Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Heroica RPG - Cruel Angel's Thesis ~ Final Day

cat-logo.jpg

FINAL DAY ~ QUESTIONS OF LIFE AND DEATH

Once more Scheherazade was the first one to discover the bodies left from the bloody night. Heron Jujube was dead again, and so was Zpilf, the ogre that had suddenly sprouted wings.

catend1.jpg

heroicanpc-scheherazade.jpg

"By gods, how long will this carnage last?!"

The matron had her answer as the vision of the dark angel appeared again, this time over Zpilf, and this time brighter than ever before.

catend2.jpg

heroicanpc-lucifuge.jpg

{You may thwart me over and over again, but you can never slay an angel! Heroica will fall as Azazot rises again from the ashes of Mercution! Your destruction is inevitable, heirs of Morduin the Doomsayer!"}

"Yeah yeah, quit flapping your lips and fly back to whatever nest you crawled out of!"

As the Veterans awoke, Scheherazade recounted the angel's words to them at the Saloon.

catend3.jpg

heroicanpc-sandqueen.jpg

"I cannot sense the dark wings over us anymore. But there is a shroud of darkness over this city, something even more sinister than the angel..."

heroicanpc-copperfox.jpg

"You really sound like the heir of the Doomsayer when you talk like that, dear Sand Queen! Sheesh, can't we just rejoice the fact that we can stop killing each other now?"

heroicanpc-falconer.jpg

"If the threat is really over, that is. I almost can't believe it...."

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"Uh, I think we ought to tell those guys that, too."

The Feathered Serpent pointed down at the main hall, where the remaining heroes had gathered, armed and ready for another arduous day of bloodshed and paranoia.

catend4.jpg

heroicanpc-dragonlord.jpg

"Everyone, drop your weapons, this instant! And listen up!"

The confused heroes did as the Dragonlord told, and the Veterans gathered on the balcony to explain the situation.

catend5.jpg

heroicanpc-sandqueen.jpg

"...so we firmly believe that the last of the Nephilim died with Zpilf. We can finally reopen the doors to the world outside and continue performing great acts of heroism in the footsteps of the original Veterans. Why don't you join us for a celebratory toast here in the Saloon, first?"

Silence fell on the crowd below.

"Forget about it, just let us out!" someone shouted.

"Yeah, I've had just about enough of this crap. I quit!"

"Me too! This isn't what I signed up to!"

There was no talking them around. As the doors were opened, all of the surviving heroes marched out, leaving Heroica behind for good. Six days and nights of killing their friends and companions had just been too much for any of them to bear.

catend6.jpg

There was but one hero who lingered behind, but only because she wanted to talk with her aunt Scheherazade first.

catend7.jpg

catava-sorcerer.jpg

"All this Heroica stuff was really boring, you know? I can't believe you talked me into this! And just when it was about to get exciting, I was killed! My head was lobbed right off by a dwarf, can you believe that?! So no, nothing you say will make me change my mind - I'm outta here!"

heroicanpc-shampoo.jpg

"So am I, momma! Off to find new fools to sucker and drain out of their gold. I'm going to get you that Inn you always dreamed about, just you wait!"

"Fine, get lost, both of you! Don't worry about little old me, I can manage fine all on my own! Especially now that all my customers are gone... Well, at least I don't have to start each day by mopping up blood from the floors anymore!"

Scheherazade literally kicked both Sham and Eris out of the Hall, and returned to tending the Saloon, grumbling about insolent and ungrateful youngin's all the way up the stairs.

Some time later, the doors of the Hall were opened once again, and in stepped the three enlisted heroes that the organization had left: Åsa Niflheimr, a Nôrnish Battle Mage; Ezekiel Drake, a roguish explorer; and Madame Adeline Rouge Doux, socialite extraordinaire. The Copper Fox was the first to greet them.

catend8.jpg

heroicanpc-asa.jpg

"Mr. Copper Fox, I am so relieved to see you alive! I ran into Weyrdág at the Nôrn building, and she told me all about what happened here!"

heroicanpc-ezekiel.jpg

"Yeah, we arrived from our quest a few days ago and were perplexed to see the Hall's doors shut tight. Nobody would even answer our knocks!"

heroicanpc-adeline.jpg

"Phew! This place reeks of death! Did you really lynch each other here?"

heroicanpc-copperfox.jpg

"Wow, we had almost forgotten about you guys! Glad to see we have at least some active members left. Wait here, I'll go fetch the others."

The Veterans told the whole story to the three puzzled heroes, beginning from the death of Lothoros Eldar and ending with the fact that everyone else quit the organization.

catend9.jpg

heroicanpc-falconer.jpg

"We have already gotten messages from the Six Houses that their trust in Heroica has been seriously damaged by this incident. If we can't even keep our own members from killing each other, how can they trust us to uphold peace and order in the Free Island? Joining Heroica has always been a risky business, but it's not like we can cheat death, can we?"

heroicanpc-asa.jpg

"Actually, I might have something that could benefit Heroica. We Nôrns have kept them a secret for now, but we brought something with us when we fled Nôrnia: relics from our Goddess...

At that moment, Byblos the Librarian dashed into the Hall from a side door.

catend10.jpg

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"By Orang Pendek's fists, I'm free again! Last night I uncovered something that will help us solve this case without further bloodshed! Only I was kidnapped and tied into a closet, and only now I was able to set my self free, and..." The Metasimian froze as he saw a familiar face in the crowd. A deep blush spread over his cheeks. "Ooh, Madame Rouge Doux! How did you get in?"

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"The case is closed, Byblos. The Nephilim are dead, so you can save your breath."

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"B-b-but... Did you know that Lucifuge must've dwelled underneath the Doomsayer's Island? It used to be called Angel Island before the Veteran settled in there. And just recently, a group of heroes went on a quest there..."

"Yes, we figured that all out when the last of the Nephilim died. They had all been on the same quest, save for Brienne Deercourt, who must've been recruited later. The island has now been put under a quarantine - no hero of Heroica must ever step onto it again. We don't know what the Doomsayer did to that angel there, but Lucifuge sure as hell ain't dead. We can't risk him brainwashing any more of our kind."

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"They're all dead, then... So all these nights spent awake to study had been for naught?!"

heroicanpc-adeline.jpg

"Don't say that, Byblos-darling! I love a man with brains."

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"M-madame Rouge Doux!!!"

After the incident was over, Åsa Niflheimr was promoted as the sixth Veteran, and she took the monicker of the Valkyrie. The Veterans became more careful about covering their true identities, in the fear that Heroica would one day be infiltrated again. But despite the mistrust the organization had gained among the Six Houses ruling Eubric Freeport, the organization recovered - mostly thanks to the Nôrns' miraculous items that prevented heroes of Heroica from dying as long as they were members - and grew larger than ever.

catend11.jpg

The Dragonlord ended his story by drinking his goblet empty. Scaro and Hoptet looked at the Veteran in awe.

catend13.jpg

"So yeah, that was how it all went down. Now off you go, gentlemen - make me proud!"

The two champions looked at each other as they left the Saloon.

catend14.jpg

heroicanpc-scaro2.jpg

"I always say, city people are crazy!"

heroicanpc-hoptet.jpg

"Yes, agreed. To kill friends because birdman say so... No Metasimian would never do so."

heroicanpc-scaro2.jpg

"Neither werehyena. We smart."

The two nodded in agreement.

~FIN~

SPECIAL ENDING:

Town Watch Barracks, two years ago...

catend12.jpg

heroicanpc-ubertlilbelly.jpg

"Constable Phiephyrphoe, report at once! Why haven't I heard from you in six days? Was your secret mission to spy on Heroica endangered?"

catava-infiltrator.jpg

"To say... the least... Captain Lilbelly! Where should I...even begin..."

Thank you so much for playing, everyone! I know the game concept wasn't the most successful one, but I truly hope you guys at least had fun with it!

I sincerely apologize for the people who played as Nephilim - you did an outstanding job, but unfortunately the mechanics made it impossible for you to win, and I realized it too late.

I will post the entry PMs for everyone later, so you can see what kind of skills and items your fellow players had, but that will have to wait for tomorrow. Here's the final list of players (and winners):

PLAYER CHARACTERS:

catava-cleric3.jpgEin Surefoot (Esurient) ~ 397 years old male dwarf Cleric ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-knight2.jpgEmmanuelle Janus (emjajoas) ~ 33 years old female human Knight ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-evoker.jpgEnya Dorgamel (Endgame) ~ 23 years old female human Evoker ~ Heroica (killed on Night Three but resurrected on Night Five, survived)

catava-sorcerer.jpgEris (Eric Su) ~ 26 years old female orc Sorcerer ~ Heroica (killed on Day Two but resurrected on Day Six, survived)

catava-wingedwarrior.jpgFleyra (Flare) ~ 29 years old female Rito Winged Warrior ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-infiltrator.jpgGeosmos Phiephyrphoe (joeshmoe554) ~ 52 years old male cyclops Infiltrator ~ Neutral (survived)

catava-knight.jpgJinnipher Buchaire (JimButcher) ~ 71 years old female elf Knight ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-witch.jpgLorth-Anoob (LordoftheNoobs) ~ 42 years old female Pantanan Witch ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-alchemist.jpgLuridan Voros (Lord Duvors) ~ 53 years old male gremlin Alchemist ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-regulator.jpgO’Blix (-obelix-) ~ 27 years old male goblin Regulator ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-druid.jpgPallas Thaddicus (Palathadric) ~ 103 years old male Lucustoid Druid ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-barbarian.jpgPanduin Oreheart (Pandora) ~ 148 years old male dwarf Barbarian ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-battlemage.jpgPiro the Visionary (Pyrovisionary) ~ 227 years old male wereturtle Battle Mage ~ Heroica (killed on Day Two but resurrected on Day Three, survived)

catava-skirmisher.jpgSir Rubinstein (Rumble Strike) ~ 47 years old male human Skirmisher ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-minstrel.jpgScamander Taurros (Scubacarrot) ~ 34 years old male satyr Minstrel ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-berserker.jpgSwinehurst (swils) ~ 31 years old male porc Berserker ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-cannoneer.jpgTheodor Legion (The Legonater) ~ 73 years old male human Cannoneer ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-chimonk.jpgUsharnam Madima (UsernameMDM) ~ 38 years old male Naga Chi Monk ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-assassin.jpgWerther Brickton (Waterbrick Down) ~ 49 years old male zombie Assassin ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-hunter.jpgWeyrdág (Wedge09) ~ 341 years old female Nôrn Hunter ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-sage.jpgZarissa Curie (Zakura) ~ 58 years old female gnome Sage ~ Heroica (survived)

catava-artisan.jpgZelphie (Zepher) ~ 815 years old female fairy Artisan ~ Heroica (survived)

DEAD CHARACTERS:

catavadead-mage.jpgKob (Kintobor) ~ 21 years old male orc Mage ~ Heroica (killed on Day One, raised as an undead on Night One but perished again on Day Three)

catavadead-mage2.jpgPauline Jillian Boyle (Purpearljellyblob) ~ 18 years old female Mopag Mage ~ Heroica (killed on Day One)

catavadead-barbarian2.jpgEzeal (Etzel) ~ 28 years old male werelion Barbarian ~ Nephilim (killed on Day Two)

catavadead-raider.jpgSkrupp Oxstrong (Scorpiox) ~ 30 years old male norseman Raider ~ Heroica (killed on Day Two)

catavadead-dragoon.jpgU’dargan (Darkdragon) ~ 29 years old male U’kin Dragoon ~ Heroica (killed on Day Two)

catavadead-rogue.jpgCalico Meatpie (CallMePie) ~ 16 years old female halfling Rogue ~ Heroica (killed on Day Three)

catavadead-ranger3.jpgDoranee Grandeur (Dragonator) ~ 44 years old female elf Ranger ~ Heroica (killed on Day Three)

catavadead-necromancer.jpgRetak Ysp (PsyKater) ~ 2013 years old male Fenarian Necromancer ~ Nephilim (killed on Day Three)

catavadead-shaman.jpgFernandu Elysiam (Fred Daniel Yam) ~ 36 years old male minotaur Shaman ~ Nephilim (killed on Day Four)

catavadead-rogue2.jpgMaxi Ebdul (Masked Builder) ~ 35 years old male Asteriad Rogue ~ Heroica (killed on Day Four)

catavadead-mysticknight.jpgShadir Oswain (Shadows) ~ 466 years old male elf Mystic Knight ~ Nephilim (killed on Day Four)

catavadead-ranger.jpgJeddam Ashenbow (Jedi master Brick) ~ 25 years old female hobgoblin Ranger ~ Heroica (killed on Night Four)

catavadead-paladin.jpgBrienne Deercourt (Brickdoctor) ~ 29 years old female human Paladin ~ Nephilim (killed on Day Five)

catavadead-cleric2.jpgCapriccia Gianpaolo (Capt.JohnPaul) ~ 123 years old female vampire Cleric ~ Heroica (killed on Night Five)

catavadead-harlot.jpgCromeo Nightingale (Chromeknight) ~ 22 years old male half-elf Harlot ~ Nephilim (killed on Night Five)

catavadead-beastwarrior.jpgKharybdis (Kadabra) ~ 26 years old female Octopial Beast Warrior ~ Heroica (killed on Night Five)

catavadead-warden.jpgCorelin Moordog (CorneliusMurdock) ~ 282 years old female dwarf Warden ~ Nephilim (killed on Day Six)

catavadead-ranger2.jpgPercival Montmartre (Peppermint_M) ~ 24 years old male human Ranger ~ Heroica (killed on Day Six)

catavadead-cleric.jpgHeron Jujube (herrJJ) ~ 19 years old male human Cleric ~ Heroica (killed on Night One, raised as an undead on Night Two but perished again on Day Three, then resurrected on Day Four but killed yet again on Night Six)

catavadead-blackknight.jpgZpilf (Flipz) ~ 85 years old male ogre Black Knight Winged Warrior ~ Nephilim (killed on Night Six)

Thank you again! Long live Heroica!

Oh, and just in case someone wonder's where I pulled off such a quirky title for the event, it's actually the name of the main theme of the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. Here's an English fan-version of the song:

Huzzah!

Thanks for hosting, Sandy! :thumbup: i can imagine this being among the most exhausting hosting experience yet in Heroica, so hats off for pulling it all off. Your photography and story telling were even better than usual, and I had an absolute blast playing - Byblo's riddles were the icing on the cake.

Only problem I had: the Heroicans were never really in danger of losing. The only thing I'd recommend is to axe magnifying glasses and Phoenix Essences, next time around.

Edited by Endgame

Great fun! I would have wished it would have been a little less serious with us getting more chance to play up our characters, but purely roleplaying posts would quickly get lost under the myriad of other posts or they would be pointed out as unhelpful, so for the most part I figured it was better to say nothing at all. Besides, being an old druid it seemed to make sense. I would have liked to learn more about some of the characters though.

Maybe Pallas will come back as my second character. :grin:

Thanks for the incredible game, Sandy! I had a lot of fun with it! Everything was extremely well done and put together, and I only wish I had had more time for it towards the end.

Wooh! Thanks a ton for hosting Sandy, it was a very impressive game! I too had a ton of fun playing.

You had a ton of fun rendering all of our actions null by constantly keeping us in a drowsy state. :sarcasm:

Thanks for the incredible game, Sandy! I had a lot of fun with it! Everything was extremely well done and put together, and I only wish I had had more time for it towards the end.

Same here. As I said, I really chose the wrong time to sign-up for a Mafia game.

Edited by Palathadric

You had a ton of fun rendering all of our actions null by constantly keeping us in a drowsy state. :sarcasm:

Yup. That's accurate. :thumbup::sweet: No need for the sarcasm emote!

Edited by Scubacarrot

Thanks for hosting this event, Sandy! I liked it much more than normal mafia, even though I died quite quickly. I guess I choose a bit too aggressive tactic for this type of game.

Relevant (large):

45efbe_4792098.jpg

Sandy, I had a blast. Thanks for hosting! I branched out early (though not to the extend I'd planned), made contacts and got involved in some behind the scenes action, a huge step up from my normal mafia showings. It was a great practice for any future mafia games as well as a ton of fun on its own merit. Having everyone able to do something each day/night was a really nice break from the norm. Some were more powerful than others, but I'd like to thoink ( :grin:) that everyone felt they were able to engage in the game and contribute more than just a vote/opinion. It felt like a natural extension of Heroica into Mafia, rather than Mafia with a Heroica theme. :thumbup:

Great job Sandy! Especially the special ending! I'm curious if this will change things in present day Heroica, knowing that the Town Watch knows about what happened?

This was (Almost) great, I think that I'll have to make sure we see more of Luridan and the rest. :wink:

This was my first Mafia-esque game on EB, and I must say, I had a lot of fun! I really enjoyed the scheme-y, backstabbing nature of it, and I'm so glad I signed up. Really well-made, Sandy! Really good job! The figs, the characters, and the pictures were of the best quality. I'm impressed.

Thanks sandy for all your hard work.

What a roller coaster!

I alternated between wildly optimistic and wildly pessimistic in the Nephilim thread.

Well played LotN, glassing me then dropping that info into the ear of someone ready to listen.

My only comment for the moment is...

Not enough killing! Moar bodies!

Thanks Sandy! And for those complaining about a lack of role playing - it's all up to you! You can make relevant posts and role play at the same time if you put your mind to it.

I had great fun, well done to everyone, especially WBD as the Heroica focal point for those 'behind the scenes' players not part of the more vocal Town block. But Sandy, there's no way Sir Rubinstein would have just walked off, maybe after he found out Asa was chosen as the replacement Veteran, but not before.

Still, gives the QMs some new cameos/NPCs to throw into Quests.

Lovely photography as always, really pleased to see the Hall actually being used. And the challenges were good too.

I am really glad I had the chance to play in the Heroica/Mafia hybrid as it was a ton of fun! It will be nice to see what changes will occur the next time around...

Great pictures and story made the already great game - excellent, thanks Sandy! :thumbup::classic:

Awesome game Sandy! :thumbup: I had fun! :classic:

Ein Surefoot

- Level: 11

- Health: 11/11

- Ether: 3/6

- Defense: 2

- Gold: 52

- Inventory: Hammer (WP:5), Axe (WP:4), Flameproof Armor (Artefact. SP:1, Immune to Fire), Shadow Cloak (Artefact. SP:1, Immune to Darkness), Potion (Consumable: restores full health to target when used.),Venom (Consumable: causes poison to the target, depleting it’s health by 1 per every phase when used.), Remedy (Consumable: removes negative effects from target when used.)

Thanks for the game, Sandy! :classic:

So...I was converted. Night Two, just as I was going on vacation and unable to get online often. I feel terrible for betraying Pie and Kadabra and swils and the rest of the core (Though it turned out that CK was a Scum, too.). :blush: Just wanted to say: All of you who were saying that I was Scum before then, you were wrong! You got me by the sheer dumb luck of the timing of the investigation! :grin:

Wow, that was such a fun game., Sandy! I had a lot of fun with it! It was pretty well thought out.. Thanks for hosting the event.

Thanks for the game, Sandy! :classic:

So...I was converted. Night Two, just as I was going on vacation and unable to get online often. I feel terrible for betraying Pie and Kadabra and swils and the rest of the core (Though it turned out that CK was a Scum, too.). :blush: Just wanted to say: All of you who were saying that I was Scum before then, you were wrong! You got me by the sheer dumb luck of the timing of the investigation! :grin:

No need to be sorry, I didn't even notice a change in your behavior. You played phenomenally. :grin: Thanks for the game, Sandy. Loads of fun! :classic::thumbup:

Thanks Sandy it was a lot of fun. The presentation was excellent, the challenges were a great addition, and the mechanics were refreshing. I'll agree that the Nephilim probably were at a disadvantage given how many Phoenix Essences we had available to us as well as how night combat worked, but they still did a good job in causing some in fighting among the town. I've got to say a congratulations to all those who were working behind the scenes with the town you did a fantastic job, we had a whole lot of actions to manage and I was always stressed out about someone being converted or a god-father in our midst, but we pulled it through to the end. :thumbup: Out of curiosity, Sandy, how would the sudden death round have worked?

No need to be sorry, I didn't even notice a change in your behavior. You played phenomenally. :grin: Thanks for the game, Sandy. Loads of fun! :classic::thumbup:

Don't you mean: "phonemonanly?" :laugh: