just2good

Hero Factory 2014 Discussion

Hopefully next year Lego steers away from media and makes better sets and distributes them more effectively. Where I live, there are NO 2014 Technic sets and the entire TRU is like a TLM wasteland. I did see HF, but there were only a couple sets and overall it was sparse.

Retailers order sets from LEGO, LEGO doesn't send them unsolicited. They have to order them. If your TRU doesn't have certain sets, that is the fault of that store's distribution center- not LEGO.

Hopefully next year Lego steers away from media and makes better sets and distributes them more effectively. Where I live, there are NO 2014 Technic sets and the entire TRU is like a TLM wasteland. I did see HF, but there were only a couple sets and overall it was sparse.

That's not likely to happen. Do you know why Toys R Us devotes so much space to The Lego Movie sets? It's because they're some of the best selling Lego sets in years specifically because of the media tie-in. Like it or not, media tie-ins sell sets, which is ironically a lesson Lego learned from Bionicle.

Technic has always been a niche product (especially in the U.S. and to a certain degree most countries other than Germany). It's entirely possible that your Toys R Us is delaying the Technic sets until the Lego Movie hype has died down.

That's not likely to happen. Do you know why Toys R Us devotes so much space to The Lego Movie sets? It's because they're some of the best selling Lego sets in years specifically because of the media tie-in. Like it or not, media tie-ins sell sets, which is ironically a lesson Lego learned from Bionicle.

Technic has always been a niche product (especially in the U.S. and to a certain degree most countries other than Germany). It's entirely possible that your Toys R Us is delaying the Technic sets until the Lego Movie hype has died down.

I'm fine with LEGO movie sets, just not if they're taking up more "space" than they should.

I'm fine with LEGO movie sets, just not if they're taking up more "space" than they should.

as darth vader has said, lego only send sets according to retailer's orders. so if you think TLM taking more space than they should on TRU, it just means that the definition of "more space" is different between you and TRU.

My TRU is fine. Has all the sets. It's Walmart and Target that's the problem. Walmart has I think the Jet and XL machines and Splitter Beast. Target pretty much only has the mechs.

I'm sure in time that'll change as they order more shipments. Doesn't matter that much to me since I have the sets already. But still, it's kind of annoying to see such a small selection.

In other news Brickset just reviewed the Breez polybag. Apparently it's out on some online store for free with a particular order. Can't wait until it's more widely available.

Actually, not all TRU's do their own Lego set ordering. Contrary to what Mr. Know it all says, TRU in some cases simply has a vendor for lego come in and they stock the shelves with what Lego wants there because TRU and lego have special arrangements to carry certain things first or exclusively. Technic won't be sold anywhere else in the US now. I've found this out through speaking with the several people I've met while lurking TRU for new set and this is what I was told. It might not hold true for some store, probably even many, but in my region that's how the new sets are distributed, Lego directly makes sure those sets make it onto the shelves when they want by having vendors come in and stock the lego sections. Then after that restock comes on the trucks with all the other stock for TRU and overnight restocks. As far as I know TRU is the only North American store it does this with. I worked at Target over the holiday season and we'd just get sets in like regular stock.

Oh, I should also mention that I worked at TRU during the holiday season back in 2006, but I only ever worked swing shift, so I never did any of the overnight and back end stuff, just worked the floor during the psychotic part of the year.

Edited by 3rdeye88

The back armor for the Breez mini-mech is a nice touch. I would have preferred a windscreen (so I could finish my Breez Mech MOC), but as polybags go it's perfect.

Actually, not all TRU's do their own Lego set ordering. Contrary to what Mr. Know it all says, TRU in some cases simply has a vendor for lego come in and they stock the shelves with what Lego wants there because TRU and lego have special arrangements to carry certain things first or exclusively. Technic won't be sold anywhere else in the US now. I've found this out through speaking with the several people I've met while lurking TRU for new set and this is what I was told. It might not hold true for some store, probably even many, but in my region that's how the new sets are distributed, Lego directly makes sure those sets make it onto the shelves when they want by having vendors come in and stock the lego sections. Then after that restock comes on the trucks with all the other stock for TRU and overnight restocks. As far as I know TRU is the only North American store it does this with. I worked at Target over the holiday season and we'd just get sets in like regular stock.

Oh, I should also mention that I worked at TRU during the holiday season back in 2006, but I only ever worked swing shift, so I never did any of the overnight and back end stuff, just worked the floor during the psychotic part of the year.

There's no need for insults. The only reason I specified HIS Toys R Us is because I don't know what country he's in or whether his situation is the case in other Toys R Us locations (I've been into one locally myself but I didn't remember whether the Technic sets were available). Rather than extrapolate to the entirety of Toys R Us (since for all I know his local one could have simply run out of Technic sets), I limited my assessment to that member's specific situation.

I never claimed that the possibility I suggested was the only possibility, nor did I claim that anyone else's assessment was invalid. I was just pointing out that the chances of Lego halting its focus on media tie-ins next year are slim to none given their history of success. So next time I'd appreciate it if you kept your cheeky comments to yourself.

There's no need for insults. The only reason I specified HIS Toys R Us is because I don't know what country he's in or whether his situation is the case in other Toys R Us locations (I've been into one locally myself but I didn't remember whether the Technic sets were available). Rather than extrapolate to the entirety of Toys R Us (since for all I know his local one could have simply run out of Technic sets), I limited my assessment to that member's specific situation.

I never claimed that the possibility I suggested was the only possibility, nor did I claim that anyone else's assessment was invalid. I was just pointing out that the chances of Lego halting its focus on media tie-ins next year are slim to none given their history of success. So next time I'd appreciate it if you kept your cheeky comments to yourself.

I think by "Mr. Know-It-All" 3rdeye88 was referring to Darth Vader, not you. Doesn't make the name-calling any less rude or petty, of course, but at least his random grudge is not directed your way.

I think by "Mr. Know-It-All" 3rdeye88 was referring to Darth Vader, not you. Doesn't make the name-calling any less rude or petty, of course, but at least his random grudge is not directed your way.

Aanchir's right it wasn't directed at you. My apologies, I should have been more specific. I was indeed referring to Darth Vader's comment about stores ordering sets. In my region of the US(central California) at least, a distributor comes and handles the lego department of the store. I ask the TRU employees when the new sets are coming in, and they just shrug and say "someone comes in and stocks the new sets" So in probability, yeah it is kinda lego's fault TLM is taking up so much space. But Lynchir is right, that's cause they're selling like crazy right now. And I assume wave 2 comes along when the DVD comes out. Its a brilliant marketing strategy. One of the things lego definitely nailed on the head.

And you're Right Aanchir, it is. I stopped giving a crap about being polite when you guys didn't want to drop the subject and move on.

Is this what being raised in the DA fandom does? You are not friendly and you should not be surprised people are responding to you harshly. I am glad I skipped that segment of the fandom- clearly home to less polite discourse and the mocing community is subpar.

LEGO does have a vendor stock shelves at TRU, but set availability and stock amounts are directed by TRU. Big city and high-volume stores get more product, and the rest get spread out based on sales forecasts. You are right about the special arrangement, though small technic sets are available at all retail stores at their own discretion. Often stores just order one case assortment which comes with just a few of the sets available in a line.

(By the way, I worked three years for a Target where I worked split shifts between back room and Starbucks,)

Distribution has been spotty at my local stores, each one only getting some of the wave in, it's been annoying to find all together. =/

Hopefully the local retailers will get their act together in time for the summer wave.

(That said my distribution problems are pretty petty compared to some folks here, so maybe I should count myself lucky!)

Edited by CabooseBM

That still doesn't make it LEGO's fault.

even if it's not completely their fault, they still delayed the release of Hf and Technic by themselves.

Is this what being raised in the DA fandom does? You are not friendly and you should not be surprised people are responding to you harshly. I am glad I skipped that segment of the fandom- clearly home to less polite discourse and the mocing community is subpar.

LEGO does have a vendor stock shelves at TRU, but set availability and stock amounts are directed by TRU. Big city and high-volume stores get more product, and the rest get spread out based on sales forecasts. You are right about the special arrangement, though small technic sets are available at all retail stores at their own discretion. Often stores just order one case assortment which comes with just a few of the sets available in a line.

(By the way, I worked three years for a Target where I worked split shifts between back room and Starbucks,)

No its got nothing to do with DA, Actually quite the contrary. DA is a very friendly site for MOCers cause no one scribbles on your photos with "this needs fixing" or "I don't like this here" shoving their opinions around like its fact. We for the most part use words like "I suggest," and "I think" meaning, "its our opinion." What you're seeing is purely me being me. Jon Stewart said it best. "I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." I'm also not going to pretend to be someone I'm not. What you see is what you get. And instead of keeping my thoughts and opinions to myself so people like me, I'm going to be honest with myself and be honest with you.

So please, don't go judging the whole community just because of one person from there who happens to be very different than most anyone else who's active there.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/254/8/0/bionicle_moc___byorak_3_3_by_alex_darkrai-d6lwjdx.png

http://fav.me/d4kr6ei"]http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/217/0/e/bionicle_moc__matteo_by_3rdeye88-d4kr6ei.jpg

This is the second of two of my MOCs to receive a Daily Deviation, the first being Mototaur.

http://fav.me/d2uvtr2"]http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/027/d/f/bionicle_moc__robot_unicorn_by_rahiden-d2uvtr2.jpg

This was Aiden's first MOC to get a DD, the second one being his swordfish.

Go on, tell everyone how sub par we are. This completely affirms my attitude. People are going to judge you regardless of how you act, so you might as well be yourself, and let them judge you for who you really are, not pretend so people like this pretend to like you. DV thinks he knows what its like on DA and what I'm like overall, based on one aspect of interacting with me. Who are you to judge anyone? How incredibly conceited of you.

Isn't lego exclusively selling technic at TRU now? Coulda sworn I read an article on Brickset about that. :shrug: I'm just going off of what I was told by several vendors I was fortunate to talk to and who were nice enough to let me pick their brains while they stocked shelves. At least I know its tentative information and don't try to hand it down as scripture.

*chuckles* I worked the backroom to. It sucked.

Edited by VBBN
Please refrain from posting such large photos-try to keep sizes near 800x600 or smaller

even if it's not completely their fault, they still delayed the release of Hf and Technic by themselves.

That's very true, but to be honest that was probably the best for all the lines involved, considering the movie's smash success could easily cannibalize the sales of the lower-selling HF and Technic stuff. I could see the big retailers(Read: Not Toys'R'Us) passing over those lines in favor of more movie product.

Edited by CabooseBM

Guess what? Someone found the press guide! Sadly, the more translucent cocoons appear to be the finalized ones. That's not the worst thing. The red cocoons are some horrible maroon shade, from the looks of it. Oh well, at least the prices are reasonable.

http://fc07.devianta...rai-d6lwjdx.png

http://fav.me/d4kr6e...e88-d4kr6ei.jpg

This is the second of two of my MOCs to receive a Daily Deviation, the first being Mototaur.

As I said- a subpar community. I don't know when that was built, but it is stuck in the style the rest of the greater community moved on from in 2007. That's probably harsher than I really intend, but the conversation on DA's place in the BIONICLE/Constraction figure MOCing world (last place) isn't really relevant to the conversation here.

As for Technic distribution, small technic sets have been sold under the creator umbrella for a few years now to get around the TRU deal, though I've definitely found the smaller technic sets with "technic" labeled on them.

Distribution has a lot of factors behind it, but the number one factor isn't on TLG's end- it is on the retailer end.

Edited by Darth Vader

Guess what? Someone found the press guide! Sadly, the more translucent cocoons appear to be the finalized ones. That's not the worst thing. The red cocoons are some horrible maroon shade, from the looks of it. Oh well, at least the prices are reasonable.

It it online? Do you have a link to it?

Yup, and, while I don't want to link to it directly for fear of it being removed, I can send you the link via PM if you want. If you look on other parts of Eurobricks, you should be able to find it anyway.

Not much to see, really, although I may be wrong about the maroon if the color of the Combat Machine's missiles are anything to go by.

Edited by DraikNova

I'd like the press guide ehem.

Don't think it's against the rules I guess, I mean, as long as you don't put it in tags. Like leaked pictures.

Brickset posted a review with images of a rare Hero Factory polybag.

"It's currently very rare: it's not even listed at BrickLink yet and I can't find any on eBay. However, you can get hold of it for free from Toy Hub Direct when you spend over £15 on HERO Factory sets."

The review: http://brickset.com/article/10655

Images can also be seen on the Brickset flickr page.