just2good

Hero Factory 2014 Discussion

I was referring to Leewan's post (admittely, I wasn't very clear):

Bulk Breakout hadn't FF missiles... Jet Rocka, though, have some of them. But the missiles being on the jectpack and not on Rocka himself, I'm not sure if it really counts. x)

EDIT : Here's a list of the flick fire missiles-equipped Hero Factory sets.

Sets with flick fire missiles first appeared in 2013- it just confirms, to me, how gimmicky and weak most 2013 sets were. Only Surge's jetpack handled the missiles tastefully, keeping the feeling of a fighter jet. So, I hope the missiles on Evo XL Machine aren't as obvious as in sets like BA Stormer. That Technic laucher on his back was just ugly.

On another note, I forgot to comment on Jaw Beast. Sleek mantis-like claws on what seems to be a brute like character are..unexcepted, but interesting. I wonder what pieces they use- Rocka blades? Something new? Maybe the same pieces used for Splitter Beast' scythe..

On another note, I forgot to comment on Jaw Beast. Sleek mantis-like claws on what seems to be a brute like character are..unexcepted, but interesting.

Makes me think of that one Kaiju from Pacific Rim. The crab one from Hong Kong.

I haven't seen the movie, unfortunately (though I would like to). I know the general story, however- and I wouldn't be surprised if Lego took inspiration.

I was referring to Leewan's post (admittely, I wasn't very clear):

Sets with flick fire missiles first appeared in 2013- it just confirms, to me, how gimmicky and weak most 2013 sets were. Only Surge's jetpack handled the missiles tastefully, keeping the feeling of a fighter jet. So, I hope the missiles on Evo XL Machine aren't as obvious as in sets like BA Stormer. That Technic laucher on his back was just ugly.

How are flick fires any more gimmicky than the previous year's plasma guns? If anything, I think it's a sign of innovation that instead of standardized, specialized launchers given to every hero, launcher features were only incorporated in the Brain Attack sets as character-specific gear with launchers built differently according to the specific characters. Believe me, I found most of the Breakout heroes a LOT more interesting than their Brain Attack counterparts, but the flick missiles have nothing to do with that judgement.

I don't think Bulk's flick missile was very elegant, but it definitely made the drill more interesting than if it had just been the drill piece on its own (if the flick missile were to be removed, something else would certainly have to be put in its place). And Stormer's shoulder-mounted flick missiles were very clever, in my opinion. Even Surge's flick missiles added an extra level of visual and functional interest to his fold-out wing pack. The only flick missiles that I think were extremely underwhelming were the ones on Jet Rocka, since the jetpack would still be very well-armed without them and they don't add a whole lot to it visually.

Flick missiles are also a remarkably useful building element for constraction models, so as a MOCist, having more is never a bad thing. Honestly, I was surprised that it took until this year's Chima constraction sets for them to be used in sets as an adapter between the 3.2mm holes in Hero Factory shells and Technic pin holes.

Edited by Aanchir

I tend to prefer plasma guns (or any sphere shooter in general) over flick-fire missile, but it's just because I think they are more efficient, and much cooler than small missiles. :grin:

Flick missiles are also a remarkably useful building element for constraction models, so as a MOCist, having more is never a bad thing. Honestly, I was surprised that it took until this year's Chima constraction sets for them to be used in sets as an adapter between the 3.2mm holes in Hero Factory shells and Technic pin holes.

They are not only useful for constraction, I don't remember who, but someone (maybe Front) once said that this part is the only one to have a stud, a technic pin, and a 3,2mm shaft, which can be useful for any kind of MOCs, and not only for our beloved Action Figures. x)

Also, back on topic, I agree with Shakar about Jaw Beast, mantis-like arms is weird. It's like... I don't know, Carapar with Takadox's arms ?

Edited by Leewan

Honestly, I'd probably have more issue with the flick missiles if they were obtrusive. I think the only set in which they would fall under that category was BA Stormer, and even then, I don't think they were terribly handled.

I'm just grateful we had one year without Thornax launchers being present in sets (although I guess Jet Rocka kinda ruined that), and that they took the opportunity to try new things, like flick missiles and functions. Even if some of them weren't handled properly, I'm glad they tried.

HOWEVER... I will agree that the entirety of BA could be described as gimmicky. It seems as if every set was trying to scrape up a different gimmick to make up for the lack of a projectile weapon. I personally start cracking up whenever I see a promotional blurb about Aquagon with his swords combining being advertised as a function, considering how laughably bad it looks IRL.

Edited by Mesonak

All of you are right. Trying new things out is always good, but now that they finally found a good looking launcher (the plasma gun), seeing it disappearing for a whole year (save for Jet Rocka) felt like a wasted opportunity. And I can't make myself like flick missiles, I'm afraid. Unlike the plasma gun, which looks like a proper weapon like any sword, shield, etc, the missiles look like obvious "hey, play with it!" features..like the red button on DB's back. The obvious toy element that distracts from the flow of the model. I realize these sets are mainly built for kids, so my opinion doesn't matter much..though to tell the truth, I never liked flick/spring missiles as a kid either- but that's just me.

HOWEVER... I will agree that the entirety of BA could be described as gimmicky. IRL.

Definitely! I don't think the "play functions" were handled well, except on Dragon Bolt. I liked his.

The sets will always be meant for kids. We can always make revamps or mods with less obvious play features.

Makes me think of that one Kaiju from Pacific Rim. The crab one from Hong Kong.

Onibaba. I make it a habit of knowing these things.

If the set looks anything like him, I'll be pleased. And if Flyer Beast is essentially Otachi, I'll be extra pleased.

Also, I've been thinking. I want the minifig Heroes to used a flat, round stud with an 'H' logo for the Hero Core. I'm pretty sure this is the route they'll take if the Heroes incorporate shoulder armor pieces. Plus it'd be kinda cool to have a mini Hero Core.

EDIT: Pacific Rim comes out on DVD on Tuesday. What are the chances we'll get pictures of the sets on the same date?

Edited by Kalhiki

Not to derail the good discussion on the merits flick-fire inclusion, but it would be better placed in the 2013 Hero Factory discussion topic. :sweet:

My bad! I started talking about missiles but then I derailed the conversation into a 2013 discussion. Sorry. :sad:

Also, back on topic, I agree with Shakar about Jaw Beast, mantis-like arms is weird. It's like... I don't know, Carapar with Takadox's arms ?

Yes! That's a great comparison. When Corydoras described Jaw Beast I begun thinking about the monsters in Rock Raiders and Power Miners...so a short (it's a small size set afterall), stout, brutish guy came to mind. Reading that he has mantis blades really surprised me.

Just googled Otachi. Sily me- I focused on the "fly" on flyer beast, always thinking about an insect villain a la Thornraxx/Waspix, but "Flyer" might very well be a non insect. :laugh: The fact that FB is yellow (like Waspix) and fights with Breez (like Thornraxx did, or so we were told) clouded my judgement.

If it's anything like Otachi, I wonder if it uses Razar/Eris style wings. Like a giant, unholy, mutant bird/reptile/whatever beast.

Do you remember anything about Rocka Stealth Machine (gold one)?

Not much, sadly.

On another note, I forgot to comment on Jaw Beast. Sleek mantis-like claws on what seems to be a brute like character are..unexcepted, but interesting. I wonder what pieces they use- Rocka blades? Something new? Maybe the same pieces used for Splitter Beast' scythe..

I have no idea. Splitter's scythe is a bit undersized for this massive guy (unless he splits into two creatures as I hope) and looks like its blade is made from at least two pieces - but I may be wrong.

My bad! I started talking about missiles but then I derailed the conversation into a 2013 discussion. Sorry. :sad:

Yes! That's a great comparison. When Corydoras described Jaw Beast I begun thinking about the monsters in Rock Raiders and Power Miners...so a short (it's a small size set afterall), stout, brutish guy came to mind. Reading that he has mantis blades really surprised me.

Just googled Otachi. Sily me- I focused on the "fly" on flyer beast, always thinking about an insect villain a la Thornraxx/Waspix, but "Flyer" might very well be a non insect. :laugh: The fact that FB is yellow (like Waspix) and fights with Breez (like Thornraxx did, or so we were told) clouded my judgement.

If it's anything like Otachi, I wonder if it uses Razar/Eris style wings. Like a giant, unholy, mutant bird/reptile/whatever beast.

Flyer Beast reminds me of an upgraded, sleeker 8105 Iron Condor. It even has a cannon on his right arm like the Condor. The red hero mech is like a bulkier 8111 River Dragon (rotors on top). Splitter Beast is like a cross between the Balrog and the Rockbiter (two heads?). The Jaw Beast reminds me of the Cloverfield monster (arms seemingly longer than legs). Speaking of Cloverfield... Anyone remembers the parasites? What if the bug minions are something like this for the giant villains?

Thanks for the answers as always, Corydoras! I like how you're comparing the sets to EF.

So Flyer Beast is a winged humanoid? Those sound like a lot of pieces for a set, then again Razar and Eris pulled it off. Furno Jet Machine, due to the rotors, reminds me of Furno's Breakout form (though the rotor pieces had another purpose of course).

I hope the cannons you are describing are plasma guns. Either way, all sets sound cool. So much more techy than 2013 sets- I prefer waves like these, like Breakout or OoF.

Hm. I can live with those descriptions. Though I'm not sure about the Flyer beast/Iron Condor comparison. I think I'd rather have a more animalistic looking character. I guess I'll just have to wait for pictures to make a final opinion.

Honestly, on another note, I'm seeing a lot of MoCs coming out of this wave. Fan made Mechs and Kaiju probability is high.

Hm. I can live with those descriptions. Though I'm not sure about the Flyer beast/Iron Condor comparison. I think I'd rather have a more animalistic looking character. I guess I'll just have to wait for pictures to make a final opinion.

Honestly, on another note, I'm seeing a lot of MoCs coming out of this wave. Fan made Mechs and Kaiju probability is high.

i already made one.

I can see the body/cockpit of the mechas becoming popular as mecha frames for sci-fi/space fans.

yeah, hopefully this wave would unite constraction fans with sci-fi fans. maybe that's what lego try to aim.

Yeah, I think Lego is trying to attract sci-fi fans who don't like HF. Constraction world has always been a closed one, let's face it- while nowhere as bad as it used to be, most AFOLs still have a hard time accepting HF and its predecessors (BIONICLE, etc..) as "real Lego", and I think some kids think that way too.

I don't except these sets to make those people change their mind (CCBS obviously can't, and isn't meant to, replace bricks), but I do except some of them, the more open minded ones, to be won over.

I wonder if this piece will be showing up in Hero Factory, Chima, or another theme entirely. It's the same as the saw blade used for Breez and XT4, but in Tr. Light Blue.

So a piece in a colour not relased (yet), in Lego's Replacement Service database? IIRC that already happened before.

Either way, that piece sounds really interesting. Probably Evo XL Machine uses it- since BA Evo used tr. light blue.