Jim

Technic General Discussion

14 hours ago, ShowsOn said:

It's interesting that in Markus Kossman's interview with Sariel, he mentions one reason there is no B model on 42100 is they simply ran out of time to finalise a B model design.

That's actually good news. It's a good sign if the designers/engineers are brimming with so many ideas and creative work, that they are short of time. That means Technic is a healthy subtheme and, if at all, TLG needs to hire more designers.

I suspect that both C+ models don't have B-models for the reason that was speculated towards the end of last page - it'd take too much time making another profile. I can see TLG not really wanting to half-axle a C+ profile for a B-model (no achievements, no small videos, etc.), so it doesn't come as a surprise to me that they'd just completely omit it and focus on an A-model.

Either way I'm not fussed, because B-models take time away from A-models, and most of these A-models are very nice.

Edited by Bartybum
...i saw that sneaky edit

Also, in this case with licensed model, if You build B model, and previously will be applied stickers on some panels or beams, then it is much harder to build something so that those stickers looks also good on B-model. And again, then that B model should also be licensed, or then designer can't use panels or beams with stickers, which again can be really challenging.

38 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Also, in this case with licensed model, if You build B model, and previously will be applied stickers on some panels or beams, then it is much harder to build something so that those stickers looks also good on B-model. And again, then that B model should also be licensed, or then designer can't use panels or beams with stickers, which again can be really challenging.

Talk about a pain in the backside. I had to order extra panels for 42053.

Are there MOC vehicles that are both 4x4x4 and with a gearbox that has a single-ratio reverse that bypasses the gearbox?

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Let's spend some moments to mourn for the inconsolable loss of the unborn (B models) :cry_sad: 

I DO NOT like this direction TLG is taking.

3 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Let's spend some moments to mourn for the inconsolable loss of the unborn (B models) :cry_sad: 

Honestly I do not care because I look sets mainly as parts packs, and new C+ incompatibility with PU system will save me money as long as my PF elements work. And when it happens that they stop working I'll see what will be my interest; perhaps I'll quit LEGO and spent rest of my life's free time with another hobby (that is on standstill for some 15 years...)

I mean there have been good B-models in recent years (Mack Anthem, Tracked Loader, Car Transporter) and bad B-models (RTC, Crawler Crane).

And I can also understand that it's harder to do a B-Model on a big licensed model because to get the shape right, you need certain panels which may be complete obsolete on a B-model.

What I really can't understand is that with both the 42109 and especially the 42108 there aren't any. Thats just poor time management or laziness. I see many C-models (or are they called B-models in that instance?) are coming for both of em.

I fear for the time when the number of sets with B model in the new era is the same as the number of sets without B model in the old era....

12 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I fear for the time when the number of sets with B model in the new era is the same as the number of sets without B model in the old era....

Something tells me TLG have been slowly phasing out B-models since 2008, when the big sets lost the secondary manuals. This year we've had all alternate instructions going digital, and now it looks as if B-models themselves are going extinct.

And to think sets used to have multiple alternate builds... :cry_sad:

Has anybody made a moc that had:

-Independent suspension
-4wd
-Articulated steering using linear actuators and large turntable
-Claas tires scale. 

Should you have two XL motors, one in front and one in rear and turntable in the middle? That way there wont be an U joint weak link in the middle. 
I don't have two servos so articulated steering seems to be the way to go. 
After i have finished @efferman's dump truck, the offroad truck is my next project.. It will have a similar front end like the dump truck so i'm also puzzled what to put in the rear.. 

I for one am massively relieved that TLG has seen fit to retain models for at least the smaller sets, even if the instructions are digital only. I do like the Mobile Crane, but it still feels like we're getting only half a set. :look:

Please, cut the whining. If you need a B model so badly, come up with one yourself. Isn't that the whole point of Lego? Stimulate creativity?

Edited by suffocation

8 hours ago, suffocation said:

Please, cut the whining. If you need a B model so badly, come up with one yourself. Isn't that the whole point of Lego? Stimulate creativity?

Maybe accept simply that there are different types of builders? Those who like to imagine and build things themselves and those who like to follow instructions.

Providing a B-model actually stimulates children’s imagination. It shows that you can build something else from the same set. Otherwise it risks becoming a simple  display set ... Build once, play a bit and up to the next. Now that I think of it, maybe this helps Lego sell more sets! :devil: Whatever the case, it is less value for money, so it justifies complaining IMO.

25 minutes ago, WvG_853 said:

so it justifies complaining IMO.

And let's not forget that complaining on teh intarnet is going to make B models come back and turn the world into a better place.

6 minutes ago, suffocation said:

And let's not forget that complaining on teh intarnet is going to make B models come back and turn the world into a better place.

Stop trying to shame people. This is one of the best places to bring up discussion about it.

12 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Now that TLG has finally made a BOAT FLOATS, it's only a matter of time before the create a PLANE FLIES as well

Check out the 2020 City line-up...:laugh:

Link to Dutch website

Edited by Rudivdk
Link added

6 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Stop trying to shame people. This is one of the best places to bring up discussion about it.

Get a clue. I'm not trying to shame anyone. A place like Eurobricks should be more about sharing ideas and not petty grievances.

Edited by suffocation

8 hours ago, suffocation said:

Get a clue. I'm not trying to shame anyone. A place like Eurobricks should be more about sharing ideas and not petty grievances.

You get a clue. Clearly it isn’t a petty grievance if a large number of people that don’t like it feel the need to speak up about it.

1 minute ago, Bartybum said:

You get a clue. Clearly it isn’t a petty grievance if a large number of people that don’t like it feel the need to speak up about it.

Really? How interesting.