Sign in to follow this  
SheepEater

Why do today's Meccano/Erector fail so hard?

Nothing I've seen in stores comes even close to featuring the parts necessary to build the magnificent MOCs I've seen enthusiasts (mostly older men in their 50s - 60s) bring to in toy fairs. Huge mechanized contraptions, real steam engines, etc. Apparently in the 60s and 70s there used to be giant kits that featured all kinds of beams, gears, and interesting parts.

Nowadays it's all crappy, overpriced small toys with little to mechanisms.

When have they started sucking so hard?

Only a few years ago (about 10) they were good, it's all plastic now, there were some adult sets available I managed to sell one for someone it was awesome but it had a £2k asking price from new. Stunning to see lovely wooden box etc,,

Found this very interesting article about the subject.

http://www.nzmeccano.com/Whatsup2.php

The last comment made me lol.

I have just been trying to help my 8 year old assemble the "Push Bike" model in the "5 Model Set". Very difficult with vague instructions for only three of the five models. My sons comment.

"This is junk, I'd much rather play with my Lego." Sad but true Maccano has lost the plot.

To be honest, the last comment was probably what a lot of young kids were thinking in the 70's. Lego was just so much easier and quicker to put together - each piece could be just easily snapped in place instantly rather than taking a minute or two with spanner and screwdriver. And when technic arrived enabling the sort of engineering models in lego that were previously only possible with meccano it pretty much sealed meccanos fate. Indeed when I look at modern lego technic with its multi hole beams and lift arms, it really is not far off a plastic snap together form of meccano.

Edited by Heppeng

I grow up in the 60's and had both Meccano (originally the metal version and then subsequently the plastic systems) and Lego. The Meccano was slow to build with and unless you lock-nutted the key connections it was prone to loosening and failure. But Lego in the 60's was really, really basic in comparison to current available pieces and sets. But M and L both had their place - if I wanted something even vaguely technical, or large then M was the way to go. As Lego got more complex and sophisticated the need for a parallel system supporting gears, axles and pulleys became obsolete and M declined.

Looking at Meccano today I can't imagine anyone emerging from the Dark Ages today and going back to that system.

I used to have a Meccano set during the mid 90s. I cannot recall which set it was but it was a huge set that can build a race car with motor and gears. Then bought a upgrade set to move up the next level. Somehow I stopped after that.

After Googling turns out I bought Erector set number 3. Then bought the upgade set to No. 4.

There was lot of problems with Meccano; mainly due to the fact it is made out of metal and needs an allen key to put it together. The stainless steel parts were ok except for some of the parts where it is stained and lost its shine. For the painted metal parts if the paint goes off that part will rust. Yes, it can RUST. Same for the bolts, nuts and washers, once the protective layer is off it will rust. Also it has that metal smell which you will have on your hands after you play.

So compared to Lego Technic, Meccano isn't really that child friendly due to the nature of the parts and assembly method. But unlike Lego the gears are solid metal so there is no chance for it to bend or buckle.

Edited by paanjang16

New owners probably. Somebody took over and tried to bring Meccano up to date - and failed.

New owners probably. Somebody took over and tried to bring Meccano up to date - and failed.

Yep. It changed owners a couple of times, actually.

Erector used to be a separate company from Meccano. Nowadays Erector is just a different brand name for their products sold in the USA.

With that said, they could at least try harder.

Imagine if the Kristiansen family bought the company. They would probably replicate all the existing Technic functionality in metal. We can dream :cry_happy:

the Kristiansen family

Who's this? Some well-known business family? The name is one we have here in Norway, but I've never heard of this family.

Do they distribute Lego in Norway or something like that?

The Kristiansen family IS LEGO. :wink:

I still have the Meccano set 10 in original 4 drawer unit, made in binn road factory in Liverpool, they were better made than what it is now.

Edited by Daniel-Technic

Maybe someone here could help me make a decision.

First a bit of background. I had Meccano when I was young, in the 1960's (up to age 15 or so when I sold it).

About 15 years ago I was given a Lego Technic set, and somehow that grew to several sets..... I have many now, as well as orders from Bricklink.

But also, about 3 years ago I purchased a large quantity of 'old' Meccano from eBay (pre-1970 stuff, it wasn't ever the same after that) and made some big models.

(Just for info, I probably have about £2000 worth of each - Technic & Meccano - now).

I enjoy building in both and tend now to go in 6-month cycles of moving from one to the other.

The problem is, that because building techniques are so different, I don't feel as if I can improve enough on either of these - I am going to stay mediocre at best. Also I don't really have the storage space for both.

I'm not really after any Lego v. Meccano arguments; I know full well the pros and cons of each. But how do I decide what to concentrate on, to improve m building skills? And if I sold either, I could buy a lot more of the other!

I had clicked the "Quote" button, but it won't quote anything. The post I was responding to however was from eurotrash (post #5):

Looking at Meccano today I can't imagine anyone emerging from the Dark Ages today and going back to that system.

Just bumping this thread as I found it interesting, but with regards to someone "going back to Meccano," well the modern Meccano from the official Meccano company I can agree with this on, but with regards to the reproduction and custom Meccano one can buy from third-party sellers, one can build some incredibly complex stuff with. Basically miniature engineering. There are tons of parts available, including custom parts. Personally I like both LEGO Technic and Meccano regarding engineering-oriented constructions.

Edited by MechMan

Ok, this seems like to be the perfect forum where to ask my question...I'm thinking about a present for a 27 years old guy who's going to get a degree in engineering in a few weeks. He loves both Meccano and Lego. And helicopters. So what should I buy? Meccano Evolution helicopter 868210 or Lego Technic 9396? What's the difference?