Jim

Technic General Discussion

OH! I don't know the end of the hook is a standard ball connector @____@

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

It's not really new :

8201-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

That set is from 2011. :wink:

And even this year, the Arctic Mobile Exploration Base's crane truck made use of this technique :

60195_alt1.jpg

Uwe's creations through the year:

2011: Super car
2012: Logging truck
2013: Race car
2014: Volvo Loader
2015: Race car
2016: Super car
2017: Tow truck
2018: Race car
2019: Super car

It makes me wonder why Uwe designs that many cars. Like, does no one else in the Technic designer team wants to design a car. Or maybe Uwe is just too good at designing cars that whenever there is a car in the product lineup the job automatically goes to him. The only exception is the Bugatti, which goes to Aurelien, which kinda makes sense because the brand is French and Aurelien is French. Other than that, it feels like a common occurence in workplace: when you're just so good at doing sth that you're stuck doing it for a long time. 

Or maybe there are some people that are interested in designing cars, but they don't dare to snatch it from Uwe. Kinda like why Milan said he would never take up a motorbike set, because some other guys would kill him.

Or maybe all of the above.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Uwe's creations through the year:

2019: Super car

Sounds good :classic:. So should we speculate about a bis scale supercar for 2H already or is it probably the next UCS model for 2020? Where do you get this information from?

Just now, brunojj1 said:

Sounds good :classic:. So should we speculate about a bis scale supercar for 2H already or is it probably the next UCS model for 2020? Where do you get this information from?

Erm the supercar in 2019 is the Porsche 42096...

11 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Erm the supercar in 2019 is the Porsche 42096...

But it doesn't have any signs like Big Porsche and Chiron. I'd say that it's a 1H half-flagman rather a supercar. And 2H according to rumours is UCS McLaren Senna (how I wish something else :wink:)

17 minutes ago, Void_S said:

But it doesn't have any signs like Big Porsche and Chiron. I'd say that it's a 1H half-flagman rather a supercar. And 2H according to rumours is UCS McLaren Senna (how I wish something else :wink:)

I think more that next year we will have something like Bentley (Porsche 2 years ago, this year Chiron...they are all family)...and thus years Porsche is not even I terms of shape (IMHO) as near as good looking like 42056...despite that I like McLaren as a brand, not just as F1 team

3 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I've just realized that 42039 is now almost completely doable in dark azure. The only missing piece is https://brickset.com/parts/design-6536.

Anyhow, can anyone attempt a 42039 A in dark azure and share the result? I don't have the 42039, and plan to get one, but don't really like the green.

I have one still built. Could easily swap the panels. But I need to finish the remaining reviews and I am working on my robot project.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

I have one still built. Could easily swap the panels

I'll wait for your pictures then. I think a 42070, a 42077 and a 42083 would suffice. 42039 needs 8 curved panels while 42077 only has 7 in dark azure, so maybe you can leave the color incongruity in one rear wheel and hide it with perspective.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

42070 and 42077 both have dark azure and white as main colors and red as the accent. 42039 has green and white as main colors and red as accent. Their pallets are similar, so I think a dark azure 42039 would look very pleasing :wub:

Anyone game to build a large crawler crane, the new parts lend themselves to it, new sprockets for larger track base, and the quadrants for the slew ring

Evening all, I'm not sure if this is worth a topic of its own so I'll post it here first and see how it goes.

I'm trying to motorise the large pneumatic pump 6152004 from 42053 Volvo EW160, this is my test frame so far.

800x696.jpg

The M motor is almost able to compress the spring but certainly not once any hoses are connected. So has anyone done this already and made it easy for me? If not is the next step to gear down more for torque or go to an L motor?

You already mentioned two obvious answers yourself - use another motor, or use different gearing; a less obvious solution you may not have thought about yet is using two pumps that operate in opposite direction (like a 2-cylinder engine, inline or boxer). Why? Well, a pneumatic pump has an internal spring to make the rod come up after you release it. Part of the motor's energy goes into compressing the spring. If you use 2 pumps, the internal springs of the pumps are cancelling each other out.

Also, you may want to check if the actual total air flow is actually larger than when you use (one or more) small pumps at higher speed. The small pumps are meant to be used with a motor, after all.

Use large motor, add some flywheel.

Also, really check, if internal volume of this pump is really larger. As there is also spring inside of it, maybe internal volume is the same also.

Thank you all for your input. I conducted a non scientific test for volume, connecting a large cylinder directly to the hand pump and then to the small 6L pump. Full extension was just over 2 pumps with the big and 6 or 7 with the small so the air volume is definitely larger per stroke. However, usually when I build motorised pumps I use small pumps so straight away the effort is halved.

@Erik Leppen I very much like the idea of two opposed pumps, I can imagine one being at full compression when the other is fully extended but if driven by a single cam I think they would have to be offset and thus the frame grows ever larger? (Also I only have the one pump :classic:)

I will take something apart to get an L motor as I think a further geared up M motor will still simply stall.

Attempting to motorise the hand pump is a fun side project but ultimately I suspect 2 small pumps at full speed will produce equivalent volume to 1 large pump running slower due to the forces required to compress it.

Many of you should be familiar with power creep, the trend in which characters gradually receive power boost to keep the series interesting and ongoing.

Now replace "characters" with "sets" and "power" with "size and price".

I've just found out that Volvo ZEUX has 1167 pieces, and Volvo EW160E has 1166 pieces.

I've never thought that these two sets come close in piece count. It feels like the EW160E has part inflation.

5 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I've just found out that Volvo ZEUX has 1167 pieces, and Volvo EW160E has 1166 pieces.

I've never thought that these two sets come close in piece count. It feels like the EW160E has part inflation.

It has many details...and ZEUX is (IMHO) simpler build.

I feel like 42082 is the best creation so far by Lego Technic. It's huge, it's Technic-ish, its build is pleasant, its looks is coherent, its details are well-thought, and it works like a charm. Not all big sets can tick all those boxes. The next big set BWE misses the last box.

Edit: Sorry, I missread. This post can be deleted.

Edited by zoo