Jim

Technic General Discussion

When did technic start using yellow and red axles? I remember, from the mindstorms nxt sets it was always grey is odd and black is even lengths

On 5/6/2020 at 8:29 AM, jaxxreal said:

Hi guys! Does anybody could point me out to good examples of rubber-band suspension?

Apologies for the late reply, but this Speed Champions set has a Ford F150 with rubber band suspension. It's incredibly well done. I get the feeling that it won't work in large models. 

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/ford-f-150-raptor-ford-model-a-hot-rod-75875

4 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Apologies for the late reply, but this Speed Champions set has a Ford F150 with rubber band suspension. It's incredibly well done. I get the feeling that it won't work in large models. 

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/ford-f-150-raptor-ford-model-a-hot-rod-75875

There is an example in the first technic ideas book. (I never build this.)

Folks, I am really mathematically challenged so I am asking a favor. 

Is there any way to get a 6:11 ratio with lego gears? Not possible with any single combinations, but perhaps with a series of them it could be done. I have a tough time understanding how gear ratios compound and how to use that to solve this problem. *huh*

13 hours ago, arieben said:

Folks, I am really mathematically challenged so I am asking a favor. 

Is there any way to get a 6:11 ratio with lego gears? Not possible with any single combinations, but perhaps with a series of them it could be done. I have a tough time understanding how gear ratios compound and how to use that to solve this problem. *huh*

Exact ratio with denominator 11 is impossible with classical meshing gears (as no Technic gear teeth number is divisible by 11), so you can look into differential-based system

Removed as mis read the requirement of 6:11

Edited by Doug72

A differential acts like an averager. The speed of the ring gear is the average of the speeds of the 2 axles that go in.

11/6 is the average of 10/6 and 12/6. So if one axle goes in with a speed of 10/6, and the other goes in with a speed of 12/6, the ring gear should turn at 11/6 times the original. When backdriven, this will be 6/11.

10/6 and 12/6 are both easy ratios.

On 7/24/2020 at 11:26 AM, RussianGuy said:

Exact ratio with denominator 11 is impossible with classical meshing gears (as no Technic gear teeth number is divisible by 11), so you can look into differential-based system

6 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

A differential acts like an averager. The speed of the ring gear is the average of the speeds of the 2 axles that go in.

11/6 is the average of 10/6 and 12/6. So if one axle goes in with a speed of 10/6, and the other goes in with a speed of 12/6, the ring gear should turn at 11/6 times the original. When backdriven, this will be 6/11.

10/6 and 12/6 are both easy ratios.

Excellent.. thanks so much, you two. I've figured out a setup. Indeed, easier than I expected with differentials.

1 minute ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

2019 1H Flagship: A car

2020 1H Flagship: A car!!

2021 1H Flagship: Two cars!!!

Is this Technic or Hot wheels...

Also, 2013 and 2015 1H flagships?

The Servo has stopped appearing on Lego shops in both the US and EU since June. I think it's discontinued. Other PF components are still listed, though. It'd be a shame if TLG phase out PF components completely.

43 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

It'd be a shame if TLG phase out PF components completely.

TLG just sell out their stock I think. It is usual for any company to update their line-up from time to time, especially electronics. Running two electronic platforms parallel, without a common connection isn't the goal anyway. It's a shame Lego doesn't use the possibilities of the PU components right now and just add them very sparcely in their current line-up.

Just putting out cars doesn't help... we rather get a dumb battery box in a vehicle with actual functions... :hmpf:

On 9/25/2020 at 2:53 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

It'd be a shame if TLG phase out PF components completely.

It worries me specially some 20 days ago I needed few parts from 3rd 42054 set and when I opened the box I decided to build Xerion. After some half an hour or so into the build it looks something fishy...after some time I realized no m-motor inside :ugh:...

So that is worrying since there is not even 8293 set available any more where I live...

Edit: oops answered to a very old post... x)

What I originally wanted to say:

After building the the summer technics sets except the Lambo and watching some videos about the osprey, I find it very strange, that every model contains some critical mechanical errors :| I hope 2021 will be better in this respect. =/

Edited by Gimmick

12 minutes ago, Gimmick said:

I hope 2021 will be better

Yeah, 2020 has been a bit crap (more than a bit, actually) for Technic. When the best set of the year is a micro set (and one based on a set from a previous year to boot), then we have a problem.

2021 does look slightly better, though.

@Rudivdk

Indeed, looks great in lime! Have you tried with the three hole rims in matte black? I think that could look very good, too.

Very interesting: say, how did you connect those three 1L beams to the axle connector at the front? 2L pin in the lower two 1L beams and lightsaber through all three 1L beams into the axle connector? That would be a useful way of connection.

8 minutes ago, johnnym said:

@Rudivdk

Indeed, looks great in lime! Have you tried with the three hole rims in matte black? I think that could look very good, too.

Very interesting: say, how did you connect those three 1L beams to the axle connector at the front? 2L pin in the lower two 1L beams and lightsaber through all three 1L beams into the axle connector? That would be a useful way of connection.

Thanx! I have those rims in matte black around somewhere, but I prefer the grey ones I think. I might get them out some day and put them on to see how it looks though. The three 1l lime beams are just stacked onto a DBG 4l axle with stop, and the last 1l of the axle is put into the connector end. Nothing fancy...

Just now, Rudivdk said:

The three 1l lime beams are just stacked onto a DBG 4l axle with stop, and the last 1l of the axle is put into the connector end. Nothing fancy...

Of course. But that thinking also just gave me the idea for how to get a replacement for the non-existing DBG 2L pin connector out of two DBG 1L beams connected with 2L pin and bar to connect to the next pair or other part with open pin.

On the America Lego.shop website, I 've noticed in the last few weeks almost all or all technics models are sold out..  The only offerings is the Lego PF large motor !!!! Is the rest rest of the world having the same issues??/ let us know

Chill my man.  Its the end of the year, a week before christmas.  Things are going to be gone. Also, if there is anything on this earth that is produced, distributed or otherwise shipped availability is going to be different than it has been in the past due to COVID-19.  I would not worry nor think this is some pattern indicating Technic and its "great demand"