Jim

Technic General Discussion

Dunno - they're slow models, anyway, so you'd have to be pretty distracted to let them hit a wall and stand there mouth agape with your finger still glued to the remote.

16 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

It could be a safety feature, to keep from choking little Johnny or lopping his fingers off. 

Most probably it is! The rotation must be stopped when something (rotating superstructure, crane arm etc.) stalls touching the limiter, whereas the TLG wheels don't provide enough friction to really stall trying to push the wall.
I tried to do that (wanted to reach the power battery overheat) with modified 9398 (with no diffs and very strong reduction), so it started jumping instead of stalling.

I don’t know if this the right thread, but I just wanted to share my surprise. Normally I only build Lego Technic sets. As many others here I have often expressed my frustration about the one piece per image instructions approach of Lego. I clearly prefer the more challenging old school instructions. I thought this was a general Lego approach, but on a holiday I have been building a regular Lego Christmas set and to my surprise I discovered it contains multiple pieces per image. If you don’t find the pieces corresponding to the image first, you will surely miss something. These Lego Christmas sets are marked as 12+. A real shame Lego is not applying the same logic for Lego Technic 12+ sets ... Maybe we should start a petition?

4 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

I don’t know if this the right thread, but I just wanted to share my surprise. Normally I only build Lego Technic sets. As many others here I have often expressed my frustration about the one piece per image instructions approach of Lego. I clearly prefer the more challenging old school instructions. I thought this was a general Lego approach, but on a holiday I have been building a regular Lego Christmas set and to my surprise I discovered it contains multiple pieces per image. If you don’t find the pieces corresponding to the image first, you will surely miss something. These Lego Christmas sets are marked as 12+. A real shame Lego is not applying the same logic for Lego Technic 12+ sets ... Maybe we should start a petition?

No, we shouldn't. Because it's just a matter of personal preference. I, for one, find many parts per step to be much more exhausting (and boring) than few parts per step. And I want to have fun with building from instructions, MOCing is struggling enough. Maybe I wouldn't bother with buying sets if they were exhausting/boring to build.

The difference between system and Technic (as it was also discussed numerous times) is that system models can be built in layers so it's easier to detect where parts go. On the other hand, studless Technic is usually not built in layers. In some cases, there may be layers so more parts could de inserted in some specific steps, but that would be against consistency, I guess.

*I honestly don't get all the fuss about instructions. If you want more challenge, skip steps, build subassemblies without looking at the callout, whatever. You can build the way you like, but in the other case (many parts per step), you couldn't decite to build in a casual way.

Edited by Lipko

In old (studded) Technic instructions, the pieces added in one step were all over the place, without any sort of coherence. You were building everything at the same time. The current (studless) instructions at least stick to building one thing at a time. This requires more steps, yes, but it also makes the build modular and focused, and, I think, more educational.

Also I'm not so sure this is particular to Technic. It's no different in any other recent set I built from instructions. Maybe there are somewhat more parts per step, but I don't think there are more part types per step. I think system builds just require more of the same part in one step on average, which makes it possible to condense instructions a bit. But on Architecture it's even fewer parts per step than normal. Which is understandable, because Architecture sets are more likely to be picked up by people new to Lego.

The "too many steps" argument reminds me of the "I hate numbered bags" argument. If you don't like numbered bags, empty them all into a single pile. If you don't like all the microsteps, build five steps at a time.

I did not think about the layer argument ... Good to hear that there are people who like the current instructions. I nevertheless think the current Technic instructions are in line with an overall tendency of dumbing down everything in order not to turn off/offend somebody. This is also reflected in the color vomit and the introduction of all these coloured axles. A bit of a challenge does not hurt!

13 minutes ago, WvG_853 said:

I nevertheless think the current Technic instructions are in line with an overall tendency of dumbing down everything in order not to turn off/offend somebody. This is also reflected in the color vomit and the introduction of all these coloured axles. A bit of a challenge does not hurt!

I completely agree with this. Anyone who's been working in education for a significant amount of time will probably tell you that, while the average smart kid is getting smarter, the average dunce is veering dangerously towards utter cluelessness, and the latter's number is increasing exponentially. Unfortunately, TLG - much like most other companies - have to pander to the lowest common denominator if they want to stay in business, hence all the dumbing down.

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

The "too many steps" argument reminds me of the "I hate numbered bags" argument. If you don't like numbered bags, empty them all into a single pile. If you don't like all the microsteps, build five steps at a time.

White it is true for numbered bag you cannot apply the same for build steps. You simply cannot build more than it is available on your current page of instructions. Same applies to old Technic instructions with multiple pieces per step. 

TLG has introduced a part outlining feature for pieces used in current step. I think this definitely can be used to move towards more parts per step/page.

9 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

I nevertheless think the current Technic instructions are in line with an overall tendency of dumbing down everything in order not to turn off/offend somebody. This is also reflected in the color vomit and the introduction of all these coloured axles. A bit of a challenge does not hurt!

Easier instructions for a given model, is the same as a more complex model for given instruction difficulty. So, these easier instructions - or "dumbed down" as you call it - open the door to increasing complexity of models! And sets are surely a lot more intricate than 20 years ago.

I have built a few sets (not Technic though, but the same argument holds) together with someone not used to Lego building - I can tell you he's having plenty of challenge with the current instructions. So if people wonder, why are instructions made so simple, then I'd like to ask: why would you make them deliberately harder?

Simpler instructions expand the "reach" of the products to more customers who may have not the same skill level.  They have to start somewhere to get them hooked and maintain that revenue stream.

A fun challenge would be to toss out the instructions and build the set based on the box pictures. 

5 hours ago, dr_spock said:

A fun challenge would be to toss out the instructions and build the set based on the box pictures.

I usually do that if I ever find myself building a Mixel. It's surprisingly challenging.

@Erik Leppen I see your points and I understand the reasoning of TLG. I can just share my personal experience: I am an experienced Lego Technic builder, but two of my most memorable recent builds were for a large part thanks to the complex old school style instructions: 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig and the Pimp up my Porsche instructions by @jb70. Compare building the latter to the standard Porsche instructions! It’s another level of complexity!

It would be defendable from my point of view to have sets addressed at beginners and sets addressed to more experienced builders and that this is reflected as well in the way the instructions are made.

Anyway, I know this is a lost battle ...

Hi all. 

Has anyone used the 'bricks and pieces' service recently? 

I noticed the new orange gear selector is in there, but every time I go to the checkout there's an 'oops, there was a problem' message. 

I wonder if it's just these new pieces causing a problem. 

1 hour ago, Oliver 79 said:

Hi all. 

I noticed the new orange gear selector is in there, but every time I go to the checkout there's an 'oops, there was a problem' message. 

Nope, I've manage to order some 

1 hour ago, Oliver 79 said:

Hi all. 

I got mine just fine. Maybe the store country changes between customer service and checkout?

Hmm. Strange. @LucyCol, I guess your in the uk. If it works for you I must be doing something wrong!

Another thing it was doing was changing my region to the US. 

I'll keep trying. 

Hey guysI need to gather some opinions: what way of MOC presentations is preferred by you - new finished MOC from the first time with the feeling of surprise or beginning with WIP stage and posting  update step by step?

I always use the step by step form and I admit that the final MOC, even being good, some believe it was :blush: , loses notoriety by being so exposed. I have always done this to share ideas and steps of construction and although only rarely have any ideas served someone I think it has already been worth it.

Glad to see Technic invading into other themes as TLG tries to make things more functional.

This modular set has the Technic suspension arm being used as a tow arm for a city scale truck. Also uses this Technic piece which has ironically not appeared in Technic sets so far.

10264-1.jpg?201812030159