Jim

Technic General Discussion

You did not read the following posts, no problem dude, but don't tell I did not write it.

Can you please stop with accusations? Now that we know you are making a moc from 42078's parts, let's concentrate on that.

On 12/24/2019 at 10:13 AM, suffocation said:

Retconning worthy of an unmentionable crib-wielding, mojito-guzzling politician. Anyway, something like this is gonna be hard to tear apart unless the superstructure is off kilter.

Edit: pics removed because I can't stand thankless whiners.

Please refrain from making comments like these.

First of all, he did include the information, secondly (and more importantly), there is no need for posts like yours....period!

1 hour ago, That_LEGO_Guy said:

Are we the biggest forum on eurobricks? We're not far behind star wars in post count but well ahead in topics. 

Apparently, you know your numbers, so it all depends on how you define “biggest” :wink: 

Well we're definitely the best :grin:. And is it just me or is starwars way too overrated?! Besides wasn't it thanks to starwars that Lego changed the grey colour to bley?! And isn't also thanks to starwars that the game of thrones writers wrapped up the show way too quickly (because they was offered a job writing starwars) thereby ruining a perfectly good show?! To be fair starwars probably also helped to save TLG from its low spot in the early 2000s so, that's good!

1 hour ago, allanp said:

Well we're definitely the best :grin:. And is it just me or is starwars way too overrated?! Besides wasn't it thanks to starwars that Lego changed the grey colour to bley?! And isn't also thanks to starwars that the game of thrones writers wrapped up the show way too quickly (because they was offered a job writing starwars) thereby ruining a perfectly good show?! To be fair starwars probably also helped to save TLG from its low spot in the early 2000s so, that's good!

No, it was thanks to Starbucks that GOT got ruined. :laugh:

On 12/31/2019 at 6:15 AM, allanp said:

To be fair starwars probably also helped to save TLG from its low spot in the early 2000s so, that's good!

That’s a funny way to spell Bionicle.

Edited by Bartybum

16 hours ago, allanp said:

And isn't also thanks to starwars that the game of thrones writers wrapped up the show way too quickly (because they was offered a job writing starwars) thereby ruining a perfectly good show?!

IMO they should have wrapped up the show way earlier. Actually, they should have waited at least another 10 years before even starting working on it. Now I'm affraid A Song of Ice and Fire might never be finished.

I must admit to being obviously biased, but the Technic line has the most capacity for interesting mechanisms and builds. That would explain the sheer volume and variety of topics.

17 hours ago, allanp said:

IIRC (this was my dark age, so I'm only going off what's left on the internet) while Star Wars was the most important franchise, by way of being the most profitable, TLG have BIONICLE to thank the most for turning things around. Not only was it one of the few successful lines in a time when TLG bled cash, it also laid the blueprints for the design principles that are still used extremely successfully today.

Seeing as nobody has (yet!) gifted me Brick By Brick, I think it's about time I picked it up myself.

As for Game of Thrones, that was a hot mess well before D&D were tapped up for the ill-fated Star Wars venture. Unfortunately, GoT is probably the only definitive ending we will receive for A Song of Ice and Fire.

2 hours ago, Jay Psi said:

IIRC (this was my dark age, so I'm only going off what's left on the internet) while Star Wars was the most important franchise, by way of being the most profitable, TLG have BIONICLE to thank the most for turning things around. Not only was it one of the few successful lines in a time when TLG bled cash, it also laid the blueprints for the design principles that are still used extremely successfully today.

I was smack bang in the middle of the target market when BIONICLE was released, so it goes without saying that I was a huge fan of it, and I can tell you that it was ultra-popular. In fact, it was the only theme that turned a profit in 2003. In addition, BIONICLE did use a lot of studless construction, but Drome Racers (which is, unfairly in my opinion, nowhere near as well-regarded) was the theme that pioneered larger studless vehicular builds.

Good evening all. I have recently got myself the legendary 8880. I'm super excited to start building it but I'm cleaning the parts first. 

I have some hydrogen peroxide to soak the white bits in. I could only get 6%. Most of the tutorials I've found use 3%. Do you think 6 might be too strong? I don't want to ruin the parts. 

Has anyone used this method or had any experience with 6%?

6 hours ago, Jay Psi said:

I must admit to being obviously biased, but the Technic line has the most capacity for interesting mechanisms and builds. That would explain the sheer volume and variety of topics.

Seeing as nobody has (yet!) gifted me Brick By Brick, I think it's about time I picked it up myself.

As for Game of Thrones, that was a hot mess well before D&D were tapped up for the ill-fated Star Wars venture. Unfortunately, GoT is probably the only definitive ending we will receive for A Song of Ice and Fire.

I didn't know bionicle was so important. Thanks for a rather interesting tidbit :thumbup: So it seems starwars doesn't even have saving Lego going for it :laugh:

43 minutes ago, Oliver 79 said:

Good evening all. I have recently got myself the legendary 8880. I'm super excited to start building it but I'm cleaning the parts first. 

I have some hydrogen peroxide to soak the white bits in. I could only get 6%. Most of the tutorials I've found use 3%. Do you think 6 might be too strong? I don't want to ruin the parts. 

I've tried the peroxide thing, didn't get very good results but living in the UK you don't get many days of sun!

Edited by allanp

6 minutes ago, allanp said:

living in the UK you don't get many days of sun!

Yeah. That's my worry. Especially this time of year! 

1 hour ago, Oliver 79 said:

Could you not just dilute the mixture again to make it 3%? A 1:1 ratio of solution to water (ideally distilled) would halve the concentration from 6% to 3%.

If only we could do the inverse to increase the concentration of sunlight in the UK! :laugh:

13 minutes ago, Jay Psi said:

Could you not just dilute the mixture

I did think about that. I didn't know if it would work though. 

31 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Is it just me, or does Bricklink load significantly slower these days?

I have the same experience but thought that it has something to do with my ISP

Black curved pipes, but somehow this wing/spoiler in cab is not my thing

I much prefer the white windscreen edge. I think it makes more sense on the white cabin to have it white "all the way round" or something. But whatever.

You can also use a black half-width 7L beam and then a white half-width 7L beam. Both exist.

All white :thumbup:

Just now, Erik Leppen said:

You can also use a black half-width 7L beam and then a white half-width 7L beam. Both exist.

This is worth a try though :sweet: