Jim

Technic General Discussion

Hi guys,

I didn't want to start a new thread regarding this, but after Lego decided to stop allowing custom parts on Bricklink.com, we need an alternative. Please help me to convince BrickOwl.com to start a section for custom parts. See how you can help in this video, spread the word around 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ani5v9Kxsxo

And the previous video, where I expressed my opinion regarding Lego's decision to stop offering custom Lego parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGmk7OIRMSw

Cheers,

Bogdan

Is there a way to make a turntable without the small or the big turntable? I mean, 2 holes and and an axle do the function, but they easily break, they are not enough stable and strong to hold the (small) crane.

lego-turntable-2-x-2-with-medium-stone-gray-top-74340-27.jpg.7b8fbe836d29df614ec6dd8101e7d21f.jpgLEGO Turntable 2 x 2 with Medium Stone Gray Top (74340)

Edited by Doug72

9 hours ago, Doug72 said:

lego-turntable-2-x-2-with-medium-stone-gray-top-74340-27.jpg.7b8fbe836d29df614ec6dd8101e7d21f.jpgLEGO Turntable 2 x 2 with Medium Stone Gray Top (74340)

This one is too weak for a technic model.

9 hours ago, pleegwat said:

Wheel hubs maybe?

I'm making an alternate model of set 42078  and they are not available. I think I solved my problem, I will show you how in the next days! Thank you.

On 12/22/2019 at 8:18 AM, mpj said:

Is there a way to make a turntable without the small or the big turntable? I mean, 2 holes and and an axle do the function, but they easily break, they are not enough stable and strong to hold the (small) crane.

This might meet your requirements with  strong connection between rotating parts.
You just need to figure out how the top works will connect.
The two grey 5L beams fir inside a 7L x 5L frame

Edited by Doug72

On 12/22/2019 at 9:18 AM, mpj said:

You can reinforce this construction with small wheels, depending on your setup.

Basically what Doug posted, but with a longer liftarm and wheels driving over panels or something.

On 12/23/2019 at 11:46 AM, Jim said:

You can reinforce this construction with small wheels, depending on your setup.

Basically what Doug posted, but with a longer liftarm and wheels driving over panels or something.

Edited by Doug72

19 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Used 5L beams just to take photo.

I know :sweet: :thumbup:

Thanks for your help! But imagine a crane with this turntable, when the crane is full extended, the weight will dismantle the turntable... or not? :sceptic:

10 minutes ago, mpj said:

Thanks for your help! But imagine a crane with this turntable, when the crane is full extended, the weight will dismantle the turntable... or not? :sceptic:

Not if you support it with something.....maybe wheels :wink:

(of course, it depends on your entire setup)

2 hours ago, mpj said:

Not if the rotating plate is held on the top and bottom by wheels that are connected. Imagine a c-clamp with wheels. 

On 12/23/2019 at 3:07 PM, mpj said:

Only to see if it will work is to try it ,

Edited by Doug72

The only way I can think of is 2 holes and a threaded axle (and of course 2 nuts). But threaded axles are very old out-of-production parts from the studded era.

But more than anything, I wonder why you would want to have a turntable without a turntable. What problem are you trying to solve that the standard Technic turntables cannot solve?

Common sense would suggest that you give us at least a basic idea of your setup and why a standard turntable won't work. I get the language barrier, sure, but a couple of pics shouldn't be too much to ask for.

Maybe he's trying to make an alternative model that requires a turntable-like structure from a set that doesn't have a turntable.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

The interesting thing for me is that real cranes need to be ballasted so that they don't produce tensile loads on the turntable bearing. Perhaps something we should be aiming for on the models

otherwise, with the above idea, substitute the pin with axle for a steel bolt and be done with it.

14 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

But more than anything, I wonder why you would want to have a turntable without a turntable. What problem are you trying to solve that the standard Technic turntables cannot solve?

As I wrote, I'm making an alternate model of the 42078 and the turntable is not available there :wink:

13 hours ago, suffocation said:

Common sense would suggest that you give us at least a basic idea of your setup and why a standard turntable won't work.

The crane is similar to the Arocs one. In set 42078 there is no turntable, that's the reason if my question :sweet:

12 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Maybe he's trying to make an alternative model that requires a turntable-like structure from a set that doesn't have a turntable.

:excited:

1 hour ago, bonox said:

The interesting thing for me is that real cranes need to be ballasted so that they don't produce tensile loads on the turntable bearing. Perhaps something we should be aiming for on the models

otherwise, with the above idea, substitute the pin with axle for a steel bolt and be done with it.

Yes, I'm building a big platform so the crane is quite stable also without any stop ring. I will show everything in a dedicated topic once I will have completed the model.

Thanks everybody!

2 hours ago, mpj said:

As I wrote, I'm making an alternate model of the 42078

Retconning worthy of an unmentionable crib-wielding, mojito-guzzling politician. Anyway, something like this is gonna be hard to tear apart unless the superstructure is off kilter.

Edit: pics removed because I can't stand thankless whiners.

Edited by suffocation

Suggest you acquire either a Z28 or Z56 or Z60 turntable if you desire a strong rotating crane, that can be easilly incorporated into the supporting structure you are building.

WIP Photos are a good way to showing your build so that others can help with any problems encountered.

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

Retconning worthy of an unmentionable crib-wielding, mojito-guzzling politician. 

I don't answer you in Italian because we are on an international forum, but I don't find the exact words in English.. I can only say I don't like this kind of comments (and you often make this kind of comments).

5 minutes ago, mpj said:

[...]

You said " As I wrote, I'm making an alternate model of the 42078 [...]". You most certainly didn't include that information in your question and yet when other users tried to help you, you retorted as if it should've been a given.

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

You said " As I wrote, I'm making an alternate model of the 42078 [...]". You most certainly didn't include that information in your question and yet when other users tried to help you, you retorted as if it should've been a given.

On 12/22/2019 at 11:24 PM, mpj said:

I'm making an alternate model of set 42078  and they are not available. I think I solved my problem, I will show you how in the next days! Thank you.

C'mon dude.