Jim

Technic General Discussion

Hey all. 

Set 42088 is being sold in Lidl this week for £6.99 (in the UK). Just picked up a couple of them. They're quite good little parts packs. 

44541725160_86a9d9ac14_b.jpg

Does anyone remember seeing a brick built technic figure? IIRC it was in a construction vehicle type thread so the fig had a hard hat. Probably posted in the last 12 months. I've tried searching but it's either too vague or too specific. Any help gratefully received 

On 9/7/2019 at 1:47 PM, ukbajadave said:

Does anyone remember seeing a brick built technic figure? IIRC it was in a construction vehicle type thread so the fig had a hard hat. Probably posted in the last 12 months. I've tried searching but it's either too vague or too specific. Any help gratefully received 

The only model I can think of was something by @kbalage (not sure it was you :blush: ) where he decorated a BuWizz to give it some anthropic resemblance.

That Technic-Space crawler crane is beyond awesome. Does anyone know if any such cranes really exist?

800x1067.jpg

Yesterday I saw a tow truck towing a freaking mobile crane. I was surprised! I didnt know tow trucks can lift such a thing. They have the same wheel size. Think of cabover 8285 towing 4-axle 42009.

I'm willing to bet that the tow truck would not be able to lift the crane off the ground, but it could lift the front of the crane up enough to move it. A 4 axle mobile crane like a Liebherr LTM 1070 4.2 only weighs about 40 tons, going for 10 tons per axle, so I don't think that's beyond the realm of possibility for a large tow truck. But, I think you may have actually been seeing a truck crane, not a mobile crane. There is a distinction, believe it or not. All terrain cranes are like 42009, and can be quite heavy. They have specialized carriers, and usually have single tires.  Truck cranes based on a standard truck chassis, minus the cab, and are lighter, so I think that is what you were seeing.

On 9/15/2019 at 2:08 PM, suffocation said:

The only model I can think of was something by @kbalage (not sure it was you :blush: ) where he decorated a BuWizz to give it some anthropic resemblance.

That Technic-Space crawler crane is beyond awesome. Does anyone know if any such cranes really exist?

800x1067.jpg

Well, real crawler cranes exist, some even have telescopic booms, but there is nothing like this. (Currently.) I'm sure such a thing could exist, but there is no direct real world equivalent.

Edited by Saberwing40k

38 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

I'm willing to bet that the tow truck would not be able to lift the crane off the ground, but it could lift the front of the crane up enough to move it. A 4 axle mobile crane like a Liebherr LTM 1070 4.2 only weighs about 40 tons, going for 10 tons per axle, so I don't think that's beyond the realm of possibility for a large tow truck. 

Indeed. Both the fork and the crane arm were employed to lift the front axle or two axles.

40 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

But, I think you may have actually been seeing a truck crane, not a mobile crane. 

If it looks like a mobile crane, has an undercarriage like a mobile crane, and has a superstructure like a mobile crane, then it's probably a mobile crane to me :laugh:

13 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

If it looks like a mobile crane, has an undercarriage like a mobile crane, and has a superstructure like a mobile crane, then it's probably a mobile crane to me :laugh:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ba/bc/af/babcaf26e1b292563d2f4c7506a6e9d5.jpg  But then I found the post on Reddit https://old.reddit.com/r/Hookit/comments/7ylwfp/interspecies_tow/

Then I came across this crane http://www.roadrunnertowncrane.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/IMG_0769a-1024x536.png

A heavy recovery tow truck is a crane in its own right, often with similar load capacities to a smaller mobile crane, but generally a smaller operating radius. There are also two types - the fixed boom and the rotators like this one. Either way, the general idea for a tow is not to lift the thing off the ground but to either raise the steer tyres off the  ground  to make manoeuvring the thing easier or merely to add enough weight to the tow vehicle that it can tug the load along without spinning its own tyres.

IMG_2229.jpg

Edited by bonox

21 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Yesterday I saw a tow truck towing a freaking mobile crane. I was surprised! I didnt know tow trucks can lift such a thing. They have the same wheel size. Think of cabover 8285 towing 4-axle 42009.

Don't forget to take pics.  :classic: 

Most of the weight would be towards the back with the superstructure and counter weights. Lifting the front could be done. They also could flat tow the crane if it's too heavy lift and wheels aren't damaged.

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

Don't forget to take pics

I was riding a motorbike. No hands left to take pic.

The tow truck doesnt look like a heavy duty one in the many pictures you guys gave. It looks like a regular cabover truck with the tow crane and tow fork.

6 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

It looks like a regular cabover truck with the tow crane and tow fork.

They're all pretty much the same - even the rotator is a small mod to a standard truck. Dennis has a heap of great examples. This one has forks and a straight lift boom (it doesn't rotate). They are common in single, dual or triple rear axle variants.

cc4f25f79b15191636e990932b748559.jpg

There are even some crazy variants :)

99b8eb12d810df3255f05d576c8e6b21.jpg

or dinky little ones like this

164447862.jpg

Edited by bonox

2 hours ago, bonox said:

or dinky little ones like this

What I saw is more of that, with two rear axles

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

The only thing with a flat tow is that it can only be done with a running engine other wise is steering a hell of a job. Like clutch or gearbox problems. 

On 9/20/2019 at 1:40 PM, Saberwing40k said:

But, I think you may have actually been seeing a truck crane, not a mobile crane.

Today I saw a real 5-axle mobile crane near my place. Its wheels are 1.5 to 2 times bigger than those on the trucks and the towed so-called "mobile crane" that I saw the other day. So I think you're right.

13 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Today I saw a real 5-axle mobile crane near my place. Its wheels are 1.5 to 2 times bigger than those on the trucks and the towed so-called "mobile crane" that I saw the other day. So I think you're right.

I see Liebherr LTM 4 a d 5 axle mobile crane every weekend and they are equipped with 17.5-25 tire which has approximately 1400mm overall diameter, so you can calculate...

Numbers of sets with no B model through the years:

2012: 0

2013: 0

2014: 0

2015: 0

2016: 1

2017: 0

2018: 1

2019: FOUR!!!

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

I already didn't like that there was no paper manual for B models in most sets, but no B model at all is very bad.

I don't see any reason at all to not have created a B model for 42099. For 42100, Liebehr may have smaller machinerie which could have be built as a B model.

Unfortunately, with regards to B models, I feel that some sets are just too specialized to have a B model, while still having it be different from the A model. I find it just as bad honestly when the set has a B model that is just changing the topping, like 9398. Honestly, would 42099 be any better if it had a B model that was just the same chassis with a different body? I don't think so. I also think that licensing comes into play, because 3 of the 4 models this year that don't have B models are licensed. Or, due to the ongoing Control+ development, there was not enough time to spare to make B models. It may also be that with Control+ models, there are no B models because that would require coming up with a whole new profile, and all of the attendant crap like achievements.

Just now, Saberwing40k said:

because 3 of the 4 models this year that don't have B models are licensed

I don't really think license would play a major factor, as the Corvette has a generic unlicensed B model.

21 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Numbers of sets with no B model through the years:

2012: 0

2013: 0

2014: 0

2015: 0

2016: 1

2017: 0

2018: 1

2019: FOUR!!!

I suspect TLG very well know what they are doing. Perhaps their market research suggests that nowadays most people buying big sets do not rebuild. (I wouldn't be surprised).

Certainly creativity/ability of designers is not the issue here. From year 2019, both corvette and car transporter have very good B-models. From 2018, the rally car, forklift, and first responder have good B-models, and the Mack truck has an exceptional B model.

So "no B model" may very well be intentional.

We can take this as a challenge/opportunity :classic:

On 9/29/2019 at 1:52 PM, iLego said:

I suspect TLG very well know what they are doing. Perhaps their market research suggests that nowadays most people buying big sets do not rebuild. (I wouldn't be surprised).

Certainly creativity/ability of designers is not the issue here. From year 2019, both corvette and car transporter have very good B-models. From 2018, the rally car, forklift, and first responder have good B-models, and the Mack truck has an exceptional B model.

So "no B model" may very well be intentional.

We can take this as a challenge/opportunity :classic:

It's interesting that in Markus Kossman's interview with Sariel, he mentions one reason there is no B model on 42100 is they simply ran out of time to finalise a B model design.