Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

On 11/7/2017 at 7:46 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Following the Whacky Wheels Contest, we can have a Whacky Wings Contest, in which contestants are required to build an aircraft with a wacky function.

And maybe Whacky Watercraft Contest also.

That would be too similar to the last contest - we need something different...

Unless it actually was a Whacky contest - Build a vehicle with a giant hammer! :laugh:

On 11/7/2017 at 7:12 PM, Jim said:

Mindstorms....

That was my other idea for a contest - Build a Mindstorms robot! 

There can even be separate categories - for each of the three generations of Mindstorms. (RCX, NXT, and EV3)

Edited by mocbuild101

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

That was my other idea for a contest - Build a Mindstorms robot! 

There can even be separate categories - for each of the three generations of Mindstorms. (RCX, NXT, and EV3)

How many people have Mindstorms? I mean it's expensive. The entry level would be too high.

I would prefer a contest, which does not allow power functions. Just old fashioned manual technic functionalities.

Just now, kodlovag said:

How many people have Mindstorms? I mean it's expensive. The entry level would be too high.

Exactly.

8 minutes ago, IA creations said:

Supercar contest :)?

While I absolutely love the idea, it has a fundamental problem. Most people don't design and build a supercar in 6 to 8 weeks. So what will happen? The lucky few, who have been building for a year and have nearly finished their supercar, will enter the contest and have a killer entry.

That's why we try to enforce rules and limitation, which improve the odds that people need to build something new and specific. 

Just now, Jim said:

Most people don't design and build a supercar in 6 to 8 weeks.

There were a few cars built in the last contest, so why not have a contest to build any type of car?

Just now, mocbuild101 said:

There were a few cars built in the last contest, so why not have a contest to build any type of car?

Or anything BUT a car :laugh:

I agree with Ivan_M, we had two "unconventional" contest, so why not building something real that is not a vehicle? Plenty of things have intricate technical mechanisms and functions. 

9 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

I would welcome more serious contest for change - we had two contest with quite similar mood, to build something not represented in real world/crazy/wacky etc. Please not another crazy "Pullback" contest. I'm all in for something like TC9? "Build a crane".

I agree with this. I only realized a few weeks ago that TC12 is very similar to TC11 in that it's "vehicles" but not normal vehicles. I think it's time for a realistic contest again. Whether it's subject matter-based (such as "build a crane"), or other, I don't know. Maybe something as simple as "build a truck" and require at least 2 functions besides steering and drive. That gives a lot of freedom so that everyone can build along, whether large or small. The great advantage of the crane contest was that it allowed for very conventional builds (mobile cranes, truck cranes) as well as more original builds (such as harbor cranes and all the other things that we have seen).

Also, maybe check out the competitions that Techlug.fr has had, they have had some very good themes. They were a bit more specific than Eurobricks Technic contests (which makes the entries more similar), but this makes it easy for people to get started quickly. For TC12, I spent most of my time waiting for a good idea. I think for "build a truck" many people will have a few starter ideas popping up almost instantly. At least they can start working on e.g. a chassis or a cab and specify later what kind of truck theirs is going to be.

I dont really mind what theme, but I do think it's good to avoid a fantasy theme, because we had two of those in a row now.

My idea for contest would be either:

A. Something without wheels or tracks but still capable of travel.

B. Replicate a mechanical movement.

C. Ball transfer device aka GBC but between defined locations within a constrained 3D frame.

3 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

B. Replicate a mechanical movement.

What something like this; 

in middle school I had a project that everyone was given a final task (raise a flag "x" amount) and everyone had their own contraption to do that task.

It would be a totally different type of contest for sure. 

I have a book that contains thousands of mechnical movements dating back many years.

38192325126_7294b89a0b_c.jpg

Edited by Doug72

18 minutes ago, aminnich said:

What something like this; in middle school I had a project that everyone was given a final task (raise a flag "x" amount) and everyone had their own contraption to do that task.

That sounds like a good contest! Perfect baseline to start from, and totally open to whatever means you want. I would state a base limit, say, no more than 60X60 studs is in order.

2 hours ago, aminnich said:

What something like this; 

in middle school I had a project that everyone was given a final task (raise a flag "x" amount) and everyone had their own contraption to do that task.

It would be a totally different type of contest for sure. 

Rube goldbug contest!

Sounds interstring...

7 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Rube Goldberg contest!

Yes! :sweet: Rube Goldberg machines are one of my favorite mechanical constructions - they're so complex and amazing, yet at the same time, completely pointless!

In the UK Heath Robinson was a well know eccentric who built all maanner of weird devices and now has a museum about his contraptions.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson

In the 1950, a working narrow gauge railway was built in London for the Festival of Britain- see video,

Edited by Doug72

I know we just wrapped up a contest, but I think I would be nice to have one while the college students are home for winter break.  I know I would have way more time and I know of a few other builders that can't participate in contests because of college. 

Just a thought 

1 hour ago, aminnich said:

I know we just wrapped up a contest, but I think I would be nice to have one while the college students are home for winter break.  I know I would have way more time and I know of a few other builders that can't participate in contests because of college. 

Just a thought 

This is a really nice remark. I'm primarily a lurker, but would have loved to participate in the Wacky Wheels contest, except that I had only a week home with my collection between my summer internship and my semester in Russia.

Idea for a competition:

We could have a contest that requires a pull back motor but you can build anything. Power functions cannot be used. Model need not be a vehicle.

I'm sorry if this contest has been held already. I am not a regular to EB.

Just now, SaGo said:

a contest that requires a pull back motor...

I'm sorry if this contest has been held already

No, but it has been suggested already... quite a few times...

I would like to see a more technical competion. Something like walking on two legs, step up specific steps or some industrial line, that can assemble an easy model. PF required, Mindstorms forbidden.

Or something like a mechanical calculator, input for two numbers, show the result.

Just now, MegaRoi said:

I would like to see a more technical competion. Something like walking on two legs, step up specific steps or some industrial line, that can assemble an easy model. PF required, Mindstorms forbidden.

Or something like a mechanical calculator, input for two numbers, show the result.

Build a non-vehicle :wink:

34 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

No, but it has been suggested already... quite a few times...

Yup. And eventually we will probably do something like that.