Jim

Technic General Discussion

So it seems the B model centre of gravity is shifting from official designs to community ones.  I guess TLG has concluded that B models don't drive sales, and the effort of designing and quality-controlling them isn't worth it.  A shift toward a general expectation of community B models could be a positive thing for everybody, if the general LEGO-buying public were aware of it and knew where to look.  We just need to get the New York Times (or whatever) to publish an article about the phenomenon...   

Do the same observations hold in themes besides technic?

Edited by aeh5040

52 minutes ago, aeh5040 said:

Do the same observations hold in themes besides technic?

I don't have figures to back it up, but Technic has always been one of the few themes that had B-Model instructions (Model Team also had them but that theme is long gone). So I guess the phenomenon is stronger in Technic then anywhere else.

I think the other theme that has muliple model builds is the Creator 3-in-1 sets.  They are still around as far as I know.

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

the Creator 3-in-1 sets

Yes I know, but these are specifically branded almost as a subtheme. It's a niche within Creator, and will probably stick around for a while as such. Similar to the old (1990-ish?) 'Basic' sets with the Jeep+racer, Firetruck or House, and the old Technic universal sets. But a full theme line-up with B-models was only there on Technic and Model Team I think.

Found this recently:

lego-8295-technic-telehandler-lego_1_e45

Apparently 8295 was originally supposed to come with a poster! How cool would that have been? TLG should do that now; it would at least add value to sets and partially make up for the lack of a B-model.

7 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Found this recently:

lego-8295-technic-telehandler-lego_1_e45

For some reason I am unable to view this image. 

The page you are giving the link to gives a 403 forbidden error. 

Nope. Still forbidden.

But why is the image hosted on

https://www.worthpoint.com/

1 minute ago, higgins91 said:

what is this website
even the root is forbidden!

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/

That's not really strange, since it seems to be for thumbnails. The website itself is probably the only source which is allowed to get images from Thumbs.

Hmmm, now I suddenly do see an image.

12 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Think the site has problems. Shame, since it's the only image I could find.

Download the image and host it on Flickr or Bricksafe?!

Speaking of telehandlers (as we did in the middle of June)...

I just finished yet another truck and I fancy trying something different, like a telehandler using 42030 wheels and 5x11 panels for the boom so quite a large scale. Maybe PF and some sort of switchable gearbox as I only have 2 recievers. Does anyone have a particular favourite set or MOC I should be looking at for inspiration?

Edited by ukbajadave
Typo

1 minute ago, ukbajadave said:

Speaking of telehandlers (as we did in the middle of June)...

I just finished yet another truck and I fancy trying something different, like a telehandler using 42030 wheels and 5x11 panels for the boom so quite a large scale. Maybe PF and some sort of switchable gearbox as I only have 2 recievers. Does anyone have a particular favourite set or MOC I should be looking at for inspiration?

My favourite telehandler is @Lipko's: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-6302/Lipko/telehandler/#comments

Wow, the @Lipko one is what I envisioned only much much better than mine would turn out :classic: 

The Merlo roto is an interesting machine but verging into mobile crane territory. Also I dont have 3 (or any) SBricks.

Thanks for the pointers.

New way to store axles: 
1920x1179.jpg
Sorting them, I realized that I have quite a few milky white axles, whiteout knowing where they come from...