Jim

Technic General Discussion

42 minutes ago, Xewyz2001 said:

I was wondering , did anyone have any problems with TLG Customer Service when replacing parts? Because today I received my "replacement" of an IR receiver, which resulted to be a WeDo 2.0 medium motor :sceptic: . This is the first time this happens , I had 4 successful replacements before, so it was a not very happy surprise.

TLG has replaced a few parts for me, I would just contact them again and tell them what happened, I'm sure they will send another part

3 hours ago, Xewyz2001 said:

I was wondering , did anyone have any problems with TLG Customer Service when replacing parts? Because today I received my "replacement" of an IR receiver, which resulted to be a WeDo 2.0 medium motor :sceptic: . This is the first time this happens , I had 4 successful replacements before, so it was a not very happy surprise. Awaiting their answer on this now.

I had different experience. For my Xerion Saddle trac I bought 42057 set mainly because of seat and what a surprise missing parts (when I opened the box) were among some pins and this two parts:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=27940&idColor=85

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=24116&idColor=85#T=C&C=85

Few months ago I have contacted Lego Customer Service and no response so far...In  previus occassions they sent me all missing parts correctly

In the Lego House there's a dinosaur that is built with Technic elements and 3 meters tall. So the BWE is nowhere near the upper limit of the Technic system. What we had is only the limit of a commercial product.

6 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

In the Lego House there's a dinosaur that is built with Technic elements and 3 meters tall. So the BWE is nowhere near the upper limit of the Technic system. What we had is only the limit of a commercial product.

Fairly certain all those large sculptures have an internal steel frame... plus they usually glue them together.  And also.. I don't believe there are any moving parts on it...

So for 'legitimate'.... 'child-buildable... and within the limits of ABS plastic gears... the BWE really is at the upper limit...

There is an interview with Milan Reindl in magazine Týden (Week) in Czech Republic. There are some small details worth mentioning:

- there are 11 men in Technic developent team, no woman

- Mack is Milan's 15th model, he is also mentioning that he spend hundreds of hours on B model (garbage truck)

- The most sucessfull model in regards of sales is 42065 Tracked racer

- Milan is most proud about 42069 Extreme adventure and Mack garbage truck

- He likes to make planes and race cars most, on the other hand he is not into motorcycles at all

It sounds like the interview could be a good insight into the world of a Technic Designer.  

Do you have a link to a web page with the interview?  I'm not sure how Google translate will handle it but, it'd be nice to give it a go :) 

Let's see if I miss anyone

- Markus
- Uwe
- Milan
- Olav Krøigaard (42053)
- Michael T Jeppesen (42054)
- Aurelien Rouffiange (42038)
- Lars Krogh Jensen LKJ (42025)
- Lars Thygesen (42063)
- Samuel Tacchi. I think this guy is new. He works on 42063 BMW B model.
- Alfred Pedersen

Still 1 name to go. There's the guy  Andy Woodman. I'm not sure this guy counts. He's not a designer. His position is Senior Design Manager for Lego Technic.

And there's also Jeppe Jul Jensen, the guy who do the presentation in the technic designer videos. I dont know if I remember this right, he designed the 9398, but no longer designs Technic sets.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

54 minutes ago, Boulderer said:

It sounds like the interview could be a good insight into the world of a Technic Designer.  

Do you have a link to a web page with the interview?  I'm not sure how Google translate will handle it but, it'd be nice to give it a go :) 

It is in printed magazine and most of the questions are for people not familiar with lego or the mentioned facts were published before (like how Milan got the job at TLG or how he started with lego in general).

46 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

He counts. He designed 42055.

Yes, I noticed that, he made a video with Milan reindi about it.

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

No, Markus designed the 42055 A and Aurelien designed the 42055 B. Andy had a role in the development of 42056 Porsche.

Really, I swore Andy designed the A model...

@Aventador2004 You can see for yourself:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/technic/explore/designer-blogs/monster-mining-machine

Andy is a manager, so I dont think he did the designing at all. The video that you saw might be the interview with Sariel last summer. In that video there is a question about what makes such a huge set as BWE possible, and Andy answered that question. That doesnt mean he actually designed the set.

Anyone has any idea why motors for propulsion in RC sets (like XL motor in 42070, 42030) aren't connected through clutch gears but those for normal functions are (like XL motor in 42055)? When an RC model hits the wall and the user unknowingly keeps the remote on, shouldn't the motors stall and possibly overheat, just as when the normal functions reach their ends but the switch is still on?

5 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Anyone has any idea why motors for propulsion in RC sets (like XL motor in 42070, 42030) aren't connected through clutch gears but those for normal functions are (like XL motor in 42055)? When an RC model hits the wall and the user unknowingly keeps the remote on, shouldn't the motors stall and possibly overheat, just as when the normal functions reach their ends but the switch is still on?

The open differentials take care of that.

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

The open differentials take care of that.

There's no open differential in 42030, 42065, 9398, 8275

4 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

There is gear reduction in the Volvo, though, which acts as a preventative measure against damage. Watch @Sariel's 42030 review. As for the others, who knows.

Edited by Maaboo35

9 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

There is gear reduction, though, which acts as a preventative measure against damage. Watch @Sariel's 42030 review.

Still don't get how gear reduction serves as a preventative measure

31 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

42030 and 9398 each have two open diffs.

Just now, suffocation said:

42030 and 9398 each have two open diffs.

But when the model hits a wall then both wheels on the same axle stall. How does the open diff help then?