Leppen

@deehtha We should do a MOD 8081 contest. It might only be me and @rm8 who participate, but we would have some fun. :classic:

I like having more constraints for contests, but counting parts is hard. That's why I like the size constrictions a little more. I very much in enjoyed the 10,000 cubic studs of TC9. 

@Erik Leppen, yes, it was rhetorical, however, I was glad you commented.  Let me ask a few general follow up questions to everyone.

1. Would the value of the prizes offered make you more likely or less likely to compete in a competition with a complex set of rules?

2. What kind of prize would make you consider entering such a contest?

3. If a contest had some form of entrants fee in the form of purchasing a specific set or part in order to compete, how likely are you to spend money in order to compete? Think having to buy a Buwizz or SBrick in order to have a chance at a Chiron like the last competition.

4. And finally, would you like to see older retired sets as prizes or would you rather have a chance at winning the newest sets available?  Would you rather have a misb 42030 or a 41999 or would you be more interested in a Rough Terrain Crane or a Chiron?

12 hours ago, Bublehead said:

1. Would the value of the prizes offered make you more likely or less likely to compete in a competition with a complex set of rules?

The answer to this has come up in the past, in a way.  There are several members who have expressed the willingness to participate in a contest that has no prizes.  You can include me in that group, as long as the goals are clearly defined.  I think prizes are a bonus for many people, it's the competition that's the real payoff.

21 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I know there have been topics about doing a compo without prizes once.

Like the recent AMS-2, which @letsbuild still hasn't finished yet.

1 hour ago, BusterHaus said:

I think prizes are a bonus for many people, it's the competition that's the real payoff.

...and the MOCs that are built.

15 hours ago, Bublehead said:

1. Would the value of the prizes offered make you more likely 

for a Lego set as a prize, I doubt this would be anyone's consideration.

I think with the amount of time people spend on their entries it would be better to just go get a casual job for x amount of hours to then buy the wanted set :laugh:

Thanks for the Australian viewpoint... @mocbuild101 and @MangaNOID and the Canadians @BusterHaus.  So prizes are like icing on a cake eh?  Don't really need it if the cake is good. The job comment was hilarious by the way @MangaNOID 

And seeing the cost of Lego in the down the under, you have my deepest sympathies.  

Edited by Bublehead

Yes the shipping I guess adds a bigger cost :thumbdown:

Having said what I did above though a prize is always welcome. As you say cherry on the cake. I would be happy with donating a few bucks on entry towards a prize.

and an old set would be of great interest(studded even!)

There will be some (simple) prizes and I will be shipping them. I don’t like it when there are no prizes. Nothing big, but something nonetheless :thumbup: 

Prizes aren’t a factor in entering a competition, the challenge and enjoyment are.

looking forward to the next comp @Jim hope you give us a nice amount of building time

53 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Prizes aren’t a factor in entering a competition, the challenge and enjoyment are.

looking forward to the next comp @Jim hope you give us a nice amount of building time

I know, and I really like that you all think about it that way. But we once had a contest without prizes...and it just didn't feel right to me. And it doesn't even need to be a LEGO set. The coffee cups seemed to do well, so we might venture into Eurobricks paraphernalia as well.
You will get ample time. Since it's the summer period with holidays and stuff, you do need some extra time.

We are more or less finalizing the idea right now. It will probably still fit the non-vehicle concept, but with a twist :tongue: