just2good

Hero Factory 2014 Discussion

there is also possibility that the one with VS is actually two separate sets, which makes more sense.

If this is the case, why aren't there more sets numbers ? We have Furno, Stormer, Rocka, Breez, Evo, Evo XL, Spliitter Beast, Flying Beast, and Jaw Beast, which makes nine separate characters, for eight sets. Even with this theory, a set with two characters is "needed".

Anyways, this list is very mysterious, and I hope it will be true (especially the machines with the heroes), because that would mean that the Lego designers are still able to surprise me (us ?), which is an awesome perspective (unless we find out that sets are badly designed :D), I think.

EDIT : Oh, I think I know why Stringer and Nex were absent this year, and will probably be next year. On the s@h (at least in France), they are still on sale, along with Voltix (well, I just checked, and Stringer is sold out, but Nex and Voltix are still avalible).

Edited by Leewan

"That sort of thing?" It's Lego, not BDSM. :P

What if the "vehicle-Hero" sets are... transformers? I don't know how they could pull it off though.

you mean like, bioformers? if that's the case, then i really curious about it now.

EDIT : Oh, I think I know why Stringer and Nex were absent this year, and will probably be next year. On the s@h (at least in France), they are still on sale, along with Voltix (well, I just checked, and Stringer is sold out, but Nex and Voltix are still avalible).

Rather a coincidence, I think. Shouldn't 2013 set design already have started long before any sale numbers for individual sets, especially summer sets, were known?

-Gata signoff.png

Production always starts at least a year before the actual release. Proof is that some pieces like Furno's Brain Attack helmet is marked as Copyright @2012. Wouldn't make sense if they did the sets based on sales.

It would great if heroes could transform, that secondary function from Nuva and Metru toa was always a kool idea.

Also sad to hear sales are low for nex and stringer, but wouldn't they need to return for the second wave of 2014? I mean bulk and surge would have to be...

A new Breez and Furno are certainly welcome, as overused the latter one may be. The ones I own (I like...mixing various versions of a Hero to create the ideal one for me) badly need some updating.

I wanted to use the helmet+visor for each Hero, but Furno XL's is too big (try putting it on a mid-size figure. It looks ridiculous!), Breez's silver helmet doesn't fit with her Breakout colours, Bulk's is too small for his Breakout form, and Rocka's looks very plain compared to his Breakout helmet. At the end, only Stormer, Surge and Evo got Brain Attack helmet: those 3 looked great in size, colour, and closeness to the character.

I thought that 2014 Heroes should reuse the Brain Attack Helmets, but thinking of it I wouldn't like that, since I used only 3/7. But, my personal feelings aside, reusing those pieces seems like the best choice to me, otherwise the new head would be half wasted, I think. They can't return to 2.0 or 1.0/Breakout, so they might as well reuse the 2013 helmets, which clearly show a lot of thought and care put on them.

So, in realistic terms, reuse the Brain Attack helmets+lime green recolour of Breez's+smaller redesign of Furno's.

Well, a rant on helmets. Didn't see that coming. Yet I do it every year. :blush:

One thing I contemplated last year is that the Brain Attack helmets could be reused next year, but instead of visors, they could have unique accessories like the 2.0 wave had. It's not especially likely, but it was just a thought regarding how the versatility of those helmets could be expanded. If that does happen, a Bright Yellowish Green version of Breez's helmet would be a nice treat, though I'm personally quite happy it exists in Silver Metallic — it's much more versatile that way, and being one of the most explicitly feminine masks in existence, more versatility for MOCs is a very good thing.

Regarding the question that comes up every time about "why does ______ get an XL form?"... it's same reason as always: because the designers thought it would make a cool or popular toy. It has NOTHING to do with whether a hero "deserves" such a form. It's not a special reward for certain characters. It's just a way of diversifying sizes and price points, just like how we have had small and mid-size heroes since 2012.

An Evo XL will be cool in my book simply because we haven't had a big yellow set since BIONICLE, and because I figure Evo will look epic as an XL character. A Breez XL would also be epic (I've tried designing one on LDD, to little avail), but there are some more complications there, not least of which is that she's a female character. With a decidedly feminine physique, she might not sell as well, while giving her a generic pumped-up masculine physique at a scale that allows for greater freedom would be a major disappointment.

Anyway, I can't disagree with Chro's theory that the "Vs." names might just be based on catalog images or misinterpreted captions. I think it's highly implausible that each of the "Vs." sets would have two or three full-size characters in it.

The other, absolutely ridiculous possibility is that the characters WILL be smaller and will be based on the new ball joints in the Mixels. I'd love to see those ball-and-socket joints in other themes. But that would be bittersweet if it means the CCBS that has been so brilliantly engineered over the past several years becomes obsolete. It would also seem like a tremendously risky move if it meant the new sets would not be as compatible with older sets as with each other. In one of Advance's behind-the-scenes videos about the Hero Factory theme, "multiple sizes of ball joints" was even included on a list of "ways to #### up the building system" (no joke).

The other, absolutely ridiculous possibility is that the characters WILL be smaller and will be based on the new ball joints in the Mixels. I'd love to see those ball-and-socket joints in other themes. But that would be bittersweet if it means the CCBS that has been so brilliantly engineered over the past several years becomes obsolete. It would also seem like a tremendously risky move if it meant the new sets would not be as compatible with older sets as with each other. In one of Advance's behind-the-scenes videos about the Hero Factory theme, "multiple sizes of ball joints" was even included on a list of "ways to #### up the building system" (no joke).

Did they seriously use the word I'm thinking of?

-Gata signoff.png

On the helmets+2.0 style gear: I've been thinking about this for a while actually, glad I wasn't the only one with that idea in mind. I don't think it's unlikely, the helmets are there, the heads too, it's just that new gear pieces would have to be designed instead of the usual helmet pieces.

And I agree on the XL. There needs to be a large good guy set each year to balance the large bad guy. XL are the perfect excuse to do that, and nothing more.

I agree Evo XL has the potential to be awesome. He's a guy I could see with a Stormer XL-esque build, too- while his last two forms used narrow bodies and his BA form was fairly slim, Evo was a pretty bulky guy in 2011, his job was heavy artillery IIRC. Plus, his helmets have always been strong looking, unlike the "softer" helmets of Surge or Nex.

I can see him with a strong body and special weapons: he's supposed to be the weapons master afterall, though it seems the designers kinda forgot that. But I guess the variety of his weapons has always been hindered by Evo always being pegged at the 9 Euro price point. With a higher , he should be able to show his full potential.

And..I didn't think about Mixels. I'm not a huge fan of those myself. Using those joints would kill the modularity and interconnectivity, which are the basis of any Lego theme/line. So no thanks. I'm curious how the VS issue will be solved though.

Obviously not going to happen, but I'd be hoping for something like this out of an Evo XL set.

I think that the Mixels joints could be used well as fingers or something... maybe tentacles or a tail for more animalistic villains?

Fake and quite old I'm afraid. Those were posted before the second breakout wave I think. either way they aren't real( they may even have showed up on this site before XD)

These pics were made by our very own Brickthing, so basically, yes, these are fake. :grin:

you mean like, bioformers? if that's the case, then i really curious about it now.

Forgot to reply to this, but yes, something like Bioformers, but with new special pieces of course (eg a cockpit for Furno).

Of course it's just speculation, what I'm sure about is that they won't be 30 Euro vehicle+rider sets, nor 9/13 Euro standalone vehicle sets. Both would be market suicides on Lego's part.

Unless they're vehicles with minifigures. But THAT is even crazier than Aanchir's Mixel idea.

Obviously not going to happen, but I'd be hoping for something like this out of an Evo XL set.

I think that the Mixels joints could be used well as fingers or something... maybe tentacles or a tail for more animalistic villains?

if that is your hope, then i'm afraid it'll be crushed instanly.

and about the mixels joints, i agree with you. those piece could even be used as a jumper to include a few of system parts in the set. if the end result is good, then why not?

Forgot to reply to this, but yes, something like Bioformers, but with new special pieces of course (eg a cockpit for Furno).

Of course it's just speculation, what I'm sure about is that they won't be 30 Euro vehicle+rider sets, nor 9/13 Euro standalone vehicle sets. Both would be market suicides on Lego's part.

Unless they're vehicles with minifigures. But THAT is even crazier than Aanchir's Mixel idea.

vehicles with minifigures? those are actually what i had in mind. they already did it once with bionicle, remember? tough, what i had in mind is actually a mech with minifigures.

Edited by bacem

Well this list is... interesting. It has potential to be awesome.

Wait, maybe the "machines" are normal priced sets to add on the heroes! Maybe new pieces that hinge around normal bone pieces.

:classic:

The "vs." sets couldn't be two different sets, as that would mess up the set numbers.

I have doubts about the minifigures. Judging on the short two-year run of the playsets (some countries like Germany didn't even get the 2007 playsets) make it quite unlikely, not to mention it would be quite against the spirit of Hero Factory.

-Gata signoff.png

I remember when I was 9 years old and I wanted a 2005 playset so badly. And I had waken up at 6 o'clock at Christmas and built that one on my own. Oh.. good times. So much fun. It was Visorak Battleram as I remember. Anyway, selling two figures in one box is quite good idea but It might make sales a little lower. Some parents/people won't buy a set for example for 20$ because it will be to pricy.

I highly doubt we're getting playsets and I hope we never do. I have a feeling these Vs sets could include full sized figures. It's definitely possible to do, and if it happens, less individual sets to track down.

Fake and quite old I'm afraid. Those were posted before the second breakout wave I think. either way they aren't real( they may even have showed up on this site before XD)

Good to know. I'm glad they won't be going back to the 2.0 heads.

I'm also thinking that these "machines" are really just 40-60 pieced armor sets to combine with the given hero in the "vs" sets.

But it all depends on how much the "vs" waves will contain.

I'm also thinking that these "machines" are really just 40-60 pieced armor sets to combine with the given hero in the "vs" sets.

But it all depends on how much the "vs" waves will contain.

Not gonna happen. Why do you think vehicle-only sets have never been made? Kids want something you can open, build, and play with immediately. It's the same reason System sets feature minifigs from both sides of the ongoing conflict the theme is about. The average buyer wants instant-action.

System lines can afford to occasionally make accessory/expansion packs, like the Ninjago Booster packs, but those are low priced compared to the cheapest HF sets..they're like impulse sets of sorts. Plus, they do feature some instant play elements, eg the minifig and the weapons.

Some of the Racer sets were vehicles without pilots, but HF markets people who are interested in characters, not those type of things.

My guess is that the "Machines" sets will be something like BA Surge and his Jetpack. Not exactly, but similar concept where it's a hero figure with the machine.

What would be neat is if the machines were easily interchangeable. Say they used the wide shoulder torso on all the Heroes, and the Machine attached to the inner-shoulder ball joints. That way they could be easily popped off and attached to a different figure. And, in my opinion, this would be a good route for Lego to take. That way buyers (kids, more so) would want to get more than one "Machine" set so they could swap out the attachments.

If that's the case, this wave would be pretty cool.

Kalhiki