Jan

Chance to buy NXT 8527 set, some questions

As the title allready mentions, I have the chance to buy an complete but used nxt 1 set 8527 for around 100 euro.

I know that EV3 is out now, but that simply doesn't fit my budget.

Before I want to buy it I have some questions (many of the questions I have seen coming by in the last years, but simply can't find them using the search engine)

- Is it correct that when you compare the sets 8527 an the nxt 2 8547 the only differences are the sensors, some additional technic pieces for building purposes, and the software that comes with the brick?

- is it possible to update the brick form 8527 to the same software and state as the 8547? (I have seen a nxt2.0 iso image on the helppages)

- is this a payed upgrade, I did read somewhere that updating costs around $79.99,-, or is this only for educational sets?

- what is the difference between 1.0 and 1.1, what firmware does the nxt1 set 8527 come with?

- some time ago I saw a comprehensive list of all pieces that were needed tot change form 8527 to 8547, I can't find it anymore

- does the software work under windows 7

- does it work with my current bluetooth connector, or do you need a special LEGO bluetooth connector?

- Any other suggestions that I should check befor buying this set secondhand?

- or should i just look around a little longer for a 8547?

Thanks for any answers or advice in advance

Jan

Hi Jan,

regarding changes, you probably meant this site where you can purchase a parts upgrade pack: http://inanimatereason.com/shop/viewitem.php?item=NXT12KIT

- Yes,

- Yes you can update the brick with a firmware from lego.com

- Afaik only the PC Software update is costly. Don't know about the price.

- Read the changelog for differences in the firmware.

- See link above for differences.

- Yes, Windows 7 works. Though, I am not sure about 64bit. @Jim? You probably know better.

- Should work with any BT stack, though different devices sometimes show different problems with connecting. You'll see when you have it. No Lego BT adapter is needed.

- You should check if the display is working. When I got my NXT 8527 in used condition it worked fine. But after a while the display didn't work anymore whilst the brick itself worked fine. This is a known problem and TLG replaced the brick at no cost. This was just a year ago.

- Here is what I did. Initially, I got 8527. Though, I felt the parts are not enough. I looked around and found someone on eBay who sold the complete parts from 8547, simply without software and electronic parts. Bazinga.

1. The brick is technically the same, at least on the outside. It may have had some internal hardware upgrades put to my knowledge, it is the same performance, processor, ... etc.

2. Both bricks can be updated to the latest software (firmware), and it is free. You can download the latest firmware from the lego mindstorms site.

3. NXT is very picky about which dongle to use. There are many flavors of blue tooth out there, and only few dongles work with NXT, not all.

4. Parts list, both have decent assortments od parts, the most obvious for me was that NXT uses large balls, NXT 2.0 uses small bionicle balls. Some people do not like bionicle. If you want a ist of parts included in both sets, check the inventories on bricklink.com.

5. The programming windows software does work under windows 7, both 32 and 64 bit.

6. Upgrade is FREE, do not get fooled..

7. From my recollection, the color sensor on NXT 2.0 is a bit better than the one in NXT 1.0. I think it detects MORE colors.

My personal opinion, 100$ is a good value, as the brick alone retails for about that much, and you are getting all the parts for free.

One BIG word of caution. Make sure the brick does not have any leaked battery damage ... otherwise you are throwing money away.

I am not going to answer all your answers in detail since the previous posters already did.

I went the same way (bought 8527 secondhand and upgraded to 8547) and everything worked out fine.

The only thing was that you can not install 8527 and 8547 software at the same time (on the same computer).

Here you can see the differences in parts:

http://static.robotclub.ab.ca/pages/nxt/InventoryComparison/nxt_1_vs_2.html

Thanks a lot for your quick and complete answers.

Most of my doubts are taken away, most important is to see the set in real life before buying I guess to check the screen and watch for possible leakage.

also thanks for the listing of the differences, a few special items aside I think I have most of the generic parts allready in my collection.

@Theo van Vroenhoven, why would you want both software versions running on the same computer? is there any advantage or is it just something I need to be aware off?

Most of my doubts are taken away, most important is to see the set in real life before buying I guess to check the screen and watch for possible leakage.

Just a note: Even if the screen seems to be defect, you should still be able to get a free replacement through the TLG support. And if it still works, there is a big chance that it becomes defect in the near future.

@Theo van Vroenhoven, why would you want both software versions running on the same computer? is there any advantage or is it just something I need to be aware off?

In order to build the models supplied with each set you have to follow the digital instructions. No instruction booklets are provided.

Also the sample programs are provided from within the software package.

It is not a big problem though ; de-install and install takes you about 10 minutes

Conclusion....do it! Seems like a fair price :thumbup: