Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

I'm hoping Jim starts the next competition soon so then we can all start moaning about the rules like we usually do instead of talking about the H2 2017 sets ... ?

Plus the crazy amount of posts trying to find holes in very clearly stated rules.:sweet::wink:

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:35 AM, wissamms said:

Hello,

If I may suggest some ideas, I feel that the "Techlug" (France) style of contests was pretty effective to bring out excellent models and allow rather efficient voting.

I think that the main issue was to put a frame as rigid as possible around what is allowed and what is not allowed.

I strongly support this suggestion!

Wait for it....

32978251886_48910e2ce8_b.jpg

Contest coming VERY SOON! No rules questions here please.

TC12 suggestion.

Contest name : The power of third party

Basic rule : all model must use at the least 3 or 5 of third party or self made/modifited parts.(buwizz, efferman's, or something else...)

* Don't have limit of size or motor, pneumatic, LED, or something etc.

* Sbrick and non-lego string, rubber band, pneumatic horse is NOT counted 'third party part'

Appraisal :

Model design, unable to replace with existing parts, where to use third party parts

2 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Basic rule : all model must use at the least 3 or 5 of third party or self made/modifited parts.(buwizz, efferman's, or something else...)

Well, will it work if I publish some RC monster with just a couple of LEGO bricks attached somewhere? I see that it perfectly meets your requirements :grin:

I'd personally wish to see a competition again with a part limit. It's been ages since the last.

Edit:

And/Or a competition where you can't use 1-3 very often used parts? Perhaps that's a fun way to think of new solutions? Easy picking: just choose 1-3 from the 'favorite part' topic. 

Edited by Appie

10 minutes ago, Appie said:

I'd personally wish to see a competition again with a part limit. It's been ages since the last.

Edit:

And/Or a competition where you can't use 1-3 very often used parts? Perhaps that's a fun way to think of new solutions? Easy picking: just choose 1-3 from the 'favorite part' topic. 

Maybe something like the "seed part" in Iron Builder? Something commonly found but not often used so it's easy to participate?

11 minutes ago, Appie said:

Edit:

Maybe something like the "seed part" in Iron Builder? Something commonly found but not often used so it's easy to participate?

Ditto on the part limit contest. That, or a size limit would be a lot of fun.

8 hours ago, Void_S said:

Well, will it work if I publish some RC monster with just a couple of LEGO bricks attached somewhere? I see that it perfectly meets your requirements :grin:

Using RC motor with lego wheel and gear-Yes

Using RC chasses with lego body-No

8 hours ago, Appie said:

Edit:

3 stud pin disabled LOL. So challenging build contest.

6 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Using RC motor with lego wheel and gear-Yes

Using RC chasses with lego body-No

3 stud pin disabled LOL. So challenging build contest.

Or losing the "Pinhole to go" (pin with pinhole).

A few days ago, I suddenly had a cool idea for a competition: unusual/funny/weird vehicles. Build a fantasy vehicle, something weird, something wicked, but that could be made in reality. (For inspiration of what I mean, do a google image search on "strange vehicles". I think this could be a lot of fun - people get to build something they usually don't, and there're a lot of options so there's plenty to choose from for everyone's likes.

Edited by Erik Leppen

On 4/10/2017 at 11:46 AM, msk6003 said:

TC12 suggestion.

Contest name : The power of third party

* Don't have limit of size or motor, pneumatic, LED, or something etc.

* Sbrick and non-lego string, rubber band, pneumatic horse is NOT counted 'third party part'

Appraisal :

Model design, unable to replace with existing parts, where to use third party parts

I like that idea :laugh:

My one suggestion for now. A competition without buggy motors!!! I don't own one and I don't think most people on here own one. They are rare and expensive! Please think about this future Contest maker.

Aventador

9 minutes ago, JJ2 said:

I like that idea :laugh:

I don't :tongue:

2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

A few days ago, I suddenly had a cool idea for a competition: unusual/funny/weird vehicles. Build a fantasy vehicle, something weird, something wicked, but that could be made in reality. (For inspiration of what I mean, do a google image search on "strange vehicles". I think this could be a lot of fun - people get to build something they usually don't, and there're a lot of options so there's plenty to choose from for everyone's likes.

Sounds like a plan :classic:

I think Jim might be done with contests after this one, it got a little out of hand..... He will just pass it off to Milan to deal with the chaos  :laugh:

1 minute ago, aminnich said:

I think Jim might be done with contests after this one, it got a little out of hand..... He will just pass it off to Milan to deal with the chaos  :laugh:

That might happen :laugh:!!

Here is a proposal that I think is interesting:
It is based on the principle of competitions on techlug which have been very successful. This type of competition brings a surprising diversity of creation and has the advantage of being particularly well supervised.

You must make a studless version of this historical set:

IIpLht.jpg

- Your model must respect in all points the functionalities present on the original set, not more, not less.
- The original set is entirely manual, yours will also be manual. The use of electrical components is prohibited.
- The original colors must be observed. As they are very common, this maximizes access to the contest for people with less available inventory.
- The scale and size of the original set must be respected to the nearest stud.
- Lego has evolved greatly in design, nevertheless it is required to respect the original design to the maximum by just adding the necessary details.
- Your proposal will reproduce obviously and based on your only inventory of the main model the models B and C of the original set.

Your creation will be judged on the following criteria:
- Respect of original models
- The most successful and optimized transcription of the studless technique
- Quality of your presentation (attention to photos and explanatory texts)
- A video demonstrating the perfect functionality of the models is required

In order to add to the total, in a separate presentation, you have to integrate the possibility of motorizing your main model by means of the lego standard motorization set: 1 motor M maximum.

Your mission, if you accept it, is to take up the challenge in two months ....

Deal?

Edited by steph77
format text editing

I am not a big fan of this type of contest. Every member is building the same model, so people will probably want to hide their WIP topics. The best builders obviously have a big advantage, because originality is virtually non-existent.

But if people like it....why not.

23 minutes ago, aminnich said:

Milan is already doing a lot of the work, so no worries :sweet:

23 minutes ago, aminnich said:

How many contests do we usually have a year? 

Two contest per year average.

Depends on other events on EB and the contest prizes.