Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

This seems like a nice addition to the rules. A WIP topic is allowed after two weeks. And agreed on the content of the WIP. It should not be used to "reserve an idea" :thumbup:

Milan, how about updating the rules with these two rules?

I am on it!

Hi,

I would like to now your opinion on limitations in the rules. Each TC has had his own set of limitations (build something that transforms, your entry must have 4 motors controlled via IR, the model must fit in a box of X x Y x Z studs, etc.).

If I speak for myself I enjoyed the competetion with the strictest set of limitations the most (in particular the MINI challenge with the 200 piece limit, the modelteam challenge with a limited size and the C-model competition).

This may sound contra-intuitive, but I feel that the more 'open' competitions where everything is allowed, allow for so many possibilities that it somehow inhibits my creativity. I just don't know where to start.

So what is your opinion on this? Do you prefer a challenge with some difficult requirements (like a low piece limit or a restricted part set).

Or do you like challenges with the least number of boundaries and your preferred challenge is 'just build something beautiful'.

i like either, i like limitations to tell me what all i can do and what i should focus on. but i also like having an open concept contest so i can build whatever i want.

I just don't know where to start.

Pick a type of crane that interests you and start building haha

I also loved both sets of rules. One had strict limits, others had more open aproach. Each has its pro and con. But most importantly, i had great time in each of them.

... If I speak for myself I enjoyed the competetion with the strictest set of limitations the most (in particular the MINI challenge with the 200 piece limit, the modelteam challenge with a limited size and the C-model competition). This may sound contra-intuitive, but I feel that the more 'open' competitions where everything is allowed, allow for so many possibilities that it somehow inhibits my creativity. I just don't know where to start.

So what is your opinion on this? Do you prefer a challenge with some difficult requirements (like a low piece limit or a restricted part set).

Or do you like challenges with the least number of boundaries and your preferred challenge is 'just build something beautiful'.

I agree with you, contests with part count restrictions lead to more creative constructions. The MINI contest was, for me, the most fun and biggest challenge to build and has lead to the biggest amount of well tough through and creative entries. The Technic community tends to get spoiled by huge and incredible creations with thousands of parts and many PF and RC components. Although I have huge respect for these builders and their creations, I'm more fascinated by small and mid-sized sets which force the builder to be much more creative with parts to create functional mechanisms while getting the look and feel right.

That said, I don't think all contests should be restricted in size or part count, it is always interesting to see what people come up with. But I hesitate to enter these kind of "unlimited" contests because I get the feeling that my creation will be blown out of the water by huge creations made by people with bigger budgets or more time. To be honest, I think this will happen with the current TC8 as well. Somebody will enter with a 5000 part, full RC crane and most of the voters will throw superlatives at it and forget about smaller creations which could be much more brilliant in the creative problem solving. A piece count limit levels the playing field and lowers the threshold for novices to enter.

As I have seen in my profession so many times, constraints lead to creativity.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

I would like to now your opinion on limitations in the rules. [snip]

If I speak for myself I enjoyed the competetion with the strictest set of limitations the most.

This may sound contra-intuitive, but I feel that the more 'open' competitions where everything is allowed, allow for so many possibilities that it somehow inhibits my creativity. I just don't know where to start.

So what is your opinion on this? Do you prefer a challenge with some difficult requirements. Or do you like challenges with the least number of boundaries and your preferred challenge is 'just build something beautiful'.

Good question. I think it's good that there's variety. To be really honest I think I like the limited ones a bit better, because they require me to build something I usually don't build. The enforcer/bandit compo is a perfect example. Very much is possible, but still, everyone has to really come up with something new. They can't just grab their first talent and use their experience. So, if the rules are strict, to me it feels more like a competition of ingenuity, rather than a competition of experience.

But I like all competitions so far. It widens my building horizon, and it pushes me to strive for the best :)

The more rules and guidelines that are set I think are great way to have each competition different to the other one, otherwise they just end up being free build (to say) themes and helps us think a little harder about how to do the build. I agree with Erik on this.

I personally think this contest could have used a few more rules like part limits (especially since this is the 3rd contest in a row with no limit for a subject that even Lego themselves loves to throw parts at), PF, LA's and/or pneumatics not allowed or no stuff allowed like a 42009. I add the 42009 because I have seen so many awesome mobile cranes that were build the past few years that allowing people to make something like it in this contest just feels like a: "been there, done that" or "that mobile crane did it better". Zblj already ran with the one type of mobile crane that I haven't seen much of: an offroad version. The rest will most likely be Liebherr #2193/ultimate 42009 #3578. With a part limit, not allowing PF, LA's or pneumatics it would at least open up some creativity imo. Or with a "no 42009 clones" rule I was looking forward to more of a contest looking for a rival for the 42042.

Just my 2 cents. Either way, good luck to the contestants.

Edited by Appie

Hi,

I would like to now your opinion on limitations in the rules. Each TC has had his own set of limitations (build something that transforms, your entry must have 4 motors controlled via IR, the model must fit in a box of X x Y x Z studs, etc.).

If I speak for myself I enjoyed the competetion with the strictest set of limitations the most (in particular the MINI challenge with the 200 piece limit, the modelteam challenge with a limited size and the C-model competition).

I agree with this fully. What I like about the competitions with more limitations is the way that you're forced to think differently. This means that new types of creativity are pushed with these types of competitions. Just my views, and I'm glad that regular competitions are taking place!

Could someone give some video/picture advice. Since the video is required, i feel like those of us who have no idea what they are doing should have some kind of advice from those of you that do. Like; what is a good video editor for both windows and IOS devices??

Thanks

I actually don't mind having unlimited part/size contests, and I think it's nice to have one every now and then. It's nice to see the crazy Mocs that an unlimited contest can offer. Size doesn't always matter either, as evident in the TSATS results.

Could someone give some video/picture advice. Since the video is required, i feel like those of us who have no idea what they are doing should have some kind of advice from those of you that do. Like; what is a good video editor for both windows and IOS devices??

Thanks

I really like the iMovie software that come with Mac OSX, although I'm not sure if the version for IOS devices is the same. iMovie doesn't have all the features of Adobe Premier, After Effects, or Final Cut Pro; but I find it to be very user friendly. Windows Movie Maker is terrible. I've also used Adobe Premier Elements 9, but I found it difficult to use and rather glitchy. Years ago, a friend of mine always used the Sony Vegas software, but I couldn't tell you if it's any good.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Man, this contest seems dead without WIP topics like all of the other contests.

I was thinking the same thing, actually. Maybe we should post updates on our progress. If it's just text, I can't imagine it will harm anybody :)

I was thinking the same thing, actually. Maybe we should post updates on our progress. If it's just text, I can't imagine it will harm anybody :)

No, lets wait until Saturday. Im placing bets that their will be 12 crane WIP topics started. Moneys on the table....

$T2eC16FHJH8E9qSEUc7MBRzKFzz,z!~~60_57.JPG

EDIT: sorry for such a large picture haha

Edited by aminnich

While rating the entries of TC8 I had an idea for a possible contest:

“Design a TLG set”

- 3 categories: mini, medium and flagship each with respective limited part counts and each category will have a winner

- Any machine is possible, but it should be something which is attractive (in function, shape and color) to the target audience. Note that the targeted age groups can differ in each category.

- Box art proposal should be a deliverable as well

- Focus on playability and ease of operation

- Attention for construction rigidity and sturdiness (maybe a video of a prescribed droptest to prove it)

- Free to choose RC/PF, possibly as a extension option

Any thoughts?

While rating the entries of TC8 I had an idea for a possible contest:

“Design a TLG set”

- 3 categories: mini, medium and flagship each with respective limited part counts and each category will have a winner

- Any machine is possible, but it should be something which is attractive (in function, shape and color) to the target audience. Note that the targeted age groups can differ in each category.

- Box art proposal should be a deliverable as well

- Focus on playability and ease of operation

- Attention for construction rigidity and sturdiness (maybe a video of a prescribed droptest to prove it)

- Free to choose RC/PF, possibly as a extension option

Any thoughts?

I think that is a great idea! Working with a part limit and requiring a sturdy and functional, playable model poses new challenges that are not often highlighted or even considered. (When building my TC8 entry I tried to keep it playable, but some parts turned out to be more fragile than I intended...)

The box art may be a bit too much to ask for though. It would be sad to see great entries disqualified because the builder lacks the technical skills to create box art...

Sounds like a cool idea. I do have a problem with this setup though. It seems that more and more people are entering a contest with an existing (WIP) MOC. A contest like the one you describe, will open the doors for MOCs which have been in development for several months. Therefor a more limited contest seems to be the better choice.

Some other issues:

• How do we check rigidity? Video is limited in proving it.
  • Designing box art results in an unfair advantage for people with photoshop skills.

While I do like the idea, I think it has some flaws. Future contests will be more limited, since "free build" and "big fat" contest generates a lot of debate in the "existing WIP MOC" section.

If it's any consolation, the next contest I have in mind will be close to "design an official LEGO set".

I do have a problem with this setup though. It seems that more and more people are entering a contest with an existing (WIP) MOC.

True, maybe the contest should be open to "surprise requirements" halfway through the process. For example: "Use at least three blue parts". In the WIP topic, a photo should prove that in during the build progress, these blue parts suddenly appear.

How do we check rigidity? Video is limited in proving it.

Yes, I understand it is tricky, nevertheless I think many creations could benefit for increased attention to the construction and rigidity. MOCs are often constructed sketchy and sometimes so flimsy they are not playable at all. This is only apparent when you build them in real life. In my eyes, here lies one of the biggest strengths of an official set, they are really engineered properly to withstand the use during paying.

Designing box art results in an unfair advantage for people with photoshop skills.

The same is true for video in my opinion.

If it's any consolation, the next contest I have in mind will be close to "design an official LEGO set".

Great, I'm already curious about it.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

The same is true for video in my opinion.

The video is meant to "prove" the functions are working properly. I don't care about the quality of the video. If it proves the MOC is working, it's fine be me.

Of course, better pictures and better video (i.e. better presentation) might give you a slight advantage. But anyone with a modern smartphone can shoot decent pictures and make a decent video.

How about a Non motorized MOC challenge? Or a crawler challenge :)

How about a Non motorized MOC challenge?

How about, YES! Great idea. Coming right up :laugh:

Or a crawler challenge :)

How about, no more crawlers for a while :wink:

What about a contest of things that TLG hasn't done?

:wink:

One day we will probably do a non-vehicle contest again. That's close to "what TLG hasn't done" (for Technic).