just2good

Hero Factory 2014 Discussion

i actually liked it more for them to be stickers. i don't really like the idea of this-is-my- property type of sets, so by the name being stickers, that means i can choose to leave the cockpit blank, and use it later for another moc.

After seeing that EVERY mech will use stickers for the cockpit and the storage containers, I've been put off from buying them. :hmpf_bad: Stickers on translucent pieces are nothing but trouble. I mean, it was bad enough with doing the stickers for the canopy on Jet Rocka... But to do it for every set that focuses on a hero in a mech?

No. Just no.

At least if I decide to buy them all, I don't HAVE to have the heroes names on the cockpits or the storage containers. :tongue:

Wow. Like, you're not buying them just because of stickers?

I myself prefer it that way, more possibilities.

Now, onto the stes, I think they all look great, but the heroes' machines need special mention. Such creativity! Evo XL sure comes with a lot of handy pieces.

The beasts are probably the least appealing ones to me. Though their general design looks cool, they also seem somewhat barebones. I think this has to be with the heads consuming a lot of the budget, which is why I didn't liked the BA villains (and hence didn't buy any of them). Also, someone mentioned the lower jaw being made or rubbery, but I believe that would not be posible given there's no "lower jaw" piece. Many of you may have already noticed, but the two pieces that forms the beasts' heads may serve as both the lower and the upper part. This is clearly visible in Splitter Beast.

I love stickers when I don't want the pieces to have the design in the first place. I hate them when I do. In this case, I couldn't be happier.

Evo XL machine is looking wonderful. What worries me is that they barely brought a couple of small HF sets this year, so Evo XL might not even come here :/. Pondering very seriously in buying online ( All $$$ burned in shipping).

It seems the cockpit only works for HF figs. That is an absurdly huge fail.

Pictures appear to confirm that the spiders' carapace will be a useful armor piece in its own right.

Black skeleton torso and red minifigure head. I approve the reuse of old elements.

Close up pic with the new minifigure parts tell me the legs and hands will be useful for general purposes and the armor might be wonderful space marine armor for minifigs. Which means I will have to buy many more mechs than planned.

I really like this:

44022_evoxlmachine_11.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by vexorian

My detective super powers revealed that the owner of the Brickshelf has posted bzpower reviews in the past.

Edited by vexorian

Holy whatever-the-hell that's next to the three-headed Kaiju is. Summer wave will be awesome. I'm wondering if that weird mouth-thing is the crevice mentioned in the description, or that giant set Front mentioned. That sentence just got much more believable, and since I can see shark-like facial features on it, I'm pretty optimistic about that being a set.

I myself didn't like the idea of using the original skeleton torso at first, but now I've realized that it opens up to many possibilities of customization - the various Chima armours, for example, can be used to give the Heroes custom torsos.

Well, we'll see. One other issue with the skeleton torso these figs use is that the shoulders are higher up than the ones on the Ninjago skeleton torsos. This means armor that covers the shoulders severely limits their range of movement, except (presumably) armor like these sets have which is designed to fit over this torso's shoulders. I encountered this problem when I tried to whip up some "placeholder" Hero minifigures for a couple MOCs a while back.

Now, onto the stes, I think they all look great, but the heroes' machines need special mention. Such creativity! Evo XL sure comes with a lot of handy pieces.

The beasts are probably the least appealing ones to me. Though their general design looks cool, they also seem somewhat barebones. I think this has to be with the heads consuming a lot of the budget, which is why I didn't liked the BA villains (and hence didn't buy any of them). Also, someone mentioned the lower jaw being made or rubbery, but I believe that would not be posible given there's no "lower jaw" piece. Many of you may have already noticed, but the two pieces that forms the beasts' heads may serve as both the lower and the upper part. This is clearly visible in Splitter Beast.

Actually, the upper and lower jaws ARE different pieces. It's most apparent in the pics of Splitter Beast vs. Furno and Evo, since the two heads are built differently — one uses "jaw mold A" for its upper jaw and "jaw mold B" for its lower jaw, and the other uses "jaw mold B" for its upper jaw and "jaw mold A" for its lower jaw.

It seems the cockpit only works for HF figs. That is an absurdly huge fail.

I'm having a hard time telling for sure if that's the case. Certainly there are no connection points designed specifically for regular minifigures, since the heroes are mounted in by their armor. But their armor should fit on regular figs. So the question is, how tight is the cockpit around the heroes' hips? It should only take a bit of wiggle room for a minifigure to fit.

My brother also points out that a minifigure could be held in by the controls if all else fails.

Actually, the upper and lower jaws ARE different pieces. It's most apparent in the pics of Splitter Beast vs. Furno and Evo, since the two heads are built differently — one uses "jaw mold A" for its upper jaw and "jaw mold B" for its lower jaw, and the other uses "jaw mold B" for its upper jaw and "jaw mold A" for its lower jaw.

I think I didn't explain myself correctly, as that's what I meant to say :P They're different pieces, but both can be used as lower or upper jaw.

I'm having a hard time telling for sure if that's the case. Certainly there are no connection points designed specifically for regular minifigures, since the heroes are mounted in by their armor. But their armor should fit on regular figs. So the question is, how tight is the cockpit around the heroes' hips? It should only take a bit of wiggle room for a minifigure to fit.

Front confirmed some pages ago that a normal minifigure can be placed pretty easily on the cockpit by making it grab the controls.

Edited by Darking

I don't like the way the legs pop out of the cockpit.

It seems there's an open balljoint on Evo XL just under to cockpit. It may be possible to put some cladding on there to cover the feet.

It seems there's an open balljoint on Evo XL just under to cockpit. It may be possible to put some cladding on there to cover the feet.

Actually, Evo XL Machine is the only one of the machines that doesn't automatically include a section to tuck the feet into. Yet another feature of Furno Jet Machine that I think is quite elegant. You're right that you might be able to add an armor piece like that to Evo XL Machine with some slight modding.

Front confirmed some pages ago that a normal minifigure can be placed pretty easily on the cockpit by making it grab the controls.

I think you need to read it again. I was talking about the fit of the Hero figures in the seats.

I think you need to read it again. I was talking about the fit of the Hero figures in the seats.

then how about normal minifig?

Honestly, I don't see why normal figs wouldn't work. They would need to wear the armor as that's what's hooking them on, but still. It seems like it should work.

Honestly, I don't see why normal figs wouldn't work. They would need to wear the armor as that's what's hooking them on, but still. It seems like it should work.

They don't even need to wear the armour to fit in the cockpit - all they have to do is hold the controls, right? The controls are moveable, after all, so they can be easily adjusted to fit the angle of minifigs' hands.

agreed with lockon. the minifigs can just grab the controls, and that should be enough to hold them in. just like how they design kai's fire mech cockpit.

Just because a minifig's arms could match up with the handles doesn't mean they can still fit in the seat. Don't forget these are using custom legs and arms made specifically for the purpose of fitting in these cockpits.

oh well. this means we have to wait until someone does the review to find out if a normal minifig can be seated there or not. to anybody here who's gonna do the review, make sure to not forget this.

Wow, Evo XL machine looks GREAT irl. The legs, as I predicted, convey the mech feel perfectly. The whole thing looks so chunky and powerful, and Dat gear function :cry_happy: This may even be my favourite HF titan yet, but as I obviously don't own it (or, indeed, have dragon bolt yet), time will tell...

Also, REALY hoping for a huge titan Kaiju this summer, the three headed guy, or the massive shark thing behind him ( I suspect the latter may even be a playset).

Evo XL Machine has grown on me... I think that it might be the first 2014 on the heroes' side that I'll buy and build. :wub:

As for the others, I'll get all of them except for Splitter Beast. :tongue: To me, Splitter Beast is not worth £15 when compared to other sets that we've had in that size. :hmpf_bad:

What's the Euro conversion rate for prices on these sets?

Small->10$

Medium->15$

Splitter->20$

Evo XL->25$

What's the Euro conversion rate for prices on these sets?

Small->10$

Medium->15$

Splitter->20$

Evo XL->25$

Aren't those the UK prices?