Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

Ok, more like using a shrink-ray, or an expando-ray gun to shrink the scale or expand the scale, but the metric to measure and determine a valid entry is by a parts reduction of at least 50% or expansion of a set by by 100% so a 1000 part model needs reduced in scale (any scale) but must be no greater than a 500 piece model and an expansion can be to any bigger scale, as long as piece count goest to 2000 or is it a 50% increase to 1500 parts? But that’s the idea? Correct?

7 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

What if as a contest we had a Supersize vs. Miniaturize contest? It would work like this, a contest with two categories, with the following criteria:

Category A is Supersize. You take a set, and revamp it, at least doubling the amount of parts used in the set. I initially wanted to have a maximum part count threshold for this, but if someone wanted to enter a 42055 doubled in size, I'm all for that.

Category B is Miniaturize. You take a set, and shrink it, at least cutting the part count in half. I also wanted a limit, but if you can cut the number of parts in a small set in half, I'm all for that to.

Having two categories would allow for a lot of freedom for builder choice, but allow for some more definition, versus the last couple of contests.

What do y'all think?

I think that would be great :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Bublehead said:

Ok, more like using a shrink-ray, or an expando-ray gun to shrink the scale or expand the scale, but the metric to measure and determine a valid entry is by a parts reduction of at least 50% or expansion of a set by by 100% so a 1000 part model needs reduced in scale (any scale) but must be no greater than a 500 piece model and an expansion can be to any bigger scale, as long as piece count goest to 2000 or is it a 50% increase to 1500 parts? But that’s the idea? Correct?

Exactly. shrink or expand the scale of a model.

Ok, but don’t you think shrink is way harder than expand, from a functions point of view?  But expand also has its challenges as well, especially if bigger means you need more power to drive it or lift things, like excavator buckets and the like... now I am wondering which way to go... dang it your making me think.... that’s never been a good thing in the past :classic:

That would be a great theme! (In fact, I have suggested it a while back too). I think many people will instantly get some ideas to start out with. The only thing I would change is, instead of using part count, use measurements. So I'd suggest to simplify the rule to "rebuild a set in a different scale". You could provide number limits, such as: at least 20% smaller or 20% bigger, but actually I don't think that's needed. Everyone understand what it means to rebuild something in a different the scale, and everyone knows that it's not "make it 2 studs shorter". :)

The "shrink-ray or expando-ray" as @Bublehead calls it, would be a great and fun way to present the contest :)

That way, contestants don't have to count the parts, without taking away from the spirit of the contest.

I'd be down for this. Maybe evaluate entries in part based on recognizability and retention of functionality. Sounds like a fun challenge!

I would like to see an aeronautical themed contest without strict limitations.

Since most of the mocs and a lot of the sets are cars.

1 hour ago, aminnich said:

So a good example would be 42009 and @Jeroen Ottens newest crane build?

Yes, another good example would be 42009 and @Erik Leppen's 5 axle crane. Jeroen's build is an example of an expando ray, and Erik's is an example of a shrink ray.

3 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Jeroen's build is an example of an expando ray, and Erik's is an example of a shrink ray.

Those could even be used as examples in the information topic...

Thank you for those who PMed me.

@Jim and @Milan are the moderators and run and control the contests.  I am just a sponsor. They will announce any upcoming contests as schedules permit.

Edited by Bublehead
Moderator respect

22 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

I need your help!

For an upcoming building contest, I need pictures of peoples MOCs that I can have permission to use in order to promote it.

Would you require permission from the designer of the MOC or just the person taking a picture on someone else MOC which they have built?

2 hours ago, Bublehead said:

@Jim and I have discussed a contest sponsored by me, and I am getting all the graphics and promotional materials together before we finalize or announce anything so please be patient.

Thanks in advance,

Hi,

Jim has also stated that he has two upcoming contests planned and he wanted to wait with your initiative, so I am not sure why you are posting this here?!

Please let @Milan and myself do our thing and don’t start contests without our approval.

If you feel the need, use our PM conversation to discuss this.

36 minutes ago, Jim said:

Jim has also stated that he has two upcoming contests planned

:drool: Cant wait!!!

Edited by aminnich

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I wonder what about, may have to reconsider my current project.

Any hints :sweet:?

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Yes! I could need some inspiration for a new MOC. I'm curios what theme it would be?

13 hours ago, Bublehead said:

Thank you for those who PMed me.

@Jim and @Milan are the moderators and run and control the contests.  I am just a sponsor. They will announce any upcoming contests as schedules permit.

Just to make it clear; TLG (and myself, if you include S&H) will sponsor our upcoming contests, not Bublehead, and I haven't given him permission to pursue his contest activity. He has offered to be sponsor, which is a very nice gesture, but I have explained that we will be running our own contests first. If there will be a Bublehead sponsored contest in 2019, I will make sure to let you guys know. 

About the upcoming contests...
The next one will be a smaller contest, but I am not 100% sure about the theme. The contest for Sept/Oct will be a big one and I am 99% sure about the theme. I already have some prizes for the upcoming contest, which I will send out myself. And I will try to get my hands on a Bugatti for the end of the year :thumbup:

Thank you Jim, the contests are always great for the community.

Also, I have another good idea. What about a Technicify a set contest? Basically, you would take any set that isn't Technic, and make it into a Technic set. I know @Thirdwigg did something where he made an old City set into a Technic set, and the result was rather nice. Given Lego's rich history, I think it would be a nice diverse contest with lots to choose from.

I have a contest theme suggestion: animals! 

I guess that would be outside of most of the builders their comfort zone. And we get to see something else for once!  (no vehicles at least)

Another idea i had was a kinetic art contest.

I would love to see a contest that steers away from any kind of vehicle, because 95% of all MOCs are vehicles already.